vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok so i have a compaq presario desktop and i tried to install windows xp by using the original setup disc, i then preceded to delete all my partitions and start the disc but in the partition stage (on txt setup) it showed four "unknown drives" and every time i presses "enter" to continue id get a blue screen
mad.gif

so since i recently moved my connections around on my mother board to hook up a friends ps3 hard drive for fixing, i checked the connections and they seemed fine but still no look so i moved the connection around and now when i switch on the computer it just hangs on the boot screen (not even reaching bios and is completely unresponsive to commands)
unsure.gif
now every time i switch it on it just hangs at the screen where it gives you the choice to press F10, F11 etc and it doesn't register any button presses
frown.gif
HELP!!

.could i have got the connections wrong with the hard drive
.could i have broke the bios in which case does anyone know how to flash it

plz help its the family computer >_>

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. thx i shall EDIT: oh it doesn't reach the blue screen anymore just hangs on the boot logo
2. with the hard drives disconnected it still hangs
3.Compaq Presario SR2125UK Desktop PC

thx again im pretty sure i broke the bios >_

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) CHILL OUTTTTTTTTT I have complete faith that the Tempers here WILL solve your problem.

2) Is the drive formatted? Obviously you can't install an OS on unallocated space. Grab a GParted LiveCD to partition a drive as NTFS.

3) Grab a fast-shot camera and find that blue screen, write it down or take a picture of that error message. That would help us determine the problem. (If it ever appears again)

4) You could reflash the BIOS if you wanted to but here's the thing. If its unresponsive to commands you either, really did break the BIOS, or something is wrong with your keyboard. I doubt its your keyboard cuz then youd get a POST message saying, "KEYBOARD NOT DETECTED" and itll refuse to boot.

I found the BIOS update for your motherboard, if youd like I can post it but idk what good it'll do since its a BIOS Update and not the original BIOS. And its an executable to in order to perform the update, you'll need the operating system running. This is why I HATE HP/Compaq. Always build your own computer. Try clearing the CMOS.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Put the connection's back....get a Linux or some other boot disk with partitioning progs on it and start again.

Sounds like you created a new partion table without formatting, or now this bios is mistaken after you manually changed it... and Win XP doesn't have a clue what you have.

vergilite

GBATemps Regular Clown
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thx guys you helped a lot and in the end it turns out i reset the bios default settings so i just had to change the setting to ati or something (cant remember) from RAID and it recognized my hard drive
smile.gif
, installing XP now
biggrin.gif
WoW here i come
smileipb2.png

sorry again guys for flipping out *few* but its fixed now and iv learn t a lot in fixing it so im chuffed
smileipb2.png

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Best lesson you can learn from this: do not buy Compaq unless you want them to fuck you up the ass. Low quality components for a premium price.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:
Best lesson you can learn from this: do not buy Compaq unless you want them to fuck you up the ass. Low quality components for a premium price.
100% true. Same thing goes for HP. Their computers are great its just that if you ever need anything hardware related, like drivers or the BIOS dump or anything like that, HP/Compaq will fuck you over. They also install the most bloatware out any computer I've ever used. Happened with my old HP a6600f. My BIOS settings were restricted to barely anything so I couldn't do what I wanted with it. If you have to buy a prebuilt computer, buy from ASUS, Acer, or Lenovo. Other than that, build it yourself. So much better.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Broke the bios? lol. you can try removing the cmos battery and resetting it all.

if its blue-screening during set-up or bootup i wouldn't bother. chances are the motherboard is gone. time for a new one.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
... except that in this case the problem was his XP disc not recognizing drives using an SCSI interface ('cause of the RAID controller setting), not anything to do with Compaq at all.

You could buy a $5000 Sony VAIO tomorrow and try to install an XP SP1 (or no SP slipstreamed) disc on it, and if it's set to use raid or the motherboard's drive controller isn't put into legacy/compatibility mode you'll hit the exact same issue, unless you slipstream the SCSI/SATA controller drivers into the disc via Nlite.

This was actually a common problem back when people were buying new machines with Vista and trying to use their old XP discs on it.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
You could buy a $5000 Sony VAIO tomorrow and try to install an XP SP1 (or no SP slipstreamed) disc on it, and if it's set to use raid or the motherboard's drive controller isn't put into legacy/compatibility mode you'll hit the exact same issue, unless you slipstream the SCSI/SATA controller drivers into the disc via Nlite.

This was actually a common problem back when people were buying new machines with Vista and trying to use their old XP discs on it.

Ugh... I remember this well. If you didn't have have the driver slipstreamed onto the cd, you have to press an f key to load it from a disk. Problem is the disk it asked for was a floppy. On most computers they were being phased out.
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Interesting lol