Hacking Now will we be able to find out how Nintendo uses the gamepad as a controller in vWii?

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
was just about to say this, to the people who didnt know the system menu is not a global software which is always running, every single game has their own little system menu gui implemented which shows if you press the home button so just because you still see this happening on wiiu doesnt mean at all that it is actually running in the original wii mode.
Fun fact some games have different effects on the suspended screenshot in the back. Wii Party does some Sepia effect, some blur it, and some just don't show one.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OHHH OHHH IDEA.

We can dump and restore vWii saves super easily right? So if the Wii U uses some special vWii with gamepad support, all we have to do is import a corrupt save into a fragile game and BAM homebrew with gamepad support.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Regarding the Homemenu that comes up when pressing home in Wii games:

Everybody should now by now that this menu and it's images come from the actual game Disc/image/iso, and not from the system.

So to be short, this menu has NOTHING to do with vWii.
The menu and all artwork are present in/on the game disc/image.

EDIT: FIX94 mentioned this allready

MY suspision is that all eshop Wii games/ releases are running in it's own Ios mode.
Much like what is happening in the Wii hacking scene, having only 1 cIOS to play 99% of all games.
In fact you can run backups and play almaost all games without haaving to deal with the official ios present in the Wii-vWii system. One "multicios' does it all.

This would simple enough to achieve for Nintendo, or even having only the needed ios to run in legacy Wii U mode would be enough for most Wii games.

To be honest I do not think vWii and Wii U interact with each other.
Nintendo wrote their 'own" custom ios specifically for Wii game ios emulation of some sort.

So I will burst your bubble for now....

edit : sorry for the typos!

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The lines of code that contain Gamepad compatibility must be in the game itself, that's why we don't get a system update, that or it will prompt a system update when classic controllers compatible games launch.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's selfish of Nintendo to be pulling an act like this when they could very well do it for the Wii Mode but again, it's business and they want to sell their eShop digital copies whereas from the Wii Mode they'd make zero though since it's their product they should try to keep improving it.

Talk about improving, those Wii U menu speeds could be a lot faster considering PS3, PS4, Original Xbox and etc all reach their menus instantly (like settings) whereas on Wii U it takes a couple of seconds, and this is an 8th gen console.

Well... I have no idea, really!

It may be not as easy to RE as it seems though. I wouldn't be surprised if it works like this:
  1. Nintendo created their own "cIOS" (except working with eShop purchases, obviously)
  2. This thing is kept not available to the rest of vWii
  3. It pulls the saves from regular vWii partition because why the hell not, but that's it
The pessimistic scenario is that they revamped whole IOS security system. Since they launched the thing without a global update, this doesn't seem probable.
The optimistic scenario is that this is already implemented in regular vWii IOSes , but this is even less probable.
Of course these are all guesses from someone probably less educated than you.

Anyway, if this is what's happening and not some deep magic like a completely separate hardware mode, here's how GamePad access could work:

1. The games and IOSes are changed to support this (special IOS GamePad API)
  2. Only IOSes are changed (repacking controls into Bluetooth packets)
  3. Only games are changed (special non-IOS GamePad API, like System Menu aspect ratio thing)
Anyway, in order to use this thing. Some people can decrypt Wii U HDDs or something, so it should be easily seen if they changed the games (...unless, like VC, there's a separate patch file, or unless their abilities don't work with the latest update). The cIOS changes, on the other hand, may end up being complicated to detect.

Alternatively, one could try to exploit an eShop Wii game. Whether this makes sense or not... depends on a game. Basically, the more complicated the save is, the more sense it makes. The currently announced games seem to be ones with uncomplicated saves - that said, that's what I'd think about Zelda, so well.

This all assumes that the CC > GamePad conversion is exclusive to eShop versions of games. If it's not (low chance, but who knows), this will simply work out of the box.

Wow, this guy seems like he figured it out and he's most definitely right but I've been wondering, will it only be compatible with the GamePad or the Pro Controller too?

It sucks that Nintendo keeps on shitting on the Wii U Pro Controller which is their best Wii U controller for the games.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Wow, this guy seems like he figured it out and he's most definitely right but I've been wondering, will it only be compatible with the GamePad or the Pro Controller too?

It sucks that Nintendo keeps on shitting on the Wii U Pro Controller which is their best Wii U controller for the games.
Games designed with wiimote only method will not compatible with other controllers including Gamepad. Games originally compatible with Wii CC/CCP will be compatible with Wii CC/CCP/Gamepad, no Wii U Pro Controller. So yeah, basically Nintendo being Nintendo.

What I find more unfair from Nintendo's part is this digital re-releases don't add anything new (just the format), this option should be included from start for phisical disc, I mean nothing stop them including Gamepad support for Wii disc games, instead they probably will hide it keeping it only available for digital releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL