Off we go again!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... it's an overheating SOUTHBRIDGE. You just need to add a $3 fan to it. Problem solved.

Done lots of times ;)

EDIT: It is a known problem on some HP motherboards, usually AM2+ dating 2-3 years ago. Also 1-2 years old AM3+ ASRock motherboards.

Also saw it happening on some 775 mobos.

I was gonna say, it's GOTTA be an HP. JUST because it's a piece of shit that failed in two years.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works perfectly on another computer, so the HD, partition and EVEN file system integrity (well, in practice this would not happen, but we'll make that for sake of simplicity) are a-ok. So, nope, it's not the HD :P Nor the OS.

EDIT: More hints, it's a 2 years old computer, so it isn't brand new, but not even old.
I would think the BIOS had something screwy go wrong and thus a setting in the boot order was changed. Like had the hard drive removed from the boot order. I mean that would be my first thought if I booted it up and then that happened. I've seen weirder things happen to the BIOS.

EDIT: South Bridge over heating would do it too. I just saw the solution.

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But aren't Elitebooks renowned for their functionality? (have seen two though which have problems, but those are the GPU and the fan collecting dust)
Btw. is it just me, or do the Nvidia Quadro cards have a lot of problems?

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Acers also kill themselves within 2 years... My acer only does word, FF and I try youtube..
Youtube won't play cos flash is a bitch which overheats the laptop. word + FF gets the cpu to about 78 degrees celcius..... It clocked the memory down by itself to about 800 Mhz efectively (DDR3, so the memory "runs" at 400 Mhz without the double data rate....)

My alienware rocks, as does my desktop :/

I would never recommend buying a: Toshiba, Acer, Asus Eee pc (gaming notebooks should be fine) and the other ones which don't support manufacturer drivers, or design a pc so it will blow itself up....

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Acers also kill themselves within 2 years... My acer only does word, FF and I try youtube..
Youtube won't play cos flash is a bitch which overheats the laptop. word + FF gets the cpu to about 78 degrees celcius..... It clocked the memory down by itself to about 800 Mhz efectively (DDR3, so the memory "runs" at 400 Mhz without the double data rate....)

My alienware rocks, as does my desktop :/

I would never recommend buying a: Toshiba, Acer, Asus Eee pc (gaming notebooks should be fine) and the other ones which don't support manufacturer drivers, or design a pc so it will blow itself up....

Yup had to reflow an Acer before due to the poor cooling of ita ATi Chipset but its still going after putting some decent thermal paste in there...

Actually I had to reflow the GPU of this laptop here too got it for free mind you with the GPU Acting up so reflowed it (unlike the Acer) with a heatgun, put some MX-2 on the CPU / Northbridge and GPU, then added some vent holes and its been going sweet ever since (2 months and counting) and runs about 15 to 20c cooler than it did for my mate on top with a faster CPU too

Since my Desktop is in storage ATM due to things going on in my personal life im rocking this laptop its nothing super fancy but gets the job done

Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 500GB WD Scorpio Black, Nvidia 8600m GS 512MB Dedicated

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine is/was a Acer aspire one 721.
But 2 weeks or so after applying new TIM on the CPU, GPU and chipset, it heats up to 69 degrees Celsius again under no real load (FF + word -.-")
Flash video's won't play, H.264 will play (when I was using IE 9 without flash in Win 7, now with IE 10 it runs in flash again, cos there is no H.264 or WebM????)

I have to say, my alienware is better on every plane :/
Cooling, battery quality (acer has degraded 35% in 2 years), screen, power..... realy everything.

That's why I don't advise people to buy the "plastic fantastic" things anymore....

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
...you know...it's great what you guys do here with your troubleshooting skills (in this case i would have brought ERD tools) but in real life when you're managing 10.000 computers you ask yourself "Self, what's more important here? Time or fixing the computer?" And the answer is always Time.
So unless you're dealing with a hardware failure, you kick off a user state migration tool, back that shit up somewhere on the network, then you kick off a remote customized image usign vPro functions and then you lay down the data again with USMT.
This is the approach i take with my home computers too when i run into a problem. If it takes more then an hour or two to fix a problem, just wipe your drive and start over again. Because the wiping and backup/restore can take less then two hours.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny enough asus and toshiba are 2 of the most reliable pc makers

Reactions: Sterling

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just be lucky you didn't work on a computer I had to work on once.
My friend called me one day to tell me his computer had a virus, which I thought would be 5 minute job. I wish it was that simple. His computer was so bad and so full of viruses that after 3 hours of working on it, I didn't even make a dent in it. I finally just installed Ubuntu on it and called it a day.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just be lucky you didn't work on a computer I had to work on once.
My friend called me one day to tell me his computer had a virus, which I thought would be 5 minute job. I wish it was that simple. His computer was so bad and so full of viruses that after 3 hours of working on it, I didn't even make a dent in it. I finally just installed Ubuntu on it and called it a day.

I don't understand how people can get their computers THAT bad.

Then again, the shit my dad does and then asks me about... I still might now understand how, but I do understand why...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't understand how people can get their computers THAT bad.

Then again, the shit my dad does and then asks me about... I still might now understand how, but I do understand why...
His girlfriend at the time tried to install a new anti-virus...that just turned out to be fake. Yeah they had that for 3 weeks before he finally called me about it.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Funny enough asus and toshiba are 2 of the most reliable pc makers

Toshiba doesn't let you install original drivers (from AMD etc.), so it's not that good imo, because when they decide to drop support, you're stuck with the bugs...

I also only mentioned the Eee pc, my sister had one and (most likely like a lot of those netbooks) it couldn't do anything (except for plain word and light websites)
Their other laptops are fine, I guess.
I also own a Asus CHIV mobo, 2 GPU's (however the 7970 DCII is a bad card when it comes to overclocking :/) and 2 monitors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/L7XokiY