Original XBOX Safe to Use?

Rude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was following a tutorial on how to remove the clock capacitor from an Original XBOX and I got everything removed and I looked at the board and it looks like the capacitor was leaking fluid and I went to wipe it away and it looks like some of the chips have been removed I am not sure if they have always been that way or if it wiped away when I cleaned it but along with the missing chips and if I remove the clock capacitor is the XBOX safe to use now? I took a photo and I circled where the missing chips are it looks like 3 of them are missing. Is it safe to use now or do I have to buy a new XBOX?

Edit: I didn't realize I could not upload a photo so here is a link to what it looks like https://ibb.co/YNr2VQy

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Going by the name on the motherboard, they’re transistors.

One may have been for the clock cap anyway judging by the traces but I’m not sure of the other. Only way to tell would be to either get a multimeter out and trace it or find a schematic.

Don’t know how much their absence will effect the system if it still works e.g. stability, wear, etc.

Rude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used the XBOX in a while I only got it out recently and I have been applying softmods. I knew about the capacitor issue so when I bricked the dashboard I decided to look at the hard drive and I figured I might as well pull the capacitor out while I had it open. I looked at tutorials and watched the videos and when I went to clean it I wiped away some of the dust with my hand and it looked like one of the resistors came apart off the board. It was a tiny piece I couldn't see it. I lost it inside the XBOX. I want to say that one may have been caused by me but I think it may have already been corroded because I think the other two were already gone.

Rude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like it still works although now I have got a flashing red and green light and error 21 on the screen. Looking at tutorials on reddit it could either mean failed hardware or a bricked dashboard. I am hoping it is only a bricked dashboard because I had XBMC installed but I was testing out other dashboards by just booting them. I think the last one I tried was Avalaunch I just copied the files to the C drive and booted it with XBMC I didn't see how that would hurt it but when I reboot I have error 21 and I cannot even boot a game disc. I am going to try ordering a IDE to USB adaptor and hope I can fix the hard drive.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If your xbox is just softmodded, it's done for.
You'll need to install a chip to get it back to work again with Slayers CD.

HDD is locked and unless you know the unlock key, you can't really mend it.
Hotswapping might work but can potentially kill your HDD.

Rude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-SATA-t...epid=0&hash=item5955d4b3cd:g:cVAAAOSwe~ZfRaIW
I watched a YouTube vid that said start the XBOX with the DVD drive disconnected then the HDD would be in an unlocked state.
I figure I could then hotswap the HDD using the IDE to USB cable and use Xplorer360 to copy XBMC back to the C drive partition. I am sure I just deleted a config file or some font files when I was experimenting with the different dashboards.
The thing I am concerned with hotswapping though is is it safe to have the HDD powered via the XBOX and then use the IDE to USB cable to connect to the USB to my laptop.
I am not sure. I do not know much about electricity. I have a laptop I can spare to try it on.

Rude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey it looks like my computer has a molex power cable so I will not have to hot swap but is it safe to connect the HDD to the computer power supply and at the same time connect the ide to usb to it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol