O3DS shuts off with pop, but not a blown fuse

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by RetroBitMig, Aug 20, 2016.

1. RetroBitMig
    OP

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    All right, hear me out everyone! I've been through a blown fuse before, and I know for a fact that this isn't it. I was performing a hardmod onto my friend's Mario/Luigi 3DS and I did it successfully (I love soldering onto systems, I've done mine so many times.) The system turned on fine, but wasn't being read. However, that isn't the problem. The problem is that after a while, I didn't touch the system for a few days after having removed the hardmod (I tested the system's power after removing the hardmod and then left it alone.) When I turned it back on, blue LED and a pop and it shuts down. Okay, let's try out a different motherboard from a different Pikachu O3DS. Test motherboard on other system and it turns on fine. Switch motherboard and same problem. Tried both boards on the Pikachu 3DS and they turned on fine. Any help?

tl;dr, motherboards don't seem to work when tested in one 3ds body but turn on fine with other 3ds body

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Did you check to see if you accidentally soldered two pins together or something? It sounds like either a blown fuse or a short somewhere in the system.

3. LiamTheHackermon

LiamTheHackermon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    Sounds like a blown fuse

4. Thee_BaBs

Thee_BaBs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    United States
    Are you sure you got all the zifs seated correctly because if you don't put the backlight in correctly this happens

5. RetroBitMig
    OP

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    To the two people who said it's a blown fuse, it's not. It powers on properly when I put it into the body of the Pikachu 3DS, but not when I put it into the body of the Mario/Luigi 3DS.

@Thee_BaBs I've double-checked every single connection in the 3DS, but will check again.

6. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    probably your lcd flex not making good contact on the board.
    I know you said if you switch boards they work just fine. still depends on how good the contacts are.

Last edited by leerz, Aug 20, 2016
    vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  7. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    IIRC the pop sound comes from either the screen or camera's ribbon cable not being connected correctly. (Or both)

8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sounds like a cable issue, I had something like this before, and fixed it by reconnecting all the ribbon cables.