Hacking Original R4 suddenly stopped working? Possible alternatives?

GreekDudeYiannis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there! So, like the title says, my R4 stopped working. I've had it since I was 14 or so (I'm 24 now), and it was working fine up until yesterday. I left it on the bed after playing it, then went to put it in my bag, and when I turned it on later yesterday evening, I got stuck on the loading screen. Now, what's kinda weird about this is, is that I think the issue might be the R4 itself. I reformatted the Micro SD card, I updated the firmware, and the DS is stuck on the loading screen even when the micro SD card isn't in the R4. I tried swabbing the contacts with a q-tip to maybe fix the issue, but I'm still stuck.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I could do?

If my R4 card is officially done-zo, then what are my alternatives? Are there any DS emulators I could use on my hacked 3DS?

GreekDudeYiannis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad, I shoulda specified. This is an R4DS card (like I bought it in 2008) with the most recent Wood R4 Kernel. I use it with my DSLite that I've had since high school (I've already graduated college). This is some ooooooooooooolllldddd stuff. It won't work on a DSi or a 3DS.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My bad, I shoulda specified. This is an R4DS card (like I bought it in 2008) with the most recent Wood R4 Kernel. I use it with my DSLite that I've had since high school (I've already graduated college). This is some ooooooooooooolllldddd stuff. It won't work on a DSi or a 3DS.
There is an nds app that runs DS roms quite fine. Haven't used it in a while and hasn't 100 percent compability but it gets updated a lot and last time i used it a lot was updated and a lot more games ran.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, would that ++ thing work on my 3DS? I assume my R4 is probably toast now, isn't it?
I wouldnt' say it's dead for sure. Your issue doesn't seem to be related to the dreaded contacts issue tho so I don't know what it could be.
Still, I'd say trying to fix your cart is a bit more trouble than it's worth now that Twilight Menu ++ has good overall compatibility. I also have an original R4 that's still working but the contacts are becoming worn out plus the MicroSD is old and if it dies it'll be a pain nowdays to find a fairly priced, brand new 2 GB non-SDHC microSD so I just decided to migrate to Twilight Menu ++. I'm really glad I did, it's much more convenient!

If you want to install it then head over to its thread and follow the instructions there. If you don't like it or you have some incompatible games and don't want to wait for future updates then I'd suggest you just buy another card, even a cheapo R4 clone. So at least you won't have to pay a lot (GB per dollar speaking) for an insanely small microSD ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1