Crimsonclaw111

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OHNO

Skip. No reason to get this when something like a Nexus 7 is much more capable with emulators, bluetooth, and portability for not too much more imo.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't mind yearly hardware updates as long as the console itself is cheap. like $50 AUD cheap. This is since it would be obsolete in the next year anyway and charging for anything more than that is just a rip off to me if it will be outdated in a years time.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's reasons like this that I didn't want the handheld we was talking about the other day CGW or something

Not joining a hardware rat race to just be able to play games, hell I don't even do that on phones I got what I got I'll upgrade when I feel like it lol

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By November-ish of 2014, it is said smartphones should have the graphics of the ps3/xb360. I would love to see an Ouya get those kind of graphics. It will be interesting to see what indie devs do with the equal to 7th console-gen horse power w/o having to shell out cash to Microsoft.

The China Android-HDMIs seem to sell very well and they have had a 3-9 month refresh rate. I heard many decent Indie devs use them to test apps on the big screen before bringing them to google play. An official device from non-china that refreshes only once a year could be a great device for those already rocking the Chinese sticks.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Meh... I can't say I'll see the OUYA and the Steambox as actual consoles... I'll probably get an OUYA if they don't convert the price from 100$ to 100€, if they do that like they do with normal consoles over here, no way I'll buy it, if it'll have an update like phones, it should have a decent conversion like phones (unlike consoles, phone prices are properly converted to €).

Well, can't say I'll do any dedicated gaming on it if I do get one, I'll probably just use it to emulate PSX and N64, since my PSX and N64 are broken atm. z.z

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lol people pretending this is a bad thing.
Just gotta bitch about everything I guess.

Anyway, considering how absurdly cheap the little cube is, this is a good idea. It's not like you NEED to upgrade every year. It's the same console, but every year the thing will get more powerful, giving game devs more room to move.
Assuming the pre-order price is anything to go by, the thing takes about a full days work + a little bit to buy...that's really not a big deal at all.
It'd likely just make some games have requirements like "Ouya4+" or shit like that. Plus I assume it'd discount previous versions to get even more of them in the hands of the people.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
An xbox 360 was $299 on launch day, and PS3 was $499. Both consoles expected to last 7-9 years. $700-900 for the same type of thing for Ouya in a span of 7-9 years? I'll go with the REAL console thank you!

that's the point. You don't need to buy one every time it comes out. It's not like a ds and 3ds; it's an android system that will play any app as long as it's android. Also if I am not mistaken ouya is $100.

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys this is just like an iPhone or any device really there going to need to do a new one each year to use new hardware and to push new games this could change how gaming is done cheap and as a home console idk why people are hating OUYA especially if it gets emulator support i mean it uses a Tegra 3 and 1GB of Ram good games can come out of that better i think spec wise compared to xbox, ps3, and wii. the only thing limiting is storage

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can see myself always waiting for the next iteration to "finally" get the ouya... and then wait for the next one because of course I won't want the current one.
Happens to me all the time, hence I still don't have an Android handset despite planning to get one since the old style Windows Mobile got canned in favour of the new Windows Phone.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see myself always waiting for the next iteration to "finally" get the ouya... and then wait for the next one because of course I won't want the current one.

This. Announcing that a new model/upgrade will be available every year is akin to informing your loyal customers that any product that they buy comes with an active countdown timer to a possible extinction date. Yes, I understand that the software will be compatible with future hardware releases. But unless the price of the current hardware gradually decreases from month to month, this announcement is a sales department's worst nightmare.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a lot of you all are looking at this all retarded.

Plus, it can be like the current smartphone debacle, wait for next gen and buy previous gen for way under it's value. You can do the same with selling to, won't cost you that much in long run I'd imagine.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smartphones are subsidized to new customers and contract renewals by their respective carriers. If customers were forced to pay MSRP each and every time they bought a new phone, it wouldn't be a "smartphone debacle;" it'd be a smartphone outrage. But perhaps, you're onto something.... If Ouya were to team up with big 3G/4G carriers, incorporate said architecture into their hardware, and offer their hardware at a significantly reduced rate to customers due to corporate subsidizing, then, yes; it wouldn't cost you that much in the long run.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised nobody has posted a link to this:

Osborne effect

I wasn't aware that effect had a name. Thanks. I agree with you.

I think that Julie (OUYA CEO) is doing a great job trying to raise awareness, but she made a mistake when she announced the yearly refresh. She should have given more information such as how the upgrades would happen (i.e. buying a controller-less system for a special discounted cost) and how long they expect the first set of systems to remain viable. Or, she should have been more vague and said that there would be OUYA upgrades and left it at that.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken will love his Microsoft Deck lol