open pandora

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by fice3717, Dec 11, 2009.

1. fice3717
    OP

fice3717 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2009
    United States
    the Pandora looks like a nice bit of hand held technology but at 330 dollars that a lot of money to buy one and find out they couldn't get any of the emulators to work :S so thats my opinion now whats yours? oh btw if you dont know what it is http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?opti...d=1&lang=en

2. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    That's why a smart person would wait until it has been released then read some reviews, read some Pandora-related forums, watch some Youtube videos etc before parting with their cash.

3. godsakes

godsakes GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2007
    the pandora looks bloody awful - the designers don't know whether they're going for a mini netbook or a hand held games console

4. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I really do want one, but I'm going to wait to see how well the emulators run. Plus this thing has been delayed for way too long, there's even a term for it: "development hell."
    It had better be worth the wait.

5. Supersonicmonk

Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Cymru
    they said that it is "The most powerful gaming handheld there is" is this thing really better than the PSP and iPod touch? it looks a bit like a prototype smartphone and who needs 2 SD slots?

6. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    In raw power, it is more powerful than both of those

7. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    One is a card reader, and the cards inserted in that one are treated as "removable disk". The BIOS treats the other one as the extension to the built-in memory, and cards inserted into that one blend seamlessly with the built-in memory to make the OS think it has a larger HDD to work with. Some netbooks have this feature as well. There's a need and a use for it.

Think of the Pandora as an EEE that fits in your pocket. The built-in gamepad is an added bonus. [​IMG]

8. soulfire

soulfire gear... secando

Sep 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    rotterdam
    i am curious which emulators it can run

if it can run gamecube perfectly i may buy one

9. ZeWarrior

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    I doubt it can emulate a Gamecube. a PS1 maybe.

10. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Haha NEVER going to happen my friend.

At the very minimum we are looking at perfect SNES emulation. At best perfect N64 and PSone emulation. (Also the odd fairly recent PC game ported perfectly)

11. nutella

nutella Low Glycemic Index

Sep 4, 2008
    Your nearest supermarket
    N64 emulation is coming along pretty nicely actually. With very little optimisation, some games play nearly at full speed already. Of course, gamecube games will never work (ast least in any playable form), but fullspeed Dreamcast seems like a possibility at the moment. (Already being worked on and some games are already full speed)

12. DaMummy

DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 22, 2007
    United States
    Cleveland
    any ps1 is already at full speed, just about all games, the only games on n64 that seems problematic are the RARE games, so if anyone knows how to HLE their virtual memory, please get into the openpandora program and you will be praised and paid

Posts merged

actually any coders are very welcome to join the community to develop software

13. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    I heard DOOM 3 was ported and playable. Or did i get a title mixed up?

14. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Quake 3, but they believe the Pandora should be able to play Doom 3 if the source was to be released for the game engine.

15. Painguy

Painguy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2009
    United States
    California
    Pandora is rly good. The devs wanted to make it do everything thats why it has a computer like interface. it has its own version of liniux, and has many different emulators on it aswell as indie games. an N64 emulator is in the works, the ps1 emu is almost done, and there are much more. Doom 3 is possible, but the source needs to be released. as soon as id releases Rage then it will be released to the public. think of it as a Super Ultra Mega Gega netbook which is almost the size of the DS phat. Gamecube will never happen haha. Modern PC's can barely run the darn thing.

16. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States
    it looks awesome, and has for the past year or so
    cough

17. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    Maybe with a slightly lower price tag, this thing would be great [​IMG]

18. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    A bunch of new videos have been released, it looks like its finally almost ready.

19. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States
    in the third video looks like he's using his microwave tray to hold the pandoras.

20. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States

Wise words.

I'm hopeful about this project, but I'd rather hear from an owner than a development team, any day.