NPD sales data shows top 10 best selling exclusive games since 1995, all are Nintendo games

3849-1-1.jpg

The NPD Group has been tracking United States video game sales data since 1995, offering decades of sales history to look back upon. Analyst and employee of The NPD Group, Mat Piscatella, has trawled through the available records in order to create a definitive list of best selling games, with previous lists including what titles shifted the most copies on PlayStation Vita, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. This time, Piscatella has revealed the best selling console exclusive video game titles since 1995--not including ones that were bundled with hardware--and the results show overwhelming domination by a single company: Nintendo. Every entry on the list belongs to a Nintendo system, ranging from the Wii to the Nintendo 64. The top ten are as follows.

10. Wii Sports Resort
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
8. Super Mario 64
7. Mario Kart DS
6. New Super Mario Bros.
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
4. Wii Fit Plus
3. Mario Kart Wii
2. Wii Play
1. Wii Fit

Taking the lead, perhaps surprisingly, is Wii Fit, and the top 5 are solely comprised of Nintendo Wii games. The most recent release from there is New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which hit store shelves on November 11, 2009. NPD does not track digital sales data, however none of the above games were available in a digital format at the time of release.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Does this include bundled games? I assume it does. That kinda skews the results IMO.
This time, Piscatella has revealed the best selling console exclusive video game titles since 1995--not including ones that were bundled with hardware--and the results show overwhelming domination by a single company: Nintendo.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Does this include bundled games? I assume it does. That kinda skews the results IMO.
Piscatella has revealed the best selling console exclusive video game titles since 1995--not including ones that were bundled with hardware
Otherwise Wii Sports would probably be #1.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In all honesty, I find it hard to believe.

COD games sell well in the 20 million copies and last year, GTA 5 was the 6th or 7th best selling game in the US...

Edit: if it's physical copies only then it would be a bit more believable, but then the title would be misleading.

Last edited by DinohScene,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Everyone can pack it up now and go home. We finally found out that Wii Fit is the best video game ever.
nope, it has most copies sold because it was included in all later Wii bundles, pretty sure the sales from standalone edition is far to be considered good.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States

COD games sell well in the 20 million copies and last year, GTA 5 was the 6th or 7th best selling game in the US...

"This time, Piscatella has revealed the best selling console exclusive video game titles since 1995"

That is why. damn, I knew Nintendo games were popular but I never knew it was to this level.

Reactions: Chary
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States

This list is only for exclusive games, of which COD and GTA are not. If we're counting all games, that title goes to GTA V.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Edit: if it's physical copies only then it would be a bit more believable, but then the title would be misleading.
"Exclusive Games"

What part of that is misleading?

Anyway, it's not really a surprise. People only buy Nintendo systems for the exclusive stuff lol

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

Since when has COD ever been an exclusive?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This list is only for exclusive games, of which COD and GTA are not. If we're counting all games, that title goes to GTA V.

Never mind me, I'm blind : D

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
its pretty easy for nintendo to win, Microsoft and sony don't have that many sales on their exclusive at all.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now I'd like to know which games including multiplatform titles sold the most units on a single console.
I'm not sure whether GTA V will actually beat Wii Fit or not. At least it seems like at the beginning of the year GTA V for PS3 was pretty close and GTA V for PS4 was a few million units behind. I don't know if that significantly changed over the course of almost a year.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Exclusive Games"

What part of that is misleading?

Anyway, it's not really a surprise. People only buy Nintendo systems for the exclusive stuff lol
Sony's massive lead this generation can also likely be attributed to the amount of exclusives on PS4. If people cared more about cross-platform games, XB1 wouldn't be way behind Switch in month-to-month sales already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he?