Hacking Official 3DS Piracy Discussion Thread.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Discuss anything about piracy on the 3DS, discussions, debates, arguments. Keep it here, just don't break the rules.

I need to reiterate a few rules here though.

No flaming.
No linking to ROMs.
No requesting ROM links.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
At this point, since the system is new i would say that piracy is bad, i don't want 3ds to turn into a ds that had high ammounts of shovelware... so please, wait some more time before you start doing piracy
smile.gif

Anyway, you should make a poll too
smile.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Piracy on a system this new is both dangerous for future sales and totally pointless. There aren't that many good games worth pirating at this point. Really it's just better to wait for the system to have more times so there are more games and the system is far more stable and has a better following.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MaxNuker said:
At this point, since the system is new i would say that piracy is bad, i don't want 3ds to turn into a ds that had high ammounts of shovelware... so please, wait some more time before you start doing piracy
smile.gif

Anyway, you should make a poll too
smile.gif
I agree, I say wait a year or 2+ before piracy really gets started.

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is bad, mk. Its going to happen sooner or later, but I didn't think we'd be seeing Rom dumps this early in the 3DS's life cycle.

I can only hope that it doesn't get out of hand too quickly, I mean come on; at least let the 3DS have ONE good year before pirates start messing up things for everybody

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's no proof that a pirate will buy a game if he couldn't pirate it, so in my opinion piracy won't make a difference in game sales.
But it's a fact that it could help boost console sales.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I'd like to say I find the flaming and trolling and general n00bness going on is hilarious to me.
2. I agree that piracy hurts sales, but the factor by which the affect of piracy is multiplied is dependent on one thing: availability.

The DS was hurt by piracy, but the DS could only be hacked/pirated for with a flashcart, a piece of hardware. Regardless of the fact that R4s are under $10, the fact that extra hardware [which in a general sense is hard to come by (meaning you can't go up to GameStop or Walmart and buy it)] is required prevents a certain percentage of people from pirating.

The Wii was hurt moreso by piracy, but even it wasn't hurt the most. The Wii can be softmodded to run pirated games without any extra hardware. However, the Wii DOES require something to store the games on, whether that be discs which can scratch, or an HDD which are a wee bit expensive.

The PSP was very severely damaged by rampant piracy. Anybody can get a memory stick, run a HEN then a CFW installer(or run an ISO loader from the HEN) and play pirated games from the mem stick. Thus, piracy was more available. The only thing saving the PSP from being a total failure is Square Enix (as pointed out in the other thread).

So long as the 3DS requires some kind of hardware to pirate games or run Homebrew, sales will not be affected by piracy as much as they could. Thus, I'm requesting, nay, begging hackers out there to stick with hardware exploits and NOT create a CFW for the 3DS unless absolutely necessary.

Gus122000

Trophies
XP
Country
No, just stop. I don't post much, but I can't stand the hypocrisy anymore. This is an old age question that really does not need to be discussed. Not only that but no matter what those people who support anti-piracy measures say on this website; they're still on a website obviously in favor of piracy. The whole website before and now has always been dedicated to piracy. Stop pretending you all care so much. It's like going to a homosexual forum and preaching about how homosexual sex is bad and how you're not in favor of it, yet still coming to the forum everyday and considering yourself a member. JUST STOP.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
Gus122000 said:
No, just stop. I don't post much, but I can't stand the hypocrisy anymore. This is an old age question that really does not need to be discussed. Not only that but no matter what those people who support anti-piracy measures say on this website; they're still on a website obviously in favor of piracy. The whole website before and now has always been dedicated to piracy. Stop pretending you all care so much. It's like going to a homosexual forum and preaching about how homosexual sex is bad and how you're not in favor of it, yet still coming to the forum everyday and considering yourself a member. JUST STOP.
I never said I wouldn't pirate. I'm saying that the 3DS has just begun its life cycle-give it a chance to prosper first.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gus122000 said:
Well okay, but this isn't a pirate forum. Now, it's roots did start with backups, but this isn't a pirate forum.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it silly when people say that piracy "hurts Wii sales", for instance, but it still is home to some of the best selling games of all time. Same goes for the DS. The PSP just didn't sell software by the tens of millions, big whoop.

Piracy is not a majority thing. The actual impact of piracy on sales is pretty much impossible to define.

Regardless, I probably won't try the 3DS until easy piracy is available.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like, i said before, i think it's over hyped by the 3rd party companies that make crap for games and then blames it on piracy.Here is an example...
3rd Party Company-" Wha!!! watching Paint Dry DS Blue edition didn't sell like we wanted?!!!!!!"

Developers for said company- "It really a cool game!!!, it has to be everyone is downloading it for FREE!!!! Darn Those PIRATES!!! It's not our fault!!!"

Just saying
wink2.gif

Shadowhunta

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
There's no proof that a pirate will buy a game if he couldn't pirate it, so in my opinion piracy won't make a difference in game sales.
But it's a fact that it could help boost console sales.

This!! to be quite honest i bought 1 game for my 3DS and that was just so i would have something to play...NONE of the launch games interested me at all! And the fact nintendo is charging top whack for a fucking HANDHELD game is beyond me! Piracy is not stealing, that would imply you have taken something from someone, which is not the case!
piracyisnottheft.jpg

Faize00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on pirating my 3DS, but i guess waiting for a year or so might be a good idea. And also i dont wanna get banned and not use the eShop.
frown.gif

P.S. Its June 6 from where i live so...

2404-1.jpg

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
When it comes to playing games that otherwise wouldn't work on your region console (as the 3DS now restricts)...yes i do think it's a good thing, otherwise we'd have to buy another console JUST to play those games; Taiko Drums, Japanese Elite Beat Agents..whatever other games only Japan comes out with/will come out with.

Apart from that..it encourages more shovelware games than it would without piracy.
frown.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
machomuu said:
Well okay, but this isn't a pirate forum. Now, it's roots did start with backups, but this isn't a pirate forum.

It depends how a person defines a pirate forum. In my definition posting scene releases, allowing piracy discussion and advertising flash carts qualifies for a pirate forum.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!