NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I keep telling myself to hack my old model Switch but nope and it has been years now and I have the easiest Switch model to hack.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep telling myself to hack my old model Switch but nope and it has been years now and I have the easiest Switch model to hack.
I sold my first model in January. I already have pretty much all the games I want anyway, but if had no games, things might've been different.

Allen-R

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
After almost a 2 year break and hundreds of crashes later, you can expect an update on NX-Shell soon. This is going to be a much needed update, with a lot of user friendly changes and under the hood changes as well. This will probably will be the last major update because I didn't want to leave this project dead as it is. (You can expect the occasional bugfixes/hotfixes if necessary)
Welcome Back!

Reactions: Joel16

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update! Nice to see a lot of cool new features there.

A bit of feedback and constructive criticism to follow, I hope it's helpful.

Compared to the previous version the navigation is a bit awkward and hurts the user experience:
1. As a previous user mentioned the file browser feels really unintuitive without having the usual B back button
2. It would be better to have the sdmc pane active as soon as you open the homebrew instead of having to select panes, especially since sdmc is going to be used 99% of the time

Finally not a huge issue but the new version seems to take quite a few seconds to start compared to the previous version.

Reactions: lordelan and Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update! Nice to see a lot of cool new features there.

A bit of feedback and constructive criticism to follow, I hope it's helpful.

Compared to the previous version the navigation is a bit awkward and hurts the user experience:
1. As a previous user mentioned the file browser feels really unintuitive without having the usual B back button
2. It would be better to have the sdmc pane active as soon as you open the homebrew instead of having to select panes, especially since sdmc is going to be used 99% of the time

Finally not a huge issue but the new version seems to take quite a few seconds to start compared to the previous version.

Thanks for the criticism I'll address your point:

1) That probably won't be coming back as imGui uses the "back" button to return from a tab/popup/selector etc. I believe I'd have to rework and hijack some of imgui's methods which I feel adds a lot complexity just to make this work. IMO it might take a bit of getting used to, but that's it.

2) sdmc is by selected by default so I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean just get into the file browser it self?

3. The last point, yeah this is because of the experimental support for adding multiple languages. It's loading all the system fonts for Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters. This is also there to support filenames that contain symbols/characters.

Last edited by Joel16,

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the criticism I'll address your point:

1) That probably won't be coming back as imGui uses the "back" button to return from a tab/popup/selector etc. I believe I'd have to rework and hijack some of imgui's methods which I feel adds a lot complexity just to make this work.

2) sdmc is by selected by default so I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean just get into the file browser it self?

Strange that it's not an option with imgui but understood. As far as point 2 goes it was purely another ux suggestion, as in the previous version you open the homebrew and you're immediately browsing your files but now you need to activate the pane.

Perhaps these seem like minor things but I tend to focus on ux in software and this version has taken a few steps back in that department. I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical as I really appreciate the work you've done and 3.2 does everything I need to this day regardless.

Reactions: lordelan and Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange that it's not an option with imgui but understood. As far as point 2 goes it was purely another ux suggestion, as in the previous version you open the homebrew and you're immediately browsing your files but now you need to activate the pane.

Perhaps these seem like minor things but I tend to focus on ux in software and this version has taken a few steps back in that department. I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical as I really appreciate the work you've done and 3.2 does everything I need to this day regardless.
Ah I see you meant getting into the file browser itself initially, I might be able to add that just need to remember how. And no worries, I appreciate feedback of every kind.

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: lordelan

Al3Drk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it normal that in applet mode the UI is small and not loaded properly? I encountered this issue in the new release only

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_095720 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20220807_095720 - Copy.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 33

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Nice!
OP is there a possibility to embed a ftp client in it?
My god, someone else finally wants an FTP client on the switch? That's nice to see honestly. I hope they add in FTP support soon too. (and idk, maybe someone could make an FTP or even SMB client for the 3DS. SMB on the switch would be good as well)

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it normal that in applet mode the UI is small and not loaded properly? I encountered this issue in the new release only
Idk if you used an old release of NX-Shell at some point, but can you check if there's a file called "imgui.ini." in /switch. If there is you should probably delete it.

@Joel16
Hi, does it support NTFS USB drives?..
According to libusbhsfs it supports it but I haven't tested it.

Reactions: lordelan

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem, and don't have this file
Oh right I didn't notice earlier but he said "applet mode". That is currently not supported. Don't remember the exact reason why, but loading the extended font set breaks applet mode. The next minor update will allow you to enable/disable support for symbols/special characters which should theoretically fix this (also speed up boot A LOT with it disabled). Generally, what I hear from the community is that applet mode is unadvised.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.