Hacking ntsc-u brawl on jap wii. questions and information

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ok so i have trying to get brawl to work on my console these few days and i have been asking around shops getting mixed anwsers. so let me get things straight first.

my specs:
Wii(JAP) - 3.1J
WiiKey - 1.9G
Smash Brawl (US) - 7.xxgb .iso file, used regionfrii to change to JAP, then imgburn with layerbreak 2xxxxx(forgot the number), and used a memorex DVD+R DL at x2.4 (i have not used trucha signer on the iso)

when i try to run brawl it asks me to update, being a JAP machine i shouldnt right? cus JAP + US = brick. so i duno if i burned successfully or not. im guessing its because the US ver contains 3.2U but i am running 3.1j?

so i went out to some shops to ask for advice, and basically get 3 sets of responses.
1. i will be able to run retail US ver on my current specs no problem
2. if i change my chip to D2C, i will be able to run retail no problem
3. because my wii is JAP there is no way in hell i will be able to run a US brawl, retail or backup (i have seen SSBB(JAP) work on a US wii, so there shouldnt be any reason for it not to work the other way around right?)
so i duno who i should believe. and btw, i am located in hong kong, so i dont think the people here know about applications like reginfrii or trucha signer.

i have tried running DVD5 JAP brawl, it prompts and update and works normally for a DVD5(freezes on SSE).
SMG(US) does not work. it doesnt prompt an update and when i run it the screen just turns black and nothing happens. i reboot and my wii is fine. same thing goes for budokai tenkaichi 3(US).
i have semi bricked my wii before with SMG(US), but i fixed this with a wiifit(JAP).
when my wii was semibricked from SMG, i got the 001 error msg. but when i unbricked it with wiifit, i just get a black screen.
when i run regionfrii there is almost no loading time and i get "mismatched code". is that supposed to happen?
i have a pretty low knowledge about patching other than regionfrii.. so i dont know how stuff like wbb or language patching works.

and thats pretty much everything ive tried.
what should i do to get a US version of brawl to work? retail/backup doesnt matter
thanks in advance!!!!

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
hey man...
i've got a jap wii...
after updating wiikey and firmware to 3.2J, the SSBB US cd got recognized in channel...
when i run it, also gives me a black screen...
after i reboot it, it stopped reading ALL my backups...
Originals are not working too... get stuck on startup...

I dont know if that's connected to anything, just think you should know...

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
updated to 3.2j using wi-fi connection...
i used backup SSBB on a DL media... that was kinda crappy... but i dont think crappy media could cause this...

nysid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
ok, so i guess your Wii JP already got the update firmware from SSBB JP.
To play the US version, u need to WBB (remove update) first. It's so simple.
WBB the SSBB US ISO then burn again & you're ready to play.

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
nysid said:
ok, so i guess your Wii JP already got the update firmware from SSBB JP.
To play the US version, u need to WBB (remove update) first. It's so simple.
WBB the SSBB US ISO then burn again & you're ready to play.

ic.. but what about SMG and budokai tenkaichi 3 where it just turns to a black screen, and when i reboot nothing happens?

devil_goalie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been on the same boat than you just 12 hours ago, and now everything works, thanks to the guys from the jpn wii thread. What you need to do is to update the console with a modified update that doesn't contain any region-specific updates, because even if you have fw 3.2, there is necessary updates on SSBB DVD that needs to be run before playing it.

Go to this link and follow all the steps (requires trucha signer):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=76736

you can also go to the jpn wii threat to see feedback of others users:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=641...p;#entry1033711

Keep us updated about the results.

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
devil_goalie said:
I've been on the same boat than you just 12 hours ago, and now everything works, thanks to the guys from the jpn wii thread. What you need to do is to update the console with a modified update that doesn't contain any region-specific updates, because even if you have fw 3.2, there is necessary updates on SSBB DVD that needs to be run before playing it.

Go to this link and follow all the steps (requires trucha signer):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=76736

you can also go to the jpn wii threat to see feedback of others users:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=641...p;#entry1033711

Keep us updated about the results.

so this means using trucha signer is unavoidable? i tried it before but i cant seem to find the correct key.bin
sleep.gif
"

devil_goalie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for key.bin, just do some googling and you'll find it.

If you don't want to play with trucha, you can get a dvd5 copy of the ssbb jp and let the update run on the dvd, then put back the us version of the game.

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ive been playing the JAP DVD5 version of brawl before the US release.. so does that mean all i have to do is us wbb on the DVD9 US brawl and it should be fine?

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ok i burned the disc and.. it sorta works
i get 'game disc could not be read' when
1. i dont skip the opening sequence showing all the characters
2. right after i finish the first fight in SSE (mario vs kirby)
does this mean i burned the disc badly?
i used memorex DVD+R DL at x2.4 with imgburn

bmwu14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to extract main.dol from the second partition using Truscha signer.
I then use Generic Wii Patcher 1.11 wrote by Bailli to patch the language to English,
remove the copy protection which checks for the presence of the updating software
and produces the famous 001 error.

replace the original main.dol with the patched main.dol using Truscha signer.
Make sure you trusch sign it and close the iso.

Then use the version of Brickblocker that works on DL's to remove the updating software.

Then burn using Image Burn at a slower rate and specify the layer break.
D2C needs the layer breakk specified. If you have a D2B chip like mine, then
it's not necessary.

shadoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
devil_goalie said:
Yes everything should be ok for you since you installed the ssbb update

Sorry, just so that I'm reading this right - if I've installed the updates from the SSBB JAP DVD9 version already, I'll be able to run SSBB US without any updates? (I wanna play in Eng...)

jeff730

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ok i finally got my NTSC-U brawl to work on my NTSC-J wii
heres a summary of what i did

Specs
-NTSC-J wii
-3.1j + wiikey 1.9G
-NTSC-U Brawl DVD9
-imation DVD+R DL
-imgburn 2.4.0.0 at x2.4 with layerbreak (2084960)
1. burned a JAP DVD5 brawl on a DVD-R (single layer) and used it to update my JAP wii
2. downloaded a FULL VERSION of NTSC-U brawl and ran wbb (brick blocker) and regionfrii on it
3. burned it on an imation disc at the metioned settings
works fine exept with an occasional 'game disc could not be read' error, but this is not an issue the error will not appear again after a reboot.

*i DID NOT use trucha signer*

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
a friendly advise...
- learn how to use trucha signer and use it and other tools available to make your games work.
- downgrade to 1.9b.
- dont upgrade to 3.2J before doing so...

from my experience, it may mess up your wiikey, make it not read any backups and some originals and make your dvd drive act crazy (ejecting discs several times).

it happend to my jap wii...

luckly i managed to recover 1.9b and now its fine...

its always better to solve the problem using software than hardware...

simpleplan123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a different problem. I got a Jap Wii. It's semi-bricked by Pokemon Battle Revo. So I have no idea what the firmware is. I also have no idea what mod chip is inside. But I know I didn't update the mod chip. So I have SS:BB (US), it's patched so didnt have to use the generic thing or wiibrickblocker. It's burned on a DVD DL. So I put the disc into my Wii and when I click the disc channel, all I get is a "?" and some jap words below. Tried ejecting it and putting it back in but got the same thing.

Now what I wanna know is:

1. What must I update in order for SS:BB to be able to be read on the disc channel (Don't think is disc problem)?
2. I have SMG (Jap) but didn't unbrick my wii yet cos of ppl saying their back-ups don't work after it. So should I unbrick my wii or what? (I wanna know this as it seems if I don't do anything, I won't be able to play certain future games)

Please help. Thanks.

stuffed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
you should do the following to be safe..

- download ssbb JAP dvd5
- run it without applying ANYTHING...

this will update to 3.1j and will unbrick your wii. also install updates essential for playing ssbb/

after that put in ssbb USA and it should play fine if the copy you got is patched (generic, wbb and trucha)

as far as i know updating your wii firmware will not disable any chip.
although, you should check which chip are you using, coz some chips cant run ssbb...
if you got wiikey, maybe you'll need to update to 1.9b (NOT 1.9g - its evil!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @Sicklyboy, how much did you spend? Saw it on sale for $35 yesterday tempted to grab another one