Hacking Official Xbox One Retroarch Thread

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Old op has had a face lift to become an official Retroarch thread ;)

:yayone: Official RetroArch Xbox One Thread :yayone:

Grab the latest build at the bottom of this post ;)

What is RetroArch?

RetroArch is a multi-system frontend which allows you to run many different emulators and other programs ("cores") through a unified interface. There are currently more than 50 different systems supported on the Xbox One. Retroarch is Being ported to the Xbox by @krzys-h and is still considered unofficial and beta
https://github.com/krzys-h/RetroArch
Currently all Homebrew on Xbox One requires a Dev Mode account to run.. If you already have Dev Mode enabled on your Xbox One you can go ahead and install the APPX (plus it's Dependencies file) through the Xbox Device Portal :)
If you haven't a quick how to install/enable Dev Mode can be found here..

Quick Links

RetroArch source

Basics

You'll need:

Setting up XMB

If the menu icons are not loaded when you start RetroArch, you're missing the assets package. Navigate the menu and go to "Online Updater" and select "Download Assets".

What cores are supported?

The cores listed below are known to work well on Xbox.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why isn't core X supported? Can I run X?
First, check out the compatibility list above. NOTE: Some Cores such as Citra, Mupen64, Reicast/Redream require an OpenGL renderer to function which currently the Xbox One doesn't have. Until ANGLE (translates OpenGL calls to Direct3D) is ported to Xbox One don't expect to see these Cores running.

Want additional information regarding RetroArch?
Visit the official release page:

https://www.libretro.com/

[Older News]
---------------------------------------------------
Retroarch Build 9 LINK
Retroarch Build 11 LINK (Now with added PPSSPP Core) ;)
Build 11 Brings a new WORKING PPSSPP Core!! You'll need to place this PPSSPP folder in Retroarch's "System" folder for it to work correctly LINK

----------------------------------------------------
Retroarch Build 13 LINK
Retroarch Build 14 LINK
----------------------------------------------------
Retroarch Build 15 LINK
This is the big one folks!! this new build includes a reimplemented VFS which means fullspeed Gui navigation is now possible WITH USB access!! Which in turn means Playlists are fully loadable with no slowdown of the ui!! Rewind also now works too!! This will probably mark the end of the Beta builds and we should get our first official Xbox One build soon :) Enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------
Here we are, the first official Alpha of Retroarch UWP can be found..HERE..This version has all the fixes and updates from earlier versions + the VFS USB fixes and now bumps us up to version 1.7.7!

------------------------------------------
Retroarch Build 21 LINK

This builds brings with it a Core many have been hoping for.. A Dolphin Core!! While the Core does run both Wii and GC games know that Emulation speed isn't perfect, hopefully this will change in time.
There's an ever growing Dolphin Compatibility list, please add to it if you can :)
There has been an issue with Controllers not being detected on first boot, This has been fixed also.
A few More core have been added too..
Finalburn Neo
Dosbox SVN
Dosbox SVN-Glide

----------------------------------------------
Finally it's happened, after what seems like an eternity ANGLE support has been added to Xbox One Retroarch (UWP), thanks to a recent Commit by a Dev named Driver1998 and work by Autechre.
Because of that work GL supported Cores (with a bit of tweaking) can now be built and run on UWP platforms.
Thanks to a Dev named m4xw the first Core has been made... One of the most anticipated Cores... Mupen64plus Next!!
That's right we finally have Working N64 Emulation on the Xbox One!!
But it doesn't end there. Other GL supported Cores should hopefully start to show up too. It's just a matter of time. ;)

LINK
(keep in mind this build ONLY has N64 built in, but you can install this build alongside your older build so you still have access to the other Cores.)
--------------------------------------------------------
Another New Build with another new ANGLE supported Core, and a highly requested Core... Flycast!!

For those who don't know Flycast is a Dreamcast Core. Have fun!
LINK
---------------------------------------------------------

[Latest News]
Retroarch 1.8.5 Released!!
Two new Cores.. ECWolf (Wolfenstien 3d Core and X1 Core)

LINK

(OP is a work in progress, current maintainer is @ploggy, @ me if something needs to be added or fixed!) + thanks to @Shadow0ne333 for the copy/paste of his Retroarch OP :P + Thanks to @dominater01 for uploading his APPX builds and his Youtube Vids :) Thanks to OsirizX for getting the Dolphin Core running + lastly thanks to @krzys-h and the Retroarch Devs for bringing Retroarch to us lowly Xbox One users :P

Last edited by ploggy,

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay, this and the win32 news from earlier show hope for the xbox homebrew community

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, I find it interesting that the bounty doesn't mention dynamic acceleration anymore. Did they already implement it? cause that is what caused the ps1 emulator to be slow

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yay, this and the win32 news from earlier show hope for the xbox homebrew community

Also, I find it interesting that the bounty doesn't mention dynamic acceleration anymore. Did they already implement it? cause that is what caused the ps1 emulator to be slow
Yip, CPR has started :P

The Retroarch Bounty was only started Today, the Dynarec Bounty is still going strong and getting updates quite regularly..
https://github.com/simias/beetle-psx-libretro/commits/dynarec (few hours ago infact) ;)

Things are looking up for Xbox for sure!

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is good news but this isnt gonna be a port that will happen for along time and here's why

1. getting someone interested in working with uwp is non existent at this point
2. even IF they have someone to work on it i assume it would take along time to make sure everything is ported correctly

IF it does happen tho it would make the xbox one a good emulation machine and have someone (the person who ports it) care for the damn emulator and isnt just doing it for money

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this is good news but this isnt gonna be a port that will happen for along time and here's why

1. getting someone interested in working with uwp is non existent at this point
2. even IF they have someone to work on it i assume it would take along time to make sure everything is ported correctly

IF it does happen tho it would make the xbox one a good emulation machine and have someone (the person who ports it) care for the damn emulator and isnt just doing it for money

It's good that the Retroarch devs themselves have now acknowledged the need for a UWP port rather than just us lot asking for one. :P It's more likely now than ever, especially if more people donate.
It shouldn't really take that much time, going by Twinaphex's post most of the fundamentals are already in place.

Reactions: wiired24

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good that the Retroarch devs themselves have now acknowledged the need for a UWP port rather than just us lot asking for one. :P It's more likely now than ever, especially if more people donate.
It shouldn't really take that much time, going by Twinaphex's post most of the fundamentals are already in place.

Yeah, as far as I remember. The biggest block that retrix had was dynarec support. And Absestos said that it would be possible if the libretro team is on board. This confirms that they are on board, which is why I am excited

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had a feeling no one would care about the xbox one enough to support the bounty

i also can predict its not gonna happen anytime in the next few years

saying that the uwp port is almost there in terms of all the stuff implemented and then instead of internally working on it they set up a bounty that's gonna be dead for awhile is even less promising then what we all hoped for

i dont want to be that guy when i say the xbox one unless fully hacked or emulated i dont think anyone will care about the system

i understand theres people out there like me who want this stuff to come to the xbox but we are not programmers and the ones that are arnt bothered to learn uwp or anything other then what we have

people seem to hate microsoft xbox and hate the uwp structure microsoft has made for windows 10 also some people just hate windows 10

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country

Correct me if im wrong but I don't think Dynarec would have to be written for XBone since it's running windows on x86.
I would guess that they could just straight up use the dynarec used on windows PC's with little to no modifications. Let me know if im wrong :)

Reactions: sweis12

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Correct me if im wrong but I don't think Dynarec would have to be written for XBone since it's running windows on x86.
I would guess that they could just straight up use the dynarec used on windows PC's with little to no modifications. Let me know if im wrong :)

Speaking of Dynarec.. A bit of an update on the PSX front.. https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214

(Quote from the man himself)

So I have make some progress, I can display the BIOS boot screen but the textures are messed up. I also have no sound. So... it's something. I think I could also display the PlayStation logo but I need to implement the GTE first.

Pretty pics are always worth getting hyped for ;)

Reactions: SnakeEater

SnakeEater

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow 720 $? Now i am getting hyped. Really hope this will run one day like ppssp.

Then we only need DC Emulator and thats all :D (Think Dolphin , PCSX2 is not very reallistic)

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Dynarec.. A bit of an update on the PSX front.. https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214

(Quote from the man himself)

Pretty pics are always worth getting hyped for ;)
the problem with the ps1 core on retrix is because beetle is more demanding for emulation and i bet if he just ported pcsx core it would be fine, thats what winpse10 is built off of and it runs better then beetle

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the problem with the ps1 core on retrix is because beetle is more demanding for emulation and i bet if he just ported pcsx core it would be fine, thats what winpse10 is built off of and it runs better then beetle
I agree 100% PCSXr would run great on Xbox One and with an Official Retroarch port we could get that core maybe but in the long run Beetle is the better core (with Dynarec of course)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The bounty's alive and kicking.. Just 5 days ago Twinaphex was in the process of working out a deal with another dev so we would get TWO Dynarecs for PSX where they would split the Bounty Plus get $200 (which as of this post would be $650 each) :P
Just read the last 10 replies.. There's life in the old dog yet ;)
https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214

Reactions: wiired24

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bounty's alive and kicking.. Just 5 days ago Twinaphex was in the process of working out a deal with another dev so we would get TWO Dynarecs for PSX where they would split the Bounty Plus get $200 (which as of this post would be $650 each) :P
Just read the last 10 replies.. There's life in the old dog yet ;)
https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214
sounds good but will it work on retrix and will it be ported once ready?

havent had a update on retrix or heard any info from absestos in awhile

also this would only benefit retrix and wouldnt mean porting retroarch over because of this which is fine
but i would like to have a retroarch port if possible

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
sounds good but will it work on retrix and will it be ported once ready?

havent had a update on retrix or heard any info from absestos in awhile

also this would only benefit retrix and wouldnt mean porting retroarch over because of this which is fine
but i would like to have a retroarch port if possible
Retix itself is built on libretro and uses the same "Cores" so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
At this point we would be better off getting someone interested in porting Retroarch to UWP directly. That way we'd be kept inline along with the main Retroarch branch updates

Last edited by ploggy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...