Hacking Official R4 firmware as NDS file?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know you can encrypt some homebrew/firmware (Moonshell2 and YSMenu) to run as the firmware on official R4's, but is there any way to run the official firmware as a NDS file?

Xenon++ has written an app called SelectLoader (Included in mshl2tools) that can be used as firmware to launch selected homebrew/firmware based on a button being held down. I'd like to use it to be able to boot various firmware like Moonshell2, YSMenu, Official R4 1.18, R4li, etc... but I cannot get the official firmware to run as an NDS file.
I've tried decrypting it, decrypting and DLDI patching, and just DLDI patching... but none of it works.
I'm hoping that I've just missed a step and it's possible to have the set-up the way I imagine it.

House Spider

In the GBAtemp attic.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net
XP
Country
One time I used DSecure and it fucked up so I reput the DSecure files on my card without deleting the previous files first. I launched it up again and it just went into the R4 menu. So I went on my Laptop and in the DSecure folder there was a _DS_MENU.nds and it was the same size as the v1.18 firmware.

h8isgr8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem is that _DS_MENU.DAT doesn't have a DLDI section.

I suspect that when you try and load it as a .NDS file, the running kernel (YSMenu, DSTT, R4 1.18, etc) still tries to patch that area of the file. This probably overwrites critical code needed for the file to run properly, so it just freezes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: