Homebrew NTR Launcher - Bring back that classic DS boot screen for your DS games!

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The current NTR Launcher uses the new ndslib which supports mode switching, I think it could help the display thing and do the forward process just after the NTR bootscreen.

Edit: Sorry if cannot help since I don't have the sc of your forwarders :(

Ahezard's libnds is really only being used for the predefined registers so that I don't have to define them in my code. I'm not using any of the other new things yet, so if you define again the registers (change REG_SCFG_EXT to *SCFG_EXT and define it for example) you could run this on normal libnds. (now that it boots exclusively in TWL mode)

Once ahezard fixes the card reset code in his libnds I may switch over to using that function. But for not it doesn't seem functional so I still define that function in my program. So for now you can restore the original register definitations and names and not use the new libnds for this. I manually specify the mode switch code and card init functions and aren't using the ones built into the new libnds yet.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,
Reactions: Billy Acuña

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone brought up the intro scene from Sonic Rush Adventure lagging a bit in NTR mode. I checked and it does dip a bit for the bottom screen. But with my TWL clock speed option enabled it does not lag. So that's one game that benefits from it. :P

You can add Solatorobo to the list. One of the most obvious places where you see slow down (and an improvement) is Flo's Quest list in Pharaoh (lots of background stuff happening). I imagine Resident Evil and Mario 64 DS (seems really choppy compared to Super Mario 64) would see significant improvement, but I haven't tested those yet.

Thanks a lot for all the work Apache Thunder. I really like Solatorobo and high res DS emulators don't do it justice compared to this. :)

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
@Apache Thunder
What are the needed dependencies/libraries to compile NitroHax/NTR_Launcher?

Thanks in advance :)

Just a normal devkitpro install. Except you replace libnds with ahezard's fork of libnds. (it's on his github). You have to compile that. Do that once you have devkitpro/devkitarm installed. Then copy over lib/include folders to the libnds folder replacing the existing ones.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a normal devkitpro install. Except you replace libnds with ahezard's fork of libnds. (it's on his github). You have to compile that. Do that once you have devkitpro/devkitarm installed. Then copy over lib/include folders to the libnds folder replacing the existing ones.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Apache Thunder
I'm getting a error
Code:
fatal error: maxmod7.h: No such file or directory
What do I do

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you have a incomplete devkitarm/devkitpro install.

Also if you get "undeclared" errors regarding the SCFG register calls, you don't have ahezard's fork of libnds installed correctly. Also that appears to be linux...I can't help you with linux issues as I do not personally use Linux to compile things. I do everything on Windows 7 currently. :P

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

cainamm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can now skip the boot splash by holding B. TWL clock speed option moved to A button:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases/tag/1.4

Hi @Apache Thunder
I took some time to play with the new releases last night as I wanted to try and find a single launcher that would work with both my DSTT and R4 card.
Just a couple of things I noticed and did not know if it would be helpful to you or not so I decided to post
1. I noticed this with the alt release - Did not have time with the official release
A. Just trying to launch the launcher with the R4 card and wood firmware resulted in the Loading screen on top with nothing further
a. If I launch you the stage 2 launcher that works with this card the card launches and loads the wood menu, if I then launch the NTR alt build without removing the R4 the card will boot to the wood menu. Removing the card then reinserting causes the same behavior with NTR launcher giving me the loading screen. I am not sure how relevant all of this is so I thought I would share.

2. I found that the alt launcher would intermittently sometimes load the DSTT properly, and other times would just give me blank white screens without the usual DSTT loading icon.

At this point it was getting late and I couldn't figure out how to reproduce making it load the DSTT consistently but I will look some more when I have time.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm so close to finding my old R4 and trying this out. There are a few games I know suffer slowdown I'd love to see if the increased speed would fix. I "think" it's under my bed somewhere... in other words, it's probably lost...

cainamm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd. The alt build boots my R4 perfectly fine. It's the normal build that has R4 hang on load screen. Did you try the normal build? Someone reported that worked for their R4 instead.

Well I was playing with the normal build for a little while without success - Then I realized I had not updated to the latest LUMA yet, so I do not want to post any results from that. When I noticed LUMA had not been updated I had the alt build installed and did not have time to test with the normal build. All in all it is not a huge deal for me, like I said I was just looking for one loader to rule them all as it were, but each of the individual stage 2 launchers work perfectly.

On my days off I will make some time to play with it some more (these are actually my kids 3ds, dad doesnt really get to play with the 3ds that often, lol in less you consider spending hours downgrading each of them as playing :P)

So thank you for all your work, like I said I'm not sure if this info helps or not, I just wanted to put it out there in case it does. If there is anything I can do for you as far as testing goes please let me know.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
1.6 build now available!

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases/tag/1.6

This build now resolves broken card init if booted with no card inserted. I've added a new bottom screen animation that prompts the user to insert a cartridge if NTR Launcher was booted without a cartridge. It will automatically continue once a cartridge is inserted.

Note that the boot animation can not be skipped if you booted it without a cartridge. Also removed screen flicker when booting with splash screen disabled. It now seamlessly transitions to the game. :D

Reactions: RocketRobz

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
This was rather quick, but yeah yet another update:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases/tag/1.7

This I got up faster then usual because I found I could boot my DS-Xtreme with this now. I disabled the secure area/logo crc error check so it doesn't stop on bad secure area/logo CRC.

This now allows it to boot my DS-Xtreme. This may increase flashcart compatibility drastically. I would like to hear a test report on folks who have not managed to get this to boot their flashcart in the past to retest with the 1.7 build. It may boot your card now. :D

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was rather quick, but yeah yet another update:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NTR_Launcher/releases/tag/1.7

This I got up faster then usual because I found I could boot my DS-Xtreme with this now. I disabled the secure area/logo crc error check so it doesn't stop on bad secure area/logo CRC.

This now allows it to boot my DS-Xtreme. This may increase flashcart compatibility drastically. I would like to hear a test report on folks who have not managed to get this to boot their flashcart in the past to retest with the 1.7 build. It may boot your card now. :D
yesssss! Now run DSTwo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/iqu132vTl5Y?si=MZw4KpDtlawLZNEF