Official PS3 Compatible Controllers Blocked

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by tigris, Sep 25, 2010.

Sep 25, 2010
  1. tigris
    OP

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    We all saw Sony's warnings about the possibility of "igniting" or "exploding" unlicensed third-party PS3 controllers, but apparently the publisher isn't even happy with one of its biggest official third-party supporters. The PS3 3.50 firmware update has disabled several third-party accessories including some from the biggest name in peripherals, Mad Catz, which leads us to bigger questions about what exactly Sony hid behind the scenes in its latest update.

Yet again, it looks like Sony sneaked in some changes to the PS3 in the latest firmware update that it didn't tell anyone about. Specifically, third-party USB peripherals are being cut off at the knees, completely disabling devices that worked perfectly before last week.

[​IMG]

Above: Sony's official notification about what's included in firmware update 3.50 says nothing about modifications to the system's acceptance of peripherals

1UP noted a handful of unauthorized accessories stopped functioning on PS3 systems with firmware 3.50. Things like a PS2-to-PS3 controller adapter called the JoyBox, and a mouse controller from SplitFish, the FragFX, have become completely worthless. It also found a couple other controller adapters that went kaput, but 1UP reported "no third-party controllers that are officially licensed by Sony have been found to be affected."

Well, that sounds sort of justifiable, if completely draconian. However, the story changes. Mad Catz, one of the biggest official third-party supporters Sony has ever had, has come forward saying some of its products were affected too.
    [​IMG]

Above: Mad Catz isn't some fly-by-night outfit skipping out on PS3 licensing fees. It's a legit, big time peripheral manufacturer that pays Sony for the assurance that its products will work without issue. Supposedly.

"Over the last 24 hours, various media outlets have reported on issues gamers are experiencing after downloading and installing the new ‘3.50’ Firmware for their PlayStation 3 video game systems," said the peripheral maker in a statement. Mad Catz then went on to say "a small quantity of controllers sold before 2008" no longer function with PS3s after they are updated to version 3.50.

Okay, seriously, it's one thing to disable unauthorized devices from the system. But when people who paid money for a legitimate, licensed PS3 product that was sold at reputable retailers are forced to go out and buy a new controller, that's a problem. Mad Catz sells hundreds of thousands of controllers every year so there are bound to be a large number of customers affected who got their PS3 in its first year. Imagine turning on your PS3, it prompts you for an update that says absolutely nothing about disabling controller functionality, and after it installs your controller no longer works.

[​IMG]

Above: Controllers like this, though given a full stamp of approval from Sony at the time they were made, no longer work on the PS3

Admittedly, there is a slight chance that this is accidental - something to do with the addition of Move support perhaps? And the tweak only seems to affect one legitimate company with a relatively small and "dated" (if you think two years is old for a controller) part of its product portfolio. But even then, is that acceptable? Sony has been very aggressive with trying to stop unauthorized activity on its consoles; it has remotely deactivated jailbreaking, and it took away the ability to install a third-party operating system, a move that has landed it into a class-action lawsuit. But now it may even be stomping over legitimate business partners. Where will it end?

Unfortunately, more specific details of which controllers were affected haven't yet been released. So you tell us. Have you had any problems with your third-party peripherals working after updating to firmware 3.50?

===
    Source on GamesRadar

2. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hilarious ham fisted reaction, aint no god damn "exploding" controllers, they obviously just wanna shut out haxing. After six years of success, is this truly their best method of piracy protection now ?

3. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Heh, that sucks for people with those controllers.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    RP SAID IT FIRST

Damn greedy Sony.

5. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    You gotta feel sorry for Mad Catz- I swear a patch hasn't been released for their controllers to work yet, either. Sony's new marketing strategy, perhaps?

And omg, raulpica seems to be a soothsayer.

6. Scott-105

Canada
    Why would we feel sorry for Mad Catz? They already got the money for selling the controllers. It's the buyers we should feel sorry for.

7. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well, both of them, then. [​IMG]

8. BloodyFlame

Member BloodyFlame GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok now I've changed my mind. I'm not buying a PS3. I'd rather have a console that is not created by retarded people(*ahem* Sony.) I'll just get a 360.

9. Scott-105

Canada
    I'm not trying to attack Mad Catz, or you. But Mad Catz probably doesn't even sell those controllers anymore. So why would it matter to them? The buyers are going to be pissed.

10. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    The buyers, ie me too, will be pissed when they turn on their PS3s...

11. qlum

Member qlum Posting when needed

Netherlands
    plus they can get a shitload of money when they start a lawsuit against sony

12. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    They'll try and patch Madcatz back in. It sucks that many unlicensed products no longer work and never will work again but such is life. There'll be more that haven't been disabled (assuming the protection detects certain things in hardware and is not looking for a certain signing or something)

13. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    that really sucks on both sides, i hope nintendo does not take the same route as sony is right now, i never really like mad catz anyways i always buy official controllers made by the company never a 3rd party b/c they just dont work well

ive had my experience with a 3rd party controller on ps1 and they are not that great i like original controllers

14. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    they're ok. budget, but ok.

15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I dont really care about madcatz due to many bad experiences with their poorly made products

16. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    they were licensed by sony. that's why this is such a scandal.

17. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Don't get a 4 GB one or you may never get to play online with some newer games.

18. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I read yesterday in a thread on the official playstation forums that some of the blocked controllers were now fixed, via a software update to the controller. Is this the future of controllers, making them update-able to bypass legitimacy checks?

19. tigris
    OP

United Kingdom
    ...and so the wii watches from the sidelines, a silent assasin...

20. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    What? I find this hard to believe somehow...