Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
177.jpg

After extending the signup deadline for the "Founder's Club" promotion that gave users a full year free, OnLive has opted to ditch membership fees entirely.

OnLive founder Steve Perlman wrote in the service's official blog, "Although we wish we could have confirmed no monthly fee from the get-go, pioneering a major new video game paradigm is hard: we had to first grow to a large base of regular users before we could understand usage patterns and operating costs."

OnLive has apparently reached that point though, which Perlman says deserves a "double WOOT! WOOT!"

A "Full PlayPass" to a game still costs about as much as a regular game, but now OnLive's service plan is roughly equivalent to Steam. However, OnLive also offers 3 and 5-day passes to games in addition to free demos.

In addition to cutting membership fees, OnLive is also offering a free trial program that will allow users to access the service without having to enter a credit card number. Credit cards will be needed if you opt to buy a 3-day, 5-day or Full PlayPass though.

Going forward, OnLive is also promising better video quality and lower latentcy. The MicroConsole TV Adapters and gamepads are also in manufacturing now though, which suggests that they may make the holidays as well.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Being a wannabe computer gamer but with a meh computer that can't do much gaming outside of some Source engine games, OnLive always seemed somewhat appealing. Maybe this is a good reason to try, although I need to wire my computer first.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Also, broken source.

Thanks, thought I put it in there but I guess not.

The difference is that OnLive allows you to play games with high system requirements without the need for a high spec system. Only problem is lag and that you need a constant internet connection to play games. That's what I thought at least.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Slyakin said:
Also, broken source.

The difference is that OnLive allows you to play games with high system requirements without the need for a high spec system. Only problem is lag and that you need a constant internet connection to play games. That's what I thought at least.
WAIT.

You STREAM the games? Wow, never mind.

I think I might get this. Crysis, ahoy!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Slyakin said:
Also, broken source.

WAIT.

You STREAM the games? Wow, never mind.

I think I might get this. Crysis, ahoy!

Mind you this is far from perfect. There will probably always be delay between your actions at home and what gets shown to you. And a wired internet connection is pretty much a must, even if/when wireless is supported.

D

Deleted_171835

Bandwidth.
I only get 60GB.
As much as I would like to use this, I can't thanks to shitty Canadian ISP's.
frown.gif

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it, and I'm amazed. My PC is shit, but I can play games like Batman: AA and Borderlands. I have no idea how my PC can run those games. My PC has a Intel Celeron 1.6GHZ processor, 1GB RAM and 64MB VRAM. Can someone explain to me how this is possible?

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your computer isn't running the game. It is running from another location in which you get to control and play certain games.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fudgenuts64 said:
I just tried it, and I'm amazed. My PC is shit, but I can play games like Batman: AA and Borderlands. I have no idea how my PC can run those games. My PC has a Intel Celeron 1.6GHZ processor, 1GB RAM and 64MB VRAM. Can someone explain to me how this is possible?

QUOTE(Rasas @ Oct 4 2010, 08:48 PM) Your computer isn't running the game. It is running from another location in which you get to control and play certain games.

basically that, all of your inputs are sent over the internet to servers, which spit back video/audio to your computer

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
still a waste of $ only a very small number of peeps (prob all china) will be using this cos not every1 has unlimited bw! i can tell you now no one in australia will be using this so they might as well not even bring it here. also i dont care what they say there is going to be lagg..

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried it. its awesome if you have a shitty PC and a good net connection. graphical glitches here and there but playable. didnt notice any lag.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a slightly different note, is there any programs which kinda do this already? I was wanting to play some emulator games with my brother (we usually play RPGs with half the characters one and the other half the other's). All I'd have to do is stream his display over to mine and be able to have keyboard input on his computer from mine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents