Hardware NTSC/PAL Charger Compatibility

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Understood! Thanks! When the PAL 3DS comes in the mail, I'll check the charger to make sure the output is the same as the output on the US charger. If it is, I'll use the US charger. If it isn't, I'll go buy a converter from radioshack.

Something interesting: On the top of the american 3ds, where the charger input is, it says '4.6V = IN'. This supports the idea that the output is the important part, and that I need to make sure the new 3DS takes the same output.

I think I know enough information to figure it out on my own when the PAL 3DS comes in the mail this Friday. Thank you all! I'll let you guys know what happened so you can use this as a reference for others!

My EUR charger says:
charger said:
bloc d'alimentation
WAP-002(EUR)
PRI.:230V~50Hz 7W
SEC.:4.6V=...900mA
The =... is actually some weird symbol. It's like an =, but the bottom line is dotted. I'm not sure why it says bloc d'alimentation instead of just "charger", but that's normal for Nintendo chargers here.

The input voltage shouldn't matter because that's what the charger gets from the power outlet. In Europe the default input voltage is 220-240, but in America it's half of that. The charger more or less takes the input current and converts it to the output current. (in this case, 4,6V and 0,9A) Since the output is the same (Ampere is just as important as Volts!), you shouldn't have any trouble. I don't advise trying to use the PAL charger though, especially because you have a working NTSC one so it's not really necessary anyway.
That's not entirely true. A typical european charger which was designed to work at 220/240V will work half as efficient when fed only 110/120V, so keep that in mind. The other way around, using a US charger in Europe will result in burning the fuse the moment it's connected, so let's just say it's not advised to use it.

If you want to connect a charger that works on a different voltage than the one in your outlet, you need to buy a converter (it's just a basic transformer, really) to convert the current to the one familiar for the charger.

Also, no such thing as a PAL 3DS, NTSC 3DS, PAL charger and NTSC charger - NTSC and PAL refers to video modes of TV's, that, and only that.
Which is why it's better to just use the one that works without any converters. You're right about PAL being only for monitors and stuff, though.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The input voltage shouldn't matter because that's what the charger gets from the power outlet. In Europe the default input voltage is 220-240, but in America it's half of that. The charger more or less takes the input current and converts it to the output current. (in this case, 4,6V and 0,9A) Since the output is the same (Ampere is just as important as Volts!), you shouldn't have any trouble. I don't advise trying to use the PAL charger though, especially because you have a working NTSC one so it's not really necessary anyway.
That's not entirely true. A typical european charger which was designed to work at 220/240V will work half as efficient when fed only 110/120V, so keep that in mind. The other way around, using a US charger in Europe will result in burning the fuse the moment it's connected, so let's just say it's not advised to use it.

If you want to connect a charger that works on a different voltage than the one in your outlet, you need to buy a converter (it's just a basic transformer, really) to convert the current to the one familiar for the charger.

Also, no such thing as a PAL 3DS, NTSC 3DS, PAL charger and NTSC charger - NTSC and PAL refers to video modes of TV's, that, and only that.

So glad we're having that discussion again :D

Understood! Thanks! When the PAL 3DS comes in the mail, I'll check the charger to make sure the output is the same as the output on the US charger. If it is, I'll use the US charger. If it isn't, I'll go buy a converter from radioshack.

Something interesting: On the top of the american 3ds, where the charger input is, it says '4.6V = IN'. This supports the idea that the output is the important part, and that I need to make sure the new 3DS takes the same output.

I think I know enough information to figure it out on my own when the PAL 3DS comes in the mail this Friday. Thank you all! I'll let you guys know what happened so you can use this as a reference for others!

My EUR charger says:
charger said:
bloc d'alimentation
WAP-002(EUR)
PRI.:230V~50Hz 7W
SEC.:4.6V=...900mA
The =... is actually some weird symbol. It's like an =, but the bottom line is dotted. I'm not sure why it says bloc d'alimentation instead of just "charger", but that's normal for Nintendo chargers here.

Which is why it's better to just use the one that works without any converters. You're right about PAL being only for monitors and stuff, though.

That equals sign with the dotted line on the bottom is the symbol for an AC (alternating current) power source, which is what you find in all homes. The charger converts it to a DC (direct current) output, which is what you would find in the cigarette lighter of a car, a battery, a USB port, or a computer power supply, among others.

Edit - the conversion to DC that the charger does is why you can use a USB cable to charge your 3DS, since the USB output is already a DC current, and that extra .4v is negligible.

JimmyMcNulty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Right. I understand PAL and NTSC are for software, I was just using it to distinguish between chargers as well. I suppose I could've said 'european' or 'american' instead.

Alright, guys, it sounds like the American charger and the European charger both push out the same exact amount of energy (4.6V and 900 mA). I'll confirm this by checking the output voltage on the european charger I am shipped before using my american 3ds charger to charge it. Hopefully, the charger will say that^ and I'll charge the PAL 3DS on the american 3DS charger and I'll be peachy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right. I understand PAL and NTSC are for software, I was just using it to distinguish between chargers as well. I suppose I could've said 'european' or 'american' instead.

Alright, guys, it sounds like the American charger and the European charger both push out the same exact amount of energy (4.6V and 900 mA). I'll confirm this by checking the output voltage on the european charger I am shipped before using my american 3ds charger to charge it. Hopefully, the charger will say that^ and I'll charge the PAL 3DS on the american 3DS charger and I'll be peachy.
As I said earlier, look closely to what the charger says - it outputs 4,6V and 900mA when the input is 220/240V for European chargers and 110/120V for American ones. Half the input will equal half the output, more or less.

You can charge an European 3DS, a Japanese 3DS or an American 3DS with the exact same charger and it won't matter - what matters is where you use which charger. The systems are virtually the same, they differ only in the Region Lock.

JimmyMcNulty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
To expand on your point, you're saying that the output is the same for ALL chargers? So long as I buy the official charger for the region I'm in, I'll be able to charge any 3DS with it?

Pardon me if I misunderstand.

Edit:
Examples in case this is unclear.

If I live in the US, I buy a US (NTSC) 3DS charger. With that, I can charge any 3DS from Europe, US, or Japan while in the US.
If I live in Europe, I buy a European (PAL) 3DS charger. With that, I can charge any 3DS from Europe, US, or Japan while in Europe.

So buying a converter is just to save people the trouble of buying the region's specific charger. And, I suppose, so that they can use it for plugging in other things.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To expand on your point, you're saying that the output is the same for ALL chargers? So long as I buy the official charger for the region I'm in, I'll be able to charge any 3DS with it?

Pardon me if I misunderstand.

Edit:
Examples in case this is unclear.

If I live in the US, I buy a US (NTSC) 3DS charger. With that, I can charge any 3DS from Europe, US, or Japan.
If I live in Europe, I buy a European (PAL) 3DS charger. With that, I can charge any 3DS from Europe, US, or Japan.

So buying a converter is just to save people the trouble of buying the region's specific charger. And, I suppose, so that they can use it for plugging in other things.
The Output of any Nintendo-certified charger for the 3DS will be appropriate for the 3DS *provided that the input is appropriate for the charger*. If the input will be too large, the safety fuse inside the charger will blow immediately and no damage to the 3DS should occour, but there is a slight possibility that it may take a hit, however the 3DS itself is also protected by a fuse. If the current will be too low, the charger will not charge with its nominal values (if at all, but theoretically it should), but will not be damaged and will not damage the 3DS unit.

Every 3DS console is exactly the same from a hardware stand-point and charges with the exact same current, it's the chargers that differ, but they share the same nominal output.

That's as clear as I can describe it. :)

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll just simplify and clarify what you guys are saying. Its simple really. There are two "interfaces" in question:
1) The interface between the wall outlet and the charger.
2) The interface between the charger and the 3DS

As long as the specs are correct at each interface you should be fine.

1) Eur outlets output 220-240V so make sure the charger takes in this standard EUR voltage (if plugging into a EUR outlet)
USA outlets output 110-120V so make sure the charger expects this standard USA voltage (if plugging into a USA outlet)

Just FYI: The wall outlets are AC current which is why current values aren't specify as these are varying in time. The voltage specified also varies in time but I believe the values specified are RMS values (root mean square) - they are just specified as 120V or 240V without saying they are RMS values because it is a well-known standard RMS value. Just to be clear the RMS value is not the "peak" voltage value but rather a certain average voltage. The peak voltage will typically be higher than the RMS value.

2) USA 3DS expects 4.6 V @ 900mA - hopefully the EUR 3DS is the same.
Just make sure whatever charger you use outputs what the 3DS expects.

The voltage/currents at the second interface are DC which means they are continuous and so both the current and voltage can be specified.

interface 1 and 2 are independent. As long as you can match up the in/out across each interface you should be fine.

Just FYI: I believe the reason power distribution occurs with AC current/voltage is because these signals are usually propagated across great distances and there is less power loss in the transmission lines and they are much safer than transmitting DC signals over great distances. Most likely the cost of the tranmission lines or the losses upon them would be a huge financial burden to the electric company if DC signals were used. Power companies also optimize by minimizing power losses of the transmitted signals by correcting the phase of the voltage/current waveforms.

Reactions: 1 person

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2) USA 3DS expects 4.6 V @ 900mA - hopefully the EUR 3DS is the same.
it is
Good - so you should be able to just use whatever charger properly plugs into the wall. Also, I would imagine that if the specs of the chargers were different Nintendo would design the plug/connector that plugs into the 3DS to be different so that they could not accidentally be swapped (and fry your unit).Basically what I'm saying is that if the charger plugs into the 3DS without problem it is most likely fine (although since you know the voltage/current are the same its definitely fine ;))

Reactions: 1 person

JimmyMcNulty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Basically what I'm saying is that if the charger plugs into the 3DS without problem it is most likely fine (although since you know the voltage/current are the same its definitely fine ;))

Ding, ding, ding! Just what I needed to hear. I'll be sure to check it when it comes. Thanks, guys!

NathanDuma

Trophies
XP
With some googleing I found out that the 3ds is univeral while the charger is not.

You could also call Nintendo and ask them, because they'll have the most accurate answer.

JimmyMcNulty

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The guy sent a charger with the 3DS. The charger he sent plugs into US walls. This charger works fine. It says:

Input: 100V-220V 50/60 Hz 12VA
Output: DC4.6V 900mA

It says (JPN) at the top. I think it's a Japanese adapter. Which is weird... I thought they had different wall plugs...

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, as long as the output amperage on the charger is equal to or greater than what the 3DS needs it shouldn't be a problem as the 3DS won't pull more than it can handle. Remember, when it comes to the charger you can't ever have too many amps (but you can have not enough) but you can have too high voltage. Since all DSi/3DS systems charge off of 4.6/5V DC a US adapter will work on an EU/Japan system (provided you are using a US outlet!).

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
so i can use 5v ac adapter with the 3ds?

No, you have to use a 5V DC adapter. Where in the world do you find an adapter with an output of 5V AC anyway? I didn't think such a thing existed outside of some fancy test equipment that lets you select the voltage and current type (AC or DC).

sayofy

Trophies
XP
Country
so i can use 5v ac adapter with the 3ds?

No, you have to use a 5V DC adapter. Where in the world do you find an adapter with an output of 5V AC anyway? I didn't think such a thing existed outside of some fancy test equipment that lets you select the voltage and current type (AC or DC).

sorry i ment dc , i was afraid to use it cause on 3ds power input is says 4.6 v

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol