Hacking PAL PS3 at 480i/p

KRFP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Is it possible to run PAL games at 480i/p with homebrew?

I'd imagine the lack of 60 Hz SD support is purely a software lock from Sony.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes, I can run American games in 60Hz just fine even over analog output; I assume the console simply reads the title-to-be-launched's PARAM.SFO, sees that it does not declare 576/50 support, and defaults to whatever else is enabled instead

KRFP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yes, I can run American games in 60Hz just fine even over analog output; I assume the console simply reads the title-to-be-launched's PARAM.SFO, sees that it does not declare 576/50 support, and defaults to whatever else is enabled instead
Nice one, thanks. Does that mean you can actually enable 480i/p/60 in the settings with homebrew? I really no next to nothing about homebrew on the PS3.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nice one, thanks. Does that mean you can actually enable 480i/p/60 in the settings with homebrew? I really no next to nothing about homebrew on the PS3.
No, it means that games NOT supporting 576 resolutions (like most american and japanese ones) will run in 480 (if you have disabled 720/1080 in the console's settings, and/or the game doesn't support them)

You can use a param.sfo editor to change the list of supported resolutions (though I've never tried)

KRFP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
No, it means that games NOT supporting 576 resolutions (like most american and japanese ones) will run in 480 (if you have disabled 720/1080 in the console's settings, and/or the game doesn't support them)

You can use a param.sfo editor to change the list of supported resolutions (though I've never tried)
I see. I guess if you did the same on a stock PS3, it'd just tell you the game's not supported, or something? It'd be interesting to see how PAL discs run on a soft-modded PAL PS3 with 480i/p enabled and all other resolutions disabled (using that param.sfo editor).

Last edited by KRFP,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess if you did the same on a stock PS3, it'd just tell you the game's not supported, or something?
It should work as-is, since all but 3 PS3 softwares are region free

It'd be interesting to see how PAL discs run on a soft-modded PAL PS3 with 480i/p enabled and all other resolutions disabled (using that param.sfo editor).
Of course, you would need to backup your disc and edit the backup :)
(Maybe you can pull some trickery with modding a game update, but that's adding to the complexity - try without updates at first)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?