Hacking On flashing a DS Lite

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's nothing wrong with the picture but it should be mentioned with it to make sure people understand this fact and do not brick their systems. And once again I will say it. Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.
Well I've only posted the link to that picture in this thread and the thread is about flashing a DS Lite properly.
I've added a bit to my post advising to insulate (love the slogan by the way) your "tool".

But if anyone wants to open a picture linked in a thread and use that as some sort of guide, without reading the thread... Well I won't feel responsible if they brick thier DS.
The correct info is all there, I'm not putting warnings and disclaimers on every picture I take.

Bottom line: If you are going to flash your DS yourself, Take responibility. It's not hard just read the advice and if you don't feel confident, DON'T DO IT.

There I just put out another big disclaimer
wink2.gif

Reserver X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zero is just saying be very carefull, make sure you use the right insolation. and if it breaks, pull out right away
wink.gif
. (hehehe)

question: even with the insolation couldnt there still be some risk of hitting something by accident and shorting it?

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zero is just saying be very carefull, make sure you use the right insolation. and if it breaks, pull out right awayÂ
wink.gif
. (hehehe)

question: even with the insolation couldnt there still be some risk of hitting something by accident and shorting it?
ohmy.gif
It's just sooo easy to be dirty, isn't it?
wink.gif

I suppose there is still a risk. The risk is inversely proportionate to the skill of the flasher, maybe?
I support everyone who wishes to flash there DS and hope I have helped / can help you in some way.

There was a time when I hadn't flashed a DS but I checked it out. Assessed my ability, Checked my equipment, wet my pants and did it!
I've now done 8 regular DS's and 2 Lites. Never had a problem.

But that's me. I've read some reports of people who may have bricked their DS but nothing I can confirm. I'm sure it's possible to stuff it up.
There is only so many times you can tell someone to minimise risk, but for all we know by using flashme might end up all us flashers (hehe) getting our DS's banned from WiFi.

So yes, still a risk.. always a risk.

More to the point if you wiggle your tool around (yes I know, HAHA) when flashing (that made it worse...) even if insulated then YES you could short out to the right of the SL1 apparantly. Possibly to the left too.

magx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
while this topic has helped IMMENSELY, I would still love to see a video of someone flashing a DS Lite, STEP BY STEP

great topic btw
smile.gif

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Add me to the list of successful Aussie flashers
smile.gif
Thanks to all who gave advice in this thread.

while this topic has helped IMMENSELY, I would still love to see a video of someone flashing a DS Lite, STEP BY STE

There is a video on this page: http://www.dspassme.com/FlashMe.shtml ; it's really not very much different for a DS Lite, the main difference is that you must insulate your shorting tool to avoid contacting anything else.

Here is the tool I used. It's a plastic coated paperclip with some aluminium foil around the end, and electrical tape on top of that. I had intended to use a matchstick (I don't have any toothpicks), but even a matchstick is too big for that small hole. As you can see from the photo, only the very bottom tip has the foil exposed.

When I first put the paperclip in, it went to 1% and stopped there. I had to readjust it 5-10 times before I got it in the right position for flashme to continue.. that's why the electrical tape is essential.

bug

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
By the way: since the flashme site is down and people are posting other links, here is the MD5 of flashme v7 so you can be sure you're not using a bricker or an old version: fa220267edb05f4386025d97e2168f3f

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thank you everyone for your kind words, I'm glad you found this thread helpful
smile.gif
I promise to turn the first post into a more detailed guide - complete with pictures and perhaps even a video, especially now after having purchased a brand new camera
biggrin.gif

I have a third DS Lite coming in next week so I’ll be sure to produce more flashing-footage then.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
There is a video on this page: http://www.dspassme.com/FlashMe.shtml ; it's really not very much different for a DS Lite, the main difference is that you must insulate your shorting tool to avoid contacting anything else.

Cool video.

Those pictures from above help the most (thanks shtonkalot!)

Now, I've got some dumb questions.

The whole point of this is to "connect" (e.g. short) the two half circles together, correct? If, let's say for hypothetical purposes, someone didn't insulate their tools?, where exactly would you make contact with? It just looks like plastic all around.

Thanks!

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If, let's say for hypothetical purposes, someone didn't insulate their tools?, where exactly would you make contact with? It just looks like plastic all around.
Eh? Where on the DS Lite that you would make contact with the tool or what?
huh.gif
The SL1 couldn't be more visible on the pictures taken by shtonkalot, and that's the spot to aim for.

Edit: And these are the pictures I speak of: 1 2

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi ConraDargo,

I don't have my NDS lite yet, so I haven't performed the flashme yet.

I guess I'm a little confused about what exactly "SL1" is. Is it the two half circles within the green box or the line between the two half-circles?

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Cool video.

Those pictures from above help the most (thanks shtonkalot!)

Now, I've got some dumb questions.

The whole point of this is to "connect" (e.g. short) the two half circles together, correct? If, let's say for hypothetical purposes, someone didn't insulate their tools?, where exactly would you make contact with? It just looks like plastic all around.

Thanks!
The gap between the two semi-circles needs to be connected. So you are correct.

Hey Ron, I see your point, it certainly seems like all you could contact with a uninsulated shorting tool is plastic. I'm not entirely convinced there is a big risk of shorting something else in the lite, but better safe then sorry.
Yes the two semi circles is what you want to short.

Some people have reported problems with uninsulated shorting tools contacting a point to the left of the SL1 points. Others have mentioned shorting to the ight of SL1 with the base of the shorting tool. That could be a problem even with a insulated shorting tool. I believe it would be very hard to get wrong, but then again I've had nothing but success. I could be lucky.
Good luck!

Reserver X

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zero is just saying be very carefull, make sure you use the right insolation. and if it breaks, pull out right awayÂ
wink.gif
. (hehehe)

ohmy.gif
It's just sooo easy to be dirty, isn't it?
wink.gif

I suppose there is still a risk. The risk is inversely proportionate to the skill of the flasher, maybe?
I support everyone who wishes to flash there DS and hope I have helped / can help you in some way.

There was a time when I hadn't flashed a DS but I checked it out. Assessed my ability, Checked my equipment, wet my pants and did it!
I've now done 8 regular DS's and 2 Lites. Never had a problem.

But that's me. I've read some reports of people who may have bricked their DS but nothing I can confirm. I'm sure it's possible to stuff it up.
There is only so many times you can tell someone to minimise risk, but for all we know by using flashme might end up all us flashers (hehe) getting our DS's banned from WiFi.

So yes, still a risk.. always a risk.

More to the point if you wiggle your tool around (yes I know, HAHA) when flashing (that made it worse...) even if insulated then YES you could short out to the right of the SL1 apparantly. Possibly to the left too.

just playing the devil's advocate. Just be carefull while doing it and try not to rush (tehe).

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it would be easier to stand in front of a mirror with the screen facing away from you and concentrate on the shorting. I'm beginning to consider flashing my future ds lite but only if it becomes possible to revert back to the original firmware. I guess this would require an updated version of flashme.

kogepan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the guide! it's just what i need!! im ready to get my ds lite next week and after readin this ill be flashing it when i get it. Just one question so the ds lite has to be fully charged or does it has to be plugged in while flashing???

magx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BOTH. To be 10000000% safe, just do both.

It's just an extra safequard in case it unplugs or the battery falls out.

I think I am going to tape the battery in place when i try flashing mine june 11th

kogepan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BOTH. To be 10000000% safe, just do both.

It's just an extra safequard in case it unplugs or the battery falls out.

I think I am going to tape the battery in place when i try flashing mine june 11th
that's a good idea..i can see myself dropping the battery while flippin the ds lite over to flash it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated