O3DSXL not turning on

Egor_Lebedev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Recently my old 3ds xl stopped to turn on, when i connect it to the charger orange light stays for 5 seconds than turns off. I checked battery with a multimeter it says 4.5V, I even got another battery, still not booting. What should i do?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please check that multimeter. A single cell li-ion should not go as high as 4.5V! That would be very near to cause thermal runaway.

Not sure about the 3DS, but the DSi won't allow turning on with that high voltage (I've connected a lab power supply to the power input). I believe it accepted up to 4.3V.
Can't simply test this with 3DS as it needs a thermistor connected at the battery terminals.

Next it would be nice to know what happens when pushing (power) button.
  • Nothing? → ???
  • Blue LED on, fading off → Modded console not finding boot file
  • Blue LED on, abruptly off (sometimes with popping noise) → vital component not connect or ribbon cable to the upper screen damaged
Additional information please:
  • Drop damage?
  • Water damage?
  • Anything else?

Good luck!

Egor_Lebedev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Please check that multimeter. A single cell li-ion should not go as high as 4.5V! That would be very near to cause thermal runaway.

Not sure about the 3DS, but the DSi won't allow turning on with that high voltage (I've connected a lab power supply to the power input). I believe it accepted up to 4.3V.
Can't simply test this with 3DS as it needs a thermistor connected at the battery terminals.

• Nothing? → ???
  • Blue LED on, abruptly off (sometimes with popping noise) → vital component not connect or ribbon cable to the upper screen damaged
  • Drop damage?
  • Water damage?
  • Anything else?

Good luck!
When i try to turn it on without charger nothing happens, when using charger orange light turns off (even if i plug it in and do nothing orange light turns after like 5 seconds). About multimeter, I did it myself with arduino. I will try to get normal as soon as posible.
Post automatically merged:

• Nothing? → ???
  • Drop damage?
  • Water damage?
  • Anything else?

Good luck!
I just tried to charge it again and orange light stayed for like 3 minutes, so I think it is charging the battery. But still not turning on, any advices?

Last edited by Egor_Lebedev,

Thebleegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you ever end up finding a fix to this problem? I just had the exact same issue pop up with my old 3DS XL very suddenly and cannot seem to find a fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...