Hacking RELEASE Painless Linux - it's Linux, but painless (Windows, Mac OS, Linux & Android)

D

Deleted User

IMG_20180705_002121.jpg

Why it it's giving me this error?

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Tired of trying to boot the useless Linux on your Switch without succeeding ? Tired of reading through the 57 guides I made just to see a black screen or USB error ? Fear no more, for I have come with...

~ Painless Linux ~

Grab it while it's hot : https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux
Everything is explaned in the README of the repository.

Now you can boot Linux from any system (Windows, Mac OS, Linux or Android), without any extra work :
  1. Download the disk image
  2. Burn it on your SD card using Etcher or dd
  3. Clone or download the repository and use the provided scripts (for Android you need to copy 2 files)
The system is an improved version of @00Cancer's GNOME Arch Linux image :
  • sudo
  • chromium browser
  • scripts to manage GPU clock profiles (courtesy of @Gigaa)
  • SSH server enabled by default
  • automatic root filesystem expand to fit your SD card

I will try to keep it updated, with incremental updates, if applicable. I will also keep this post minimal, as everything is already in the README.

Have fun with your almost functional Linux !
Nice

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Tempers,

I rebuild the painless-linux kernel with applied Lakka patches. That means we finally have bluetooth sound, fixed battery indicator and Joycon support in Painless Linux.

Install Painless-Linux as described here:

https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux

Then extract the archive attached to this post and patch your Painless-Linux setup as described in the readme.txt.

Big thx to @natinusala for your help. :)

Attachments

• PainlessLinuxPatch.rar
    8.4 MB · Views: 379

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Tempers,

I rebuild the painless-linux kernel with applied Lakka patches. That means we finally have bluetooth sound, fixed battery indicator and Joycon support in Painless Linux.

Install Painless-Linux as described here:

https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux

Then extract the archive attached to this post and patch your Painless-Linux setup as described in the readme.txt.

Big thx to @natinusala for your help. :)

Thank you DarkOrb! I wasn't able to properly use lakka's patches... Thank you!

Reactions: DarkOrb

Metion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It would be really helpful if there was a way to move the cursor with the joycons, because the touchscreen is not that accurate.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the current downsides to Linux? The battery issue is fixed so it's just the screen burning right?

EDIT: 128 GB SD cards won't work at all?

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

kaPutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be really helpful if there was a way to move the cursor with the joycons, because the touchscreen is not that accurate.

qjoypad is looking promising, I've got it running my mouse with the joycons but it'll take a bit of fiddling to get the profile ideal. The Arch repositories appear to point to a non-ARM version, so I used the version in panzi's git profile (sorry I cannot post links).

kaPutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Tempers,

Thanks a lot DarkOrb! I've I can confirm my battery % is now being correctly reported, and the joycon (rail) is now being recognized.

Reactions: tiliarou

SkillingCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great ! I already got the audio working but not the joycons ! Imma use my switch as a rainway client
Also, DarkOrb, does your switch reboot properly to RCM when you tell linux to shutdown ? Because with the dtb from lakka, mine always freezes. I'll test that when coming back home

Edit : Everything works just fine. Thank you !! :)

Last edited by SkillingCat,
Reactions: lordelan

bakedbeans

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Is it possible to redirect the bootlog over usb to my computer to be able to log it, even in case of problems? Scrolls by far too fast to read it.

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to boot Linux, but it won't show anything other than a black screen. I'm using the switch Linux loader app, I've rebooted to horizon and tried again several times, but nothing works. I have used SX OS, uveI heard that it causes issues with Linux, is that my problem?

Joshywooful

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having trouble with booting Painless Linux on my Switch. The boot gets to the stage of "Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2..." and then just constantly scrolls down with

"mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt." and then repeating lines of "mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt." along with a SDHCI register dump.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble with booting Painless Linux on my Switch. The boot gets to the stage of "Waiting for root device /dev/mmcblk0p2..." and then just constantly scrolls down with

"mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt." and then repeating lines of "mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt." along with a SDHCI register dump.
Clean the contacts of your SD card, insert/remove it a few times, and try again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: