Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OTy3UmG.png

Updated Weekly, Last Update: 09/03/2016​
Recent Findings (As of 09/03/2016):
  • @Explos figured out how to make Luigi player one.
Archive
  • @newluigidev found that all power-ups use the same animation
  • @newluigidev started work on documenting the code.bin file
  • Bob-omb launcher, Rotation Controller - spinning, Floating Box, Scale Lift and multiple other sprites had their sprite data updated.
  • Roulette Block, Flag Controller - Chainer, POW block, Camera Controller, Tightrope and multiple other sprites had their sprite data updated.
  • @ray Figured out importing custom backgrounds.

Overview
We are a group of people in the NSMB2 romhacking community that want to see more progress made. We are all doing whatever we can with the tools and skills we have, to make as much progress as we possibly can.

What we know so far
Sprite Research
As of 09/03/2016, 11.349% of NSMB2's sprite database is complete 96.625% is known
NSMB2 Sprite database
Level Editing
Currently it is possible to edit:
  • The layout of a level, (Blocks, tiles ect)
  • The sprites in a level
  • Progress paths
  • The amount of zones
  • The music in each zone
  • The background in each zone
  • The tilesets used in each area
  • Entrances and Exits
Tileset Editing
Currently it is possible to:
  • Import custom tileset images
  • Use the first 256 tiles in a tileset as blocks
  • Edit block behaviors
  • Add/delete/replace blocks to a tileset
  • Edit the 3D behavior of tiles
  • Create 3D overlays for tiles
Model Editing
Currently it is possible to:
  • Edit model Textures
  • Edit/Replace certain models, e.g. Level backgrounds
  • Export existing models
  • Map models and textures are replaceable
Other info
Other things we know:
  • Models break if a model contains more textures, animations ect
  • The Title screen logo is 3 images that are layered to create the 3D effect
  • Tileset tiles that are animated(flowers, grass ect) are saved in a different place to regular tileset tiles
  • Editing of in-game text is possible

What we are currently working on
Sprite Research
@Explos is working on technical sprites, e.g. Auto-scrolling controller, Vertical camera limit.
@Gimzie is working on enemy sprites.
@iZackefx is working on technical sprites.
@Epic_stuff is working on enemy sprites.

Tileset Editing
@Explos is looking into animated tileset tiles.

Model Editing
@newluigidev is working on getting custom models into the game.

Projects
@Gimzie is creating New Super Luigi 2 - Thread
@EarlAB is creating a NSMB2 Brutal Mod
@TheKingy34 is creating Super Mario Bros. 3Deluxe - Thread
@Explos is working on a group project with @Gimzie, @newluigidev, @pumpkin_pips and @Epic_stuff

Tutorials
How to extract and rebuild the NSMB2 romfs - Credit - @Gimzie
Find it on @Gimzie's thread here
How to build a level in coinkiller - Credit - @Gimzie
Find it on @Gimzie's Kuribo thread here
How to replace music - Credit - @saburou
@saburou's thread.

1. Get a MP3/WAV, Audactiy, NSMB2 extracted romfs_ext, romfs builder and the Smash 4 3DS hack pack. (Optional: Get Foobar2000 and the VGMStream plugin if you want to listen to the music).

2. Open your music in Audacity, and if there are 2 tracks, make one of the tracks come from left side, and one right side of the speaker. If there isn't two tracks, create a Mono track and copy the audio from track one. Then make one left and one right.

3. You must make sure there are five mono tracks. Then, if you want, put audio in these tracks, if you don't want Tanooki Drums or Gold Ring SFXes, make the tracks blank.

4. Export the audio as .ogg (Vorbis)

5. Open the Smash 4 hack pack and go to the Audio section. Right click on the Smash 4 ips .bat file and edit the .nus3bank, and change the text into .bcstm. The text will be located somewhere underneath the '3DS' section. Once you've finished editing, save the .bat. Drag your .ogg file onto the .bat. It will start a CMD window and text to do with Nintendo audio compression and 2001 copyright. Let it finish, and a .bcstm will appear.

6. Now get the original .bcstm from NSMB2's rom and open your hex editor. (download one if you don't) Get the original track and your edited one, and copy the hex between values 090 and 143 from the original file, and paste write it onto the 090-143 in your edited one. Save your edited one and you're done!
How to create a custom tileset (Video) - Credit - @newluigidev
Find it on @newluigidev's thread here

Useful knowledge
Switches
P Switch - Shows blue coins and switches coins and blocks (temporarily). - Duration - 8.96s
! Switch - Triggers red block outlines to become solid (temporarily). - Duration - 8.96s
? Switch - Triggers (Almost) any event type (temporarily or permanently). - Duration - 8.96s
Downloadable stuff
Explos' Luigi as player one Mod
Xdelta patch downloads -

EUR - Special Edition
EUR - Standard Edition
US - Gold Edition
US - Standard Edition

Usage
This short guide assumes you already have your romfs.bin and exefs.bin files dumped - Click here for a guide on how to do this
  1. Download the Xdelta patch for your region.
  2. Extract the code.bin file from your exefs.bin, to do this, download Ctrtool if you don't already have it and run the command "ctrtool -t exefs --exefsdir=exefs --decompresscode exefs.bin"
  3. Use Xdelta ui to apply the Xdelta patch to the code.bin file you just extracted
  4. rename the patched code.bin file to "TitleID".code
  5. Place this file into the Hans folder on the root of your 3DS sd card
  6. Launch nsmb2 through Hans and set code -> SD to yes
Contributors

If you are interested in helping us and you aren't a complete noob, pm @Explos with how you are willing to help out, for an invite to our Discord Server.

Last edited by Explos,

saburou

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey wait. The tutorials are great.
But...
How to replace music - Credit - @newluigidev
Is this tutorial really by newluigidev ?
I can't think so because this tutorial same as my tutorial completely ! Is this a coincidence ?

Look this part.
Get the original track and your edited one, and copy the hex between values 090 and 143 from the original file, and paste write it onto the 090-143 in your edited one.
Actually, you can paste from not original file.
For example, if you paste 90-143 from STRM_BGM_CHIJOU.bcstm to STRM_BGM_CHIKA.bcstm, it works.
I researched the way to music hack myself so I know this.

I can't deny about his tutorial 100%. I'm not angry. But I cannot quite understand it.

If I say something wrong, I'm sorry. I'll draw beautiful Voltorb and post somewhere.

Sorry for posting like this.

Explos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey wait. The tutorials are great.
But...

Is this tutorial really by newluigidev ?
I can't think so because this tutorial same as my tutorial completely ! Is this a coincidence ?

Look this part.

Actually, you can paste from not original file.
For example, if you paste 90-143 from STRM_BGM_CHIJOU.bcstm to STRM_BGM_CHIKA.bcstm, it works.
I researched the way to music hack myself so I know this.

I can't deny about his tutorial 100%. I'm not angry. But I cannot quite understand it.

If I say something wrong, I'm sorry. I'll draw beautiful Voltorb and post somewhere.

Sorry for posting like this.

Huh, I never checked the source of the tutorial when newluigidev gave it to us, I will update the thread with the correct credits and also a link to your tutorial.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)