Hacking On the ability to play backups without drive chip

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okey, so I don't know to much about coding, but for me it seems kinda logical a softmod is near.

There is already a freeloader program to play backup wiigames, so the hackers are able to boot a disk.

And since you can already boot a GCISO with an GCSD adaptor. It seems like we're close.

Let's hope the hackers keep on working, on making Wii Homebrew a modless but hardcore scene.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrotux said:
I've looked into the video enable command some more.

It seems the PPC is not allowed to call this (the callerUID wont match with what IOS wants).

There is only one module which is allowed to call this, and that's the ES (the security-) module.

The ES opens up the device "/dev/di", and send an ioctl request with command 0x8E.
The DI module hears this, and simply calls a syscall, which does this:

Code:
syscall(int a)
{
if (a == 0)
ÂÂ D800180 &= ~0x200000;
else
ÂÂ D800180 |= 0x200000;
}

This register is also involved in setting DI into legacy mode (using bitmask 0x40).

So what's so special about clearing or setting bitmask 0x200000? Maybe it disables the Starlet filter?
I'm pretty sure this register will be fun to play with.

And to confirm once more, this was said on #wiidev recently by bushing:
QUOTE said:
daltonlaf: the wii has hardware protection that prevents you from reading anything that's not a Wii disc. We found a way around that

SOFTMOD HERE WE COME!

Well, naturally, Starlet isn't available in MIOS, so this makes sense.

You should modify it to always apply the bitmask and patch it into IOS30. Since it only affects the DI driver, you shouldn't have a problem reversing it if necessary.

plasticpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be the new dark_alex!
yaypsp.gif

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep up the good work nitrotux

There are actually people here that use iso loaders as backups of games they own

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasticpie said:
You might be the new dark_alex!
yaypsp.gif

the dark_alex for the wii has always been bushing (or even waninkoko, hes released really useful things we all use)

nitrotux is getting their though

plasticpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ linkinworm: No I don't think that will happen.

@jan777: I wasn't comparing the Wii to the PSP, I was remarking on the work that homebrew creators have done for the two systems. i.e. dax created custom firmware w/ iso loader, nitrotux might be close to the same thing.

Kaer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
linkinworm said:
one thing, if this does get released, doesnt nintendo have some sort of power to sew nitrotux or something, as much as an iso loader would rule, im just thinking about the author

Nintendo would have to find nitrotux first.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
one thing, if this does get released, doesnt nintendo have some sort of power to sew nitrotux or something, as much as an iso loader would rule, im just thinking about the author

Yes, they'll "sew" him, "sew" him like some piece of fabric.

As a side note, has anyone noticed linkinworm and truballr have the same speech pattern/grammar/punctuation? I'm betting they're one in the same.

@nitrotux: PM me if you're interested in bouncing ideas back and forth. Maybe we can come up with something that isn't a forum full of spam.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
linkinworm said:

As a side note, has anyone noticed linkinworm and truballr have the same speech pattern/grammar/punctuation? I'm betting they're one in the same.

@nitrotux: PM me if you're interested in bouncing ideas back and forth. Maybe we can come up with something that isn't a forum full of spam.
o s*** yea its suing, has anyone noticed that teq is an ass? actualy dont reply to that teq or this thread might get full of junk and we know your good at that.

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
linkinworm said:

Listen teq, i respect you. I don't know linkinworm at all, and I've never spoken to him. I've seen him in a lot of forums sites and he usually contributes news and good information.

The only problem is, every since I've joined gbatemp you have been flaming everyone, and you act like you rule this place and put people low, because you think you know more than they do, you probably do but you dont have act like it all the time, before you talk smack about coding and stuff, release something.

And wtf does truballr have to do with linkinworm, I've joined the scene for good homebrew because of my cousin or ill be playing my unhacked Wii like all my other systems (except PSP) (it was a legend to hacking, even more than the Dreamcast)

Krono89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What have you done to help the Wii homebrew community? Heckle the devs? At least teq is actually offering something to this conversation and topic, all you're doing is spamming it up with double posts and horrible grammar.

To teq and nitrotux: I'm fairly new to the Wii homewbrew scene, but I've got quite a bit of programming knowledge and would love to offer my help to you.

edit: This was directed at linkin, not truballr.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Krono89 said:
What have you done to help the Wii homebrew community? Heckle the devs? At least teq is actually offering something to this conversation and topic, all you're doing is spamming it up with double posts and horrible grammar.

To teq and nitrotux: I'm fairly new to the Wii homewbrew scene, but I've got quite a bit of programming knowledge and would love to offer my help to you.

edit: This was directed at linkin, not truballr.
well i dont flame everyone insite,i try to help everyone with there problems if possible and i did actualy make a modded version of RIN over on QJ, i dunno if it got on here, dont really care tbh, lets not F*** this thread up, and pick up on where the last reasonable post left off, but if you must know heres what else i did

guide now i took time to find them pictures edit them and write that guide, and i can tell you it wasnt an easy job took a while to write make sure it was good.
o and the grammer its like 3am i couldnt care less about it tbh

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:

I would think that if you plan to be posting on a forum at 3AM(I've seen you use this excuse more than once), you would be alert enough to watch how you formulate your posts.

I mean.... I make posts anywhere from early in the morning to late in the evening, but I try to stay consistent and present my posts in a way in which everyone can read them.

You also have to consider that we have a lot of people on here whose primary language isn't English. How difficult do you think it is to translate your post, compared to mine? Test that theory in Google Translator if you don't believe me.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
linkinworm said:

I would think that if you plan to be posting on a forum at 3AM(I've seen you use this excuse more than once), you would be alert enough to watch how you formulate your posts.

I mean.... I make posts anywhere from early in the morning to late in the evening, but I try to stay consistent and present my posts in a way in which everyone can read them.

You also have to consider that we have a lot of people on here whose primary language isn't English. How difficult do you think it is to translate your post, compared to mine? Test that theory in Google Translator if you don't believe me.
well im tired, im going bed soon anyway, go read what i posted in the other thread, and see if a mod will clean this up for everyone

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C'mon guys. Can you not have your argument in this topic and go flame at each other in the other one? This flaming at each other is completely pointless and its getting rather annoying so I'm asking nicely, can you please stop?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ