Android Onlive Mobile App

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didnt see any topic posted about it. But I wanted to say that it was an amazing little app. Downloaded it for the hell of it on my Xperia Play, and it works extremely well (I tried it at home, there was no delay lag, and the games looked pretty good).

At the moment only the D-Pad on the Xperia Play seems to work properly on all games (I hear the analog pad works on some too), but apparently people are already trying to figure out how to make it completely compatable. (OnLive also sells a Wireless controller for 50$ that works with USB/BlueTooth)

Also, if you download it for an unspecified amount of time, you get a free Lego Batman game. (Takes a few hours i think, still waiting on mine after downloading 3 hours ago)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it on my Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. Don't think Gingerbread ever officially released, but who needs it with Cyanogenmod 7.1 lol!

Works really well provided you have good internet. And an actual good use of the tech. I wouldn't use OnLive to replace my PC games as i have a plenty strong laptop to handle them with better visuals than OnLive can give. But for weaker devices like phones and tablets, it's a great thing and i fully see the potential! Basically transcends the porting issues that lower-power hardware face, so they can get real current gen experiences. For that, it's quite cool. Not surprising or really shocking how it works (it's just a live stream video feed being sent to your phone that you are in control of), just a really novel way to make these sorts of games available to weaker hardware.

Got Lego Batman, been playing it, works great within the confines of the touch screen controls.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it on my Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. Don't think Gingerbread ever officially released, but who needs it with Cyanogenmod 7.1 lol!

Works really well provided you have good internet. And an actual good use of the tech. I wouldn't use OnLive to replace my PC games as i have a plenty strong laptop to handle them with better visuals than OnLive can give. But for weaker devices like phones and tablets, it's a great thing and i fully see the potential! Basically transcends the porting issues that lower-power hardware face, so they can get real current gen experiences. For that, it's quite cool. Not surprising or really shocking how it works (it's just a live stream video feed being sent to your phone that you are in control of), just a really novel way to make these sorts of games available to weaker hardware.

Got Lego Batman, been playing it, works great within the confines of the touch screen controls.
How much RAM does the Samsung fascinate have? I was about to buy it but got the HTC droid Incredible instead last year. I also heard it isn't going to have CM9 as Cyanongen has dropped support for it because of some 911 issue it had.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the Fascinate has 512MB of ram. Not entirely sure. I didn't receive Lego Batman instantly. It took several hours. Though only a few, not an entire day. When it arrives, you'll see it in the My Games section of OnLive. The copy will also work on any device that has OnLive, including PC. It's tied to your account. If it's still not there, try contacting them. It only took a couple of hours to receive mine.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Watch out for their controller. You can bet that it will not work with phones that use HTC Sense as they have a crippled bluetooth stack.

Taellon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It says my Transformer isn't compatible but in the list of compatible devices it says it supports the Asus Transformer. I don't understand this. Why can I not get it when it should be compatible with my device?

mucus

Orc Orc Orc
Trophies
XP
Country
i must agree onlive is really cool.
but i must also note the ever so slight delay in controls, a slightly lower fps than playing at a console, and slightly reduced graphics quality.
all of these are very minimal though, but noticable to me.
i htink it has to do with the fact that the game is played from the server...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Mucus-

Yeah all those cons are because the game is being played remotely via a live video stream. Control lag happens no matter how good your internet connection is apparently. Visuals are inevitably going to have compression artifacts from a lossy video feed (as well as scaling down the visuals to a smaller resolution screen i'd assume). And the slower framerate is likely due to most normal videos being capped at 25-30 frames per second. I'm thinking OnLive's videos are also capped at that, so a full 60fps isn't possible at this point, unless they upgrade to a 60fps video stream (which i'm sure would take up more bandwidth). So there's nothing you can really do about any of that at the moment, the cons of OnLive as a whole, even on a PC (which is why this will likely never replace a gaming computer).

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-