OFW below 3.55 > REBUG 4.46.01

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mixinluv2u, Aug 9, 2013.

1. mixinluv2u
    OP

mixinluv2u GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2007
    United States
    Hi guys quick question. I have OFW 3.40 and would like to get to REBUG 4.46.01 (or whatever the latest is). Do I need to get to:

OFW 3.40 > OFW 3.55 > REBUG 4.46.01?

or can I go directly:

OFW 3.40 > REBUG 4.46.01?

If both ways work, are there any differences or pros/cons of each?

Sorry if the question is dumb, I looked around and found conflicting advice. Thanks in advance!

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'm not big on the PS3 scene but I think it's OFW 3.55 and then Rebug.

mechadylan likes this.
  3. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Seeing as you will be using Rebug CFW, I would go with what their website suggests:

From XMB install REBUG 4.21.x AND HIGHER over any 3.55 OFW/CFW/MFW or the same or lower firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched or any firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched and QA enabled.

So, yeah: OFW 3.40>OFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01 or OFW 3.40>CFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01

4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    You should probably enable QA in there somewhere, so you might want to do the latter and toggle QA on between cfw 3.55 and rebug 4.46.01.

5. Cyberdrive

Cyberdrive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    I'd personally go this way:

OFW 3.40 -> OFW 3.55 -> Rebug 3.55,
    toggle QA (in Rebug Toolbox, this allows CFW downgrading),
    dump eid0 (with eEID_RKDumper, for CEX2DEX conversion since you're going to use Rebug anyway),
    dump flash (with multiMAN or Rebug Toolbox, for brick recovery)
    -> Rebug 4.46
    dump flash (as above, for CEX2DEX and just to have another backup)

Flash dumps will never match each other even if dumped back-to-back, so having them dumped several times isn't a bad idea. The relatively dangerous operation is writing to the flash , not reading, so the fewer times you write to the flash, the lower the risk of accidental bricking (power loss while flashing, for example) is.

6. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Perhaps I took the OP too literally. Yes, you should also toggle QA as well as install mM and dump your NOR/NAND flash. For a more comprehensive set of instructions, see here: How to install the latest Rebug CFW

It's possible that it would work, but why risk it when the other method yields much more positive outcomes? Frankly, I think it WILL work but I'd never try it myself. OFW 3.40 > Any FW 3.55 (official, modified, or custom) > REBUG 4.46.01 seems like the most reliable method. And again, there are other steps involved aside from simply flashing the FW twice (see above.)

mschumacher69 likes this.
  7. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Install Toggle QA first and run it to enable QA and to reset level 1 hash. After that just install Rebug 4.46.

Don't even bother with DEX that Cyberdrive mentioned.