Orcs & Elves - Was $30, now $20, VERY GOOD

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by TanookiSuit, Dec 7, 2007.

Dec 7, 2007
  1. TanookiSuit
    OP

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Not sure who all is aware of the game on DS called Orcs and Elves. Long story short, Carmack game from iD Software that originated on the phone and sells for $7+transmission fees. This game here is a carry over, but in turn added new areas, some new junk to get, little harder, full 3D map(but still 2d sprite enemies), strong sfx and music. The game is a 'Rogue' or classic AD&D(think NES or even on paper) type turned based RPG. The story seems pretty solid as it keeps you involved with new pieces as you move along. Quite a few good items to buy and earn, things to find, secrets(areas like DOOM had) and more. Shop is quite neat as you can barter with the talking dragon. Each monster has it's own weakness, and the game is evenly designed so stylus or d-pad works equally nice so it's total preference. The game is a challenge for sure, and even has a hard and nightmare mode too. Also funny enough, game inspires public drunkeness to talk with dwarves or go on a groggy stat boosted rampage.

It started at $30 and I avoided it due to that, but seems in the last week(?) it went down to a fair $20 tag. If you're into those types of RPG turn based setups like the AD&D, Rogue, Ultima Underworld(PC-DOS) and so on I can't recommend it highly enough. Just figured I'd drop a note and see if anyone else had it or was interested and now may get it due to the good price. If you check gamestats.com or the other Bribespot sites it rates roughly around an 8 which is damn good.

2. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    its a good game i liked it

3. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Agree, really good game.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Liked it as well but it was too short. Its gone down in price here to £19.99.

5. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  6. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    I plan to purchase solely to provide my $20 more motivation to port Doom RPG.

7. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Already? It came out on DS only a month or two ago, and I've never even seen a copy for sale. Good thing I'd snapped up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

Then again... Many games locally are far rarer than average. Took over 15 years to find Super Castlevania IV! It came out in 1991, yet I couldn't find a copy for sale until like July 2007. [​IMG]

8. Gene98

Member Gene98 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    'classic'? Khm. It's same 'classic' like all this new kids-friendly rpgs like morrowind, oblivion etc. Klick all enemys to death. Also there are not any classes/skill point etc. /=

9. TanookiSuit
    OP

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
  10. ksponge

Newcomer ksponge Member

This game was decent but WAY too short. Only a few hours worth of gameplay that dribble through your fingers quickly.

11. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    Probably because the 2nd game came out for Mobile Phones. I hope they'll also port it to DS. It was a good game overall, short but fun while it lasted.

12. 704jaffer

Member 704jaffer GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I didnt think to pay any attention to this game, since i falsely considered it bargain bin fair. Then i watched a video review of the game, man i loved this type of game back on the pc! I'm going to have to pick this one up (especially since its so well priced!)

13. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    this game is old school which makes it good