Not open for further replies.

lazyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think it might be time to abandon ship. How straight forward is switching cfw?
I'm guessing to switch over to atmosphere then upgrading firmware.

Do I need to do anything special/extra regarding my backup games on sd card?

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I think it might be time to abandon ship. How straight forward is switching cfw?
I'm guessing to switch over to atmosphere then upgrading firmware.

Do I need to do anything special/extra regarding my backup games on sd card?
Nah, just delete the reinx folder (or whatever it was called) from your SD card and extract the atmosphere zip file. I'd go with Kosmos over stock atmosphere if it's your first time using a different cfw (it's literally just atmosphere with some prepacked sysmodules and apps). Don't forget to install the sig patches because atmosphere doesn't include them like reinx. The sig patches are easy to install you just need to unzip them to the SD card.

Reactions: lazyguy

tiliarou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hell yeah! Back from the grave!

Anyone know what folder structure this release uses for the mods? Like is it back to the old "Titles" path?
Hoping to save myself a headache when I update.
It takes 2 seconds to download but anyway...
New folder structure needed, as with atmo. You can't use titles folder.

Dichotomy754

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It takes 2 seconds to download but anyway...
New folder structure needed, as with atmo. You can't use titles folder.
Sorry, was just bored at work and was kind of curious. Did not remember the cfw require some "mod" files to work making for an easy check...

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took almost a year and they labeled it as a hotfix? I guess that's as fast as they could get it out.

Nice! Hopefully Thomleg & D3fau4 can continue the work that Rei has left.
Hopefully they have a clear roadmap for the future, one that differentiates the project from Atmosphere.

An issue I had with Rei was that he would always claim his CFW was significantly different, even saying it was better in certain regards, but each time a major Atmosphere update was released that changed things up, he would complain that his inability to update ReiNX was all SciresM's fault. In reality, if his CFW was so different and so better as he claims, there wouldn't be an issue updating whenever Atmosphere gets an update, nor would he even need to wait for an Atmosphere update to update ReiNX. It's almost as if Raj was right.

I hope the new team can take things in a new direction, relying less on Atmosphere to get the job done. Perhaps they can change the default bootlogo as well.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It took almost a year and they labeled it as a hotfix? I guess that's as fast as they could get it out.

Hopefully they have a clear roadmap for the future, one that differentiates the project from Atmosphere.

An issue I had with Rei was that he would always claim his CFW was significantly different, even saying it was better in certain regards, but each time a major Atmosphere update was released that changed things up, he would complain that his inability to update ReiNX was all SciresM's fault. In reality, if his CFW was so different and so better as he claims, there wouldn't be an issue updating whenever Atmosphere gets an update, nor would he even need to wait for an Atmosphere update to update ReiNX. It's almost as if Raj was right.

I hope the new team can take things in a new direction, relying less on Atmosphere to get the job done. Perhaps they can change the default bootlogo as well.

If what I saw was correct there was a commit made just after the 3.0 release which would be the hotfix

As for the coding stuff - thats your opinion which you are entitled to. Wdym change the bootlogo? The sept screen? that can't be changed without the keys to sign sept, which I'm sure scires will give out. The reinx slash? Give it a new bmp, or if you mean one of the nintendo screens then that is changed with the latest commits....

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If what I saw was correct there was a commit made just after the 3.0 release which would be the hotfix

As for the coding stuff - thats your opinion which you are entitled to. Wdym change the bootlogo? The sept screen? that can't be changed without the keys to sign sept, which I'm sure scires will give out. The reinx slash? Give it a new bmp, or if you mean one of the nintendo screens then that is changed with the latest commits....
Wasn't referring to the Sept screen at all. That's been pretty common knowledge from the get-go.

I'm referring to the weeb one. Yes, I'm aware you can change it, but it's a bit laughable for that to be the default logo. If fans of anime girls want to boot with one, have them go through the process of customization. Telling the rest of the users to change it themselves just because you're a fan of anime is a bit ridiculous. That would be like if SciresM branded Atmosphere with Pokemon. It's just not something you do if you want to reach a broader user-base that will take what you do seriously.

Putting that aside, it's a little odd that you'd respond to more of a throwaway line instead of the real meat of my comment.

Reactions: tiliarou

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the entire scene sucks off atmosphere and pretty much all libs are built to cater towards atmosphere so its hard to do your own thing

if ReiNX was just copy/paste atmo then it should be easy to update

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the entire scene sucks off atmosphere and pretty much all libs are built to cater towards atmosphere so its hard to do your own thing

if ReiNX was just copy/paste atmo then it should be easy to update
Blaming the entire scene is completely ludicrous. I don't see why you'd shift the blame to everyone else when they just didn't have enough incentive to prioritize ReiNX over Atmosphere. Perhaps if the updates were more frequent and brought something new to the table, this would be another story.

I agree, it's not easy to do your own thing, but if it's too hard for them to handle why not own up to it instead of casting the blame to others? Just admit when it's too difficult to continue.

Kilim

ReiNX Official Dad™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaming the entire scene is completely ludicrous. I don't see why you'd shift the blame to everyone else when they just didn't have enough incentive to prioritize ReiNX over Atmosphere. Perhaps if the updates were more frequent and brought something new to the table, this would be another story.

I agree, it's not easy to do your own thing, but if it's too hard for them to handle why not own up to it instead of casting the blame to others? Just admit when it's too difficult to continue.
you sound like you don't know what you're talking about

in order to even make reinx boot rei had to do a shitload of work circumventing stupid nand checks that were only a thing because atmosphere decided to make them a thing

once that hurdle was overcome everything was updated in less than a day

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I don't know what patches I'm missing. I started using ReiNX, and when I tried using Tinfoil, it now tells me "Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again". This didn't happen with NeutOS, which had all the necessary patches. ReiNX.bin is loaded through Hekate, by the way (I'm currently on 10.0.2).

Edit: Now this is getting weirder. When I open the ReiNX payload, it's supposed to open ReiNX, but it opens Atmosphère instead. Is it because of the sept folder, which is from the Kosmos package? Should I use the one that comes with ReiNX instead?

Last edited by MushGuy,

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sound like you don't know what you're talking about

in order to even make reinx boot rei had to do a shitload of work circumventing stupid nand checks that were only a thing because atmosphere decided to make them a thing

once that hurdle was overcome everything was updated in less than a day
Creating a CFW in general requires a lot of work. They pretty much signed up for it when they decided to start work on this. Yet another minute point that doesn't really address much of what I said.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I don't know what patches I'm missing. I started using ReiNX, and when I tried using Tinfoil, it now tells me "Unable to start software. Return to the HOME menu and try again". This didn't happen with NeutOS, which had all the necessary patches. ReiNX.bin is loaded through Hekate, by the way (I'm currently on 10.0.2).

Edit: Now this is getting weirder. When I open the ReiNX payload, it's supposed to open ReiNX, but it opens Atmosphère instead. Is it because of the sept folder, which is from the Kosmos package? Should I use the one that comes with ReiNX instead?
Using the supplied sept folder with ReiNX is required as far as I know. Pretty sure it contains different payload(s) or something. Also, the issue with Tinfoil is probably something either with existing patches or Tinfoil itself as using Atmosphere with Hekate patches works to boot it, but that causes it to throw up an error which will delete your Hekate patches so it useless. Any other setup of Atmosphere patches or Reinx caused the same issue for me.

Last edited by Tomato123,

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the supplied sept folder with ReiNX is required as far as I know. Pretty sure it contains different payload(s) or something. Also, the issue with Tinfoil is probably something either with existing patches or Tinfoil itself as using Atmosphere with Hekate patches works to boot it, but that causes it to throw up an error which will delete your Hekate patches so it useless. Any other setup of Atmosphere patches or Reinx caused the same issue for me.
OK, so I used only the ReiNX files. So far so good, and I got Tinfoil to work. Thanks for the advice.

pitrako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question, any way of modifying fan rotation speeds like in atmosphere using system_settings.ini and blanking prodinfo natively like with exosphere.ini?

Last edited by pitrako,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o