mixinluv2u

OP
Trophies
Website
www.glowsticking.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys quick question. I have OFW 3.40 and would like to get to REBUG 4.46.01 (or whatever the latest is). Do I need to get to:

OFW 3.40 > OFW 3.55 > REBUG 4.46.01?

or can I go directly:

OFW 3.40 > REBUG 4.46.01?

If both ways work, are there any differences or pros/cons of each?

Sorry if the question is dumb, I looked around and found conflicting advice. Thanks in advance!

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as you will be using Rebug CFW, I would go with what their website suggests:

From XMB install REBUG 4.21.x AND HIGHER over any 3.55 OFW/CFW/MFW or the same or lower firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched or any firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched and QA enabled.

So, yeah: OFW 3.40>OFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01 or OFW 3.40>CFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as you will be using Rebug CFW, I would go with what their website suggests:

From XMB install REBUG 4.21.x AND HIGHER over any 3.55 OFW/CFW/MFW or the same or lower firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched or any firmware version CFW with spkg sig check patched and QA enabled.

So, yeah: OFW 3.40>OFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01 or OFW 3.40>CFW 3.55>REBUG 4.46.01

You should probably enable QA in there somewhere, so you might want to do the latter and toggle QA on between cfw 3.55 and rebug 4.46.01.

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'd personally go this way:

OFW 3.40 -> OFW 3.55 -> Rebug 3.55,
toggle QA (in Rebug Toolbox, this allows CFW downgrading),
dump eid0 (with eEID_RKDumper, for CEX2DEX conversion since you're going to use Rebug anyway),
dump flash (with multiMAN or Rebug Toolbox, for brick recovery)
-> Rebug 4.46
dump flash (as above, for CEX2DEX and just to have another backup)

Flash dumps will never match each other even if dumped back-to-back, so having them dumped several times isn't a bad idea. The relatively dangerous operation is writing to the flash , not reading, so the fewer times you write to the flash, the lower the risk of accidental bricking (power loss while flashing, for example) is.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should probably enable QA in there somewhere, so you might want to do the latter and toggle QA on between cfw 3.55 and rebug 4.46.01.
Perhaps I took the OP too literally. Yes, you should also toggle QA as well as install mM and dump your NOR/NAND flash. For a more comprehensive set of instructions, see here: How to install the latest Rebug CFW

or can I go directly:

OFW 3.40 > REBUG 4.46.01?

If both ways work, are there any differences or pros/cons of each?

Sorry if the question is dumb, I looked around and found conflicting advice. Thanks in advance!

It's possible that it would work, but why risk it when the other method yields much more positive outcomes? Frankly, I think it WILL work but I'd never try it myself. OFW 3.40 > Any FW 3.55 (official, modified, or custom) > REBUG 4.46.01 seems like the most reliable method. And again, there are other steps involved aside from simply flashing the FW twice (see above.)

Reactions: mschumacher69

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Install Toggle QA first and run it to enable QA and to reset level 1 hash. After that just install Rebug 4.46.

Don't even bother with DEX that Cyberdrive mentioned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.