Question Nut works fine over USB, seems to connect over network, doesn't list files over network

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by falcorr, Oct 23, 2019.

1. falcorr
    OP

falcorr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2019
    Australia
    I've gone to town making sure ports aren't blocked, Windows and Malwarebytes aren't blocking it, without success. The Nut GUI shows scanned files and the generated JSON is seemingly populated correctly. The Nut console sees a connection but does nothing more and Tinfoil doesn't list any files.

What could be the problem?

I've found others who never solved this went on to use Caddy, which I'm now attempting to use. I've got that going pretty easily (v1) but don't know how to make that work with Tinfoil. Alternatively, if you'd care to share how you made Caddy work in Nut's place I'm all ears.

2. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    are you using nut or nutfs protocol?

3. falcorr
    OP

falcorr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2019
    Australia
    I'm using the precompiled Windows build, if that answers your question.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Are you using the "New Games/DLC/Updates" lists on the left or going to usb:// or usbfs:// in the file browser? usbfs:// only lists files that are in the same directory as Nut from what I hear. usb:// and the "New" tabs list whatever is added to the list in the Nut GUI.

5. falcorr
    OP

falcorr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2019
    Australia
    Ah, I forgot about that distinction - yes, I've been using usbfs as usb didn't work either.

6. blawar

blawar Developer

pip Developer
    Nov 21, 2016
    United States
    With nut server running goto this url in your browser and tell me what the output is (replace the IP with your internal ip): http://192.168.1.2:9000/api/directoryList

7. falcorr
    OP

falcorr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2019
    Australia
    /api/directoryList outputs:
    {"dirs": [{"name": "."}, {"name": "C"}, {"name": "E"}, {"name": "F"}, {"name": "G"}, {"name": "J"}, {"name": "K"}, {"name": "M"}, {"name": "N"}, {"name": "O"}, {"name": "P"}, {"name": "S"}, {"name": "T"}, {"name": "U"}, {"name": "V"}, {"name": "W"}, {"name": "X"}, {"name": "Y"}], "files": []}

I've been having more luck with Caddy. Tinfoil can access its contents fine except doesn't pick up the listed filesizes. Any idea how I might fix that? Could I perhaps use Nut to generate an appropriate file that Caddy could host and Tinfoil could then read for filesizes?

Last edited by falcorr, Oct 27, 2019
  8. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    did you set the address in tinfoil? select file browser/usb then press X and set the address and protocol that appears in nut once connected you set folder destination in nut click scan then you should be able to see game files

9. falcorr
    OP

falcorr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2019
    Australia
    Yep, and tried a variety of novel changes to the address.

10. Teletron1

Teletron1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    maybe firewall?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted