Hacking Official 3DS Piracy Discussion Thread.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
DiscostewSM said:
Haloman800 said:
tl;dr, piracy helps sales.

Of hardware, not software. Nintendo isn't making any more profit from the 3DS hardware.

they were selling it for at least 80 bucks extra a while ago
+ its highly unlikely they are selling it at cost to their suppliers
so they would be making a profit on sales of the console

Bloomberg Japan has stated that due to the recently announced price cut Nintendo will make a loss on every Nintendo 3DS system they sell. The report doesn’t state exactly how much of a loss Nintendo will make on its handheld, but this will be one of the few times that Nintendo makes a loss on hardware sold. Still, the price cut is sure to incite a Nintendo 3DS purchasing frenzy across the world.
source

The first couple of months before the price cut isn't going to make up for the years to come. Only until the components become cheaper will this turn around, but by then, they'll come up with a revision that may offset that.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of buying oot and mario land; after that, just pirating if it gets hacked.
I would've never bought the console if it was to be sure, not hacked.
The prices are outrageous here for me to own a legal copy set as mostly many ppl have mentioned before.
And still, because it'll probably get hacked: i bought the console and gave good feedback on most games i've played

Also, no people, if it was certain that it would not be hacked, we would NOT buy the console and would NOT buy games with it. If we're counting me as an example: if it was not going to hacked, ninty would've gained nothing from me.
I would buy nothing, cuz it would be literally stupid for me to buy a console with max 2 games.

The ppl who mentioned that piracy rate is low, is indeed right.
Please remember that a majority of the console and game owners do not spend their time discussing how to download games and stuff. They simply go to a store, buy a bunch of games they heard are good [or even mothers the imagine shovelware too if it comes to that] and that's it.
It's like console wars on youtube: there are MUCH more sony and xbox fanboys online raging in the comments than ninty ones and when they get more dislikes on sony sucks compared to ninty, they rejoice like all hell when behind the scenes ninty has like 5times more fanboys.

What i'm trying to say at this point is: just because on the internet, it seems extremely lot of ppl are pirating and stuff, it doesn't actually mean that avarage folk as well do that. Piracy does harm a tiny bit when it comes to income, but let's ton of ppl enjoy games they wouldn't be able to otherwise.
In fact, what hurts the most are trade-ins.

It's like if china were the consumers and we would be the pirates. It's shocking how many chinese ppl exist and you know barely anything about them, just like regular consumers.

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have something to say about Piracy. I don't think it's going to work as well on the 3DS as it did on the other DS consoles. For one, region locking. And there can't be modchips either, so you'll have to make sure you get the correct region of flashcart, and it'll cost the companies who are making the flashcarts more money to distribute different versions.

Secondly, if a game were to utilise AR cards, you wouldn't be able to get the AR cards unless you bought the game.

I think that Anti-Piracy for games can be much stronger this time around, seeing as how it's a possibility that the 3DS uses the internet to check for piracy and whatnot.

EDIT:

Also, I've bought Ocarina of Time 3D and I intend to buy any others that pique my interest, Mario Kart 7 for sure, anything that uses an external item you can't use if you pirated, etc.

jaynecobb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satirical said:
I have something to say about Piracy. I don't think it's going to work as well on the 3DS as it did on the other DS consoles. For one, region locking. And there can't be modchips either, so you'll have to make sure you get the correct region of flashcart, and it'll cost the companies who are making the flashcarts more money to distribute different versions.

Secondly, if a game were to utilise AR cards, you wouldn't be able to get the AR cards unless you bought the game.

I think that Anti-Piracy for games can be much stronger this time around, seeing as how it's a possibility that the 3DS uses the internet to check for piracy and whatnot.

EDIT:

Also, I've bought Ocarina of Time 3D and I intend to buy any others that pique my interest, Mario Kart 7 for sure, anything that uses an external item you can't use if you pirated, etc.

AR cards will not be a deterrent to piracy. all you have to do is get a pic of the card and print out your own. easy peasy.

as far as my stance on piracy, i "pirate" everything that i possibly can...then if the item is good enough i buy it.

this method has given HBO and Showtime a lot of money due to me buying their series when released on bluray. (i refuse to pay for these channels since i am already paying out the arse for satellite to begin with).

i have around 120 blurays now, and my game collection grows slowly as more worthy games are released.

game companies would do well to give me a demo to try, otherwise it's getting downloaded and if it's worthy, it gets bought. if not, then the trash bin gets a little fuller.

give me the opportunity to play before buying (like test driving a car) and i will gladly pay. buying blindly with prices these days is like economic russian roulette.

KevoNakamura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaynecobb said:
game companies would do well to give me a demo to try, otherwise it's getting downloaded and if it's worthy, it gets bought. if not, then the trash bin gets a little fuller.

give me the opportunity to play before buying (like test driving a car) and i will gladly pay. buying blindly with prices these days is like economic russian roulette.

I completely agree here. I've been pirating since I first learned the the old Max Media Player could be used to load commercial roms. When I found out about the twilight hack on wii, I was excited. I've bought two flash carts and am currently contemplatting a third, SCDS2, because I want gba games on my 3DS now instead of end of year. But, to get back to the point, I do think a try before you buy system would be great for the big N. I was under the impression that with the eShop and the supposed MML3 beta we were going to get, that we would get more oppurtunities to download demos and such from nintendo itself. I'll pirate and then buy, as of yet, I've no reason to go into a Gamestop, but with Starfox and new games coming down the road this year, that may change.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I doubt many who had the intention of pirating a game prior to trying out a demo for it will change their mind afterwards, because free is always better for the person who wants something. That begins to give little incentive for developers to make a demo in the first place.

If a person really likes a game, pirates it, and keeps it, then that is a sale lost to the developer who could have used that money to pay employees, company expenses, etc. Simple as that. The notion of that game staying on the store shelf for someone else to purchase is mute because another person may pirate it, keeping that game on the shelf, and another, and another. Games left on the retail shelves don't get replaced as quickly, meaning less copies get manufactured. Games that get purchased are tallied by the game industry. If record shows a game isn't in demand, then the game industry begins to believe such a game is not wanted, so the developer may move on to a different kind of game, like Petz, because 1) kids that young don't know much about pirating to consider it an option, 2) their parents purchase those games for them, and 3) it doesn't take as much development resources to make such games.

Even if it is the minority right now, there are far more pirates now that there were years ago, and there were more then than years before that. If piracy is allowed to continue, more pirates will emerge.

Deferet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only pirate because I hate to pay for a bad game. I pirate everything, and if I like the game I do actually go out and buy the game. I've also waited for midnight releases on games that I know I want, but I do know that there are several games that I wouldn't have even bothered buying but I downloadand they turned out to be great, so I did actually end up buying them. So the whole pirating scene in my case has paid off to some companys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol