Discussion Open Source emunand very soon!

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by iriez, May 6, 2019.

1. shado9573

shado9573 GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2017
    Pakistan
    XCI only useful if you want to play in your home. Who the fuck would want a USB-C flash drive or hard drive attached everywhere we go to our switch. People use NSP's since install-able games in a portable device. Awkward situation to be in when you see the it snaps. XCI's only justify SX OS being able to play dumped cartridge games inside your home and saving space.

charlieb and DollyWhipDoll like this.
  2. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    With NSC BUILDER on my PC, all in one as XCI.

EDIT: You do not need to re download anything, just the new update. There is an option in the script that it is exactly for that, update your games.

Last edited by huma_dawii, May 7, 2019
    Moko and Oleboy555 like this.
  3. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)

May 18, 2018
    United States
    All you genius get together and figure out a way together out a way to add in 'This Is Free CustomFirmware' into Atmosphere and those nails can be hammered in.

Something that can't be circumvented by using N's codes or keys and the public will spread that fact and be done with them.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Lmfao. Not even that, when WAIN was out way before they added there name to it.

Now, they are pushing N S Ps like they're new. Their desperation has no bounds, lmao.

4. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    @m4xw You never fail to amaze. SciresM completely gave up on emuNAND (at least for now) and there you are right around the corner.

I'm glad this happens before MTG Arena gets a Switch release (if ever).

A lot? You named three things of which only two are valid since "Stealth Mode" was in free CFW even before SX OS had it (90DNS, Atmo's telemetry re-implementation).

I'll be honest. I like testing new games as XCIs in SX OS before bother installing their NSPs in Atmo, especially when their as big as Mortal Kombat but I'll gladly give up on that if we finally have a free emuNAND as it includes all Atmo features and is the best place for RetroArch while I finally can revive my clean backup to play that stupid Tetris Battle Royal game lol.

THX4210 and RyuSeisuke1992 like this.
  5. RyuSeisuke1992

RyuSeisuke1992 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2018
    Germany
    Well, I wouldn't call that "giving up" right now! @SciresM has encountered a technical hurdle (something with limited memory of 60k for Sysmodule or something) that brought the development of the Thermosphere to a standstill.

Last edited by RyuSeisuke1992, May 7, 2019
  6. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Thermosphere is just tedious as fuck to implement, also perf would likely be worse.

DSwizzy and RyuSeisuke1992 like this.
  7. Oleboy555

Oleboy555 Wie dit leest is een zemmel

Feb 8, 2017
    Netherlands
    Amsterdam
    How come TX got it so quick?

8. monokin1114

monokin1114 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 21, 2019
    Canada
    They are just using redirection and not EL2 like what Atmos is trying to do

Specced9 likes this.
  9. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    gateway didn’t use the EL2 emunand method

10. RyuSeisuke1992

RyuSeisuke1992 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2018
    Germany
    And it is only one person who works at CFW "actively and in his spare time". And he has created great things like m4xw.
    That makes a huge difference, and many seem to forget that they don't earn anything for their work.
    And how I hate that when some pulls TX into such threads, which are about free projects.

TX is currently a million dollar company that has done little on its own, not to mention disregarding the open source world.

Kubez, Specced9 and mitcha like this.
  11. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    That's a cool boot screen with the energy star, especially when you use a vga to hdmi adapter on a old school monitor.

Does the absence of the sept screen mean this is a pre 7.0 fw? I can't remember if that can't before or after 4/1 not that that would necessarily mean anything

12. renatosk

renatosk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2016
    Brazil
    he commented this on reddit upload_2019-5-7_13-2-59.

lordelan, Draxzelex and TheZander like this.
  13. Sticker

Sticker Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Vietnam
    If you like install do it your self, I don't want

14. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    This is a totally false statement & shows your total lack of knowledge. Let me inform you some things you do with xci so you don't spread more bullshit lies.

You don't need to use a flash drive - hard disk, xci can be copied to a micro sd card & is mounted much like an iso file - this saves installing to the nand/emunand and is much safer to use than nsp. Bonus features for xci - a game can be mounted in CFW, then you can boot into OFW and get the update from ninty servers - you can't do that with NSP or you face a ban. Trimmed XCI files are roughly the same size as NSP - but you don't need the hassle of installing them - which means you can have many TB of games to play instantly and are not limited by nand size/micro sd card size - in the same way you are when you need to install a NSP games.

Moko, gizmomelb and xs4all like this.
  15. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2014
    Of course you can load the XCI from SD card but the most advantage of the XCI over NSP is the usb load.
    You waste basically the same time transfering the XCI to the mSD as installing it directly in nsp over USB. If the nsp don't need tickets (XCI converted to nsp for example) you can update it with the same method you described only need to extract the SD card when you go to OFW (I used this method a lot of time and still not banned)

16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Ah so the Emunand payload will basically do a "rcm reboot" to the correct partition if I understood the Discord Reddit message correct?

Last edited by linuxares, May 8, 2019
  17. mrdude

mrdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    You're missing the point here - I quoted and replied to the fake bullshit the guy at the top of this page posted.

18. m4xw

m4xw Ancient Deity

May 25, 2018
    Germany
    Well you can reboot to payload and then just boot emunand/sysnand, as you like.
    It will also support multiple partitions and a file-based setup.

Also unrelated note: It's decided, emuMMC will be used for Atmosphere.

19. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Nice! Don't forget to ping @RattletraPM once it's ready :)

RattletraPM likes this.
  20. shado9573

shado9573 GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2017
    Pakistan
    We can only mount them to only 1 CFW which is SX OS. So why bother paying 30-40 dollars for this. NSP's become useful because when open source CFW doesnt support it NSP's are mostly used right. I mean the amount of time installing an NSP doesnt really take long. The fact is open source EmuNAND will most likely not have XCI loading as it uses Keys copyrighted by Ninty.