teapea

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK - the search is a nightmare to find what I'm looking for, and wading through 100s of posts of mis-information is doing my head in.

So. I have a PAL Wii, I ONLY play PAL games. I don't care about homebrew, I will only play backups from the DVD drive.

Can I update, are there any issues with upgrading the firmware if I'm only ever going to be using a drive chip to play back-ups?

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I believe the signer exploit was already blocked in version 3.3, and the only way to run backups is through Gecko OS. I don't recommend updating to anyone who has a chipped wii. And if you do, make sure you have the homebrew channel before updating. That'll let you downgrade it incase you need to. You CANNOT download the homebrew channel if you have version 3.4, so getting backups running could be a pretty big problem.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bladexdsl said:
he said he's not using homebrew only a chip. so he can update all he wants
Well, if he currently is on 3.2E, then he could probably play thousands of trucha-signed custom guitar hero discs which would stop working after the update to 3.4E. So it's not only about homebrew after all.

wiiner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Teapea,

You seem to be in exactly the same situation as me, I was beginning to think I was the only one with a chipped Wii that didn't use homebrew
smile.gif

From what I understand my Wii will continue to play my backups fine after updating to 3.4 - the only thing stopping me from updating is this 'auto-updating' that 3.4 signs you up for. I am worried that if I update to 3.4 then Nintendo could create a new menu version at a later date that 'kills' my wiikey and my Wii would update it before I knew anything about it.

Does anyone know if this is possible or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks,

ComplicatioN

Broken Barriers
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Randy_Chuggs said:
Randy_Chuggs said:
Randy_Chuggs said:
Hey all,

I really have absolutely no knowledge about all this, so I'm going to tell you some stuff about my Wii and I really need help.

I have a PAL Wii with WiiKey V1, 1.9s. I'm currently on the 3.2 firmware and have back ups from other regions. (I couldn't download and burn my own, since my internet would cap, and I don't even have a DvD burner in this computer) And I don't use any kind of homebrew.

I'm basically getting Guitar Hero: World Tour for Christmas and I really want to be able to play online/get the extra content ;D

Thanks in advance, you guys are my only source
frown.gif

Bump for help with my question please! I really need help soon.

Bump for help please!

You know, the sooner I get help the sooner this thread will go away
tongue.gif
is there an answer to that question?
because it doesn't sound right

thepspgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Randy_Chuggs said:
ComplicatioN said:
Randy_Chuggs said:
Randy_Chuggs said:
Randy_Chuggs said:
Hey all,

I really have absolutely no knowledge about all this, so I'm going to tell you some stuff about my Wii and I really need help.

I have a PAL Wii with WiiKey V1, 1.9s. I'm currently on the 3.2 firmware and have back ups from other regions. (I couldn't download and burn my own, since my internet would cap, and I don't even have a DvD burner in this computer) And I don't use any kind of homebrew.

I'm basically getting Guitar Hero: World Tour for Christmas and I really want to be able to play online/get the extra content ;D

Thanks in advance, you guys are my only source
frown.gif

Bump for help with my question please! I really need help soon.

Bump for help please!

You know, the sooner I get help the sooner this thread will go away
tongue.gif
is there an answer to that question?
because it doesn't sound right

How does it sound wrong? I'll try re-word it.

-WiiKey V1 1.9s
-Wii 3.2 US
-Back ups from other regions
-No homebrew used

What would happen if I updated to 3.4 US?

there isnt much point updating at all. if you have a modchip, you wont have a problem with backups, thats if you use all the precautions like brickblocker on your backups before you burn them, you wont have a problem with updates, and i have never heard about thus updating having you automatically updating the wii. i also doubt it would be possible to kill the chip, as as said before, it is hardware, and it would be hard for nintendo to disable it

just my thoughts though, and the modchip also wont affect guitar hero, even if it was a backup, most online services work fine anyways (mario kart for example, works fine online, well my backup does anyway
wink.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1