o3ds screws impossible!

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SockNaste, Feb 4, 2016.

1. SockNaste
    OP

SockNaste My Little Pony Fetish

Banned
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    2 High To Remember
    Hello guys I recently tried to open my 3ds back case. The back case opened then the battery, but I noticed only 2 screws came out and 5 other screws wouldn't. I was also missing 2 screws! I sent it to Nintendo before, but I didn't think this would happen. Is there some technique to unscrew these screws? Whenever I try to unscrew them they will just not unscrew (sorry for not being to specific).

2. mchew

mchew Advanced Lurker

Jul 23, 2004
    United States
    are you using a #00 screwdriver?

[​IMG]

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It has to be a JIS screwdriver for best results, not a Phillips (although both look like a +, they have a slightly different 3D shape, and you can use a Phillips if you press down crazy hard). Doesn't help that it uses blue blue (threadlock)!

Durig likes this.
  4. SupaUser

SupaUser Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Behind you...
    If you don't have JIS, take a Phillips and use a rubber jar opener (bascially a sheet of rubber) and wrap it around the screwdriver many times. Then press down hard (put a towel under the 3ds to protect the top) and lock your wrist (no rotation). Use your free hand and rotate the 3ds itself (leverage). After 3-4 complete rotations of the 3ds the screw can be easily undone. You can try using a larger screwdriver (I managed to use a #0). Also, try and get a screwdriver with a larger body (preferably metal). Your standard jewelry screwdriver set should suffice.

5. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Get a #00 screwdriver. It will be a good investment if you are going to be opening consoles often

6. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    he can also use the rubber band screw trick for extra leverage

[​IMG]

Ruby Gloom likes this.
  7. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Very interesting. I might try that

8. BerserkLeon

BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

Mar 22, 2010
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    Having issues with this too, mine's on 9.9 so I dont think there's anyway for me to backup the NAND through homebrew.
    The tuts Ive been reading just say to go ahead and downgrade once you have *hax running.
    ... Without backing up the NAND? No thanks. I bricked my eevee LL like 5 times trying to mess with it before. I already know how unstable this can be, I'm not doing it without a backup.
    I've got a ton of rubber bands in my one drawer so i'll give that a go, three of the screws are giving me issues, the rest came out. Those three aren't going to be tightened as much as they were, that's for sure.

Rubberband trick doesn't really work on already stripped screws.
    I guess I'll give superglue a shot...

Last edited by BerserkLeon, Feb 19, 2016
  9. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    actually the rubber band trick is for stripped screws, but not completely shredded