Homebrew Now that I have a New 2DS XL, I wish to install Snes VC injects

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, given that I'm on 11.5, my options are severely limited, or rather, my only real option is to install CFW using a pre-flashed flashcart such as the Acekard 2i or the R4 Gold, correct? Would I need to send the device to someone to install the CFW for me or would it be better for me to buy the flashcart myself and follow the guides to install the CFW and then install the CIA files for Snes VC games? I apologize for the noobish questions, I'm just mostly trying to find out if going through all the processes is worth it. Failing that, should I trade my 11.5 2DS XL with another one on Gamestop with a lower firmware and simply never set up WiFi on that?

What's the easiest way to install Snes VC injections on 11.5? And on pre 11.5 firmware?
How much of a risk is there installing permanent CFW on the 2DS? I don't want to lose out on 160 dollars.
Is the compatibility for injection relatively good? I would consider Snes9x but it's based off of 1.43 and as such, the sound emulation is off compared to official Snes emulation.

Thank you ^_^

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
However, given that I'm on 11.5, my options are severely limited, or rather, my only real option is to install CFW using a pre-flashed flashcart such as the Acekard 2i or the R4 Gold, correct? Would I need to send the device to someone to install the CFW for me or would it be better for me to buy the flashcart myself and follow the guides to install the CFW and then install the CIA files for Snes VC games? I apologize for the noobish questions, I'm just mostly trying to find out if going through all the processes is worth it. Failing that, should I trade my 11.5 2DS XL with another one on Gamestop with a lower firmware and simply never set up WiFi on that?

What's the easiest way to install Snes VC injections on 11.5? And on pre 11.5 firmware?
How much of a risk is there installing permanent CFW on the 2DS? I don't want to lose out on 160 dollars.
Is the compatibility for injection relatively good? I would consider Snes9x but it's based off of 1.43 and as such, the sound emulation is off compared to official Snes emulation.

Thank you ^_^
There are no risks for installing B9S, as the brick risk for B9S is slim to none (Basically, you'd need to be purposefully trying to get yourself bricked in order to brick yourself :P).

As for SNES VC Injections, you'd obviously need to install CFW to do it (I'd recommend looking at this thread), but, through my experience with Injections, some roms would run similarly to 3DS Homebrew Emulators (But I would then be reffering to GBA VC Injections, SNES Injections I'm not too sure).

Last edited by UltraArceus3,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no risks for installing B9S, as the brick risk for B9S is slim to none (Basically, you'd need to be purposefully trying to get yourself bricked in order to brick yourself :P).

As for SNES VC Injections, you'd obviously need to install CFW to do it (I'd recommend looking at this thread), but, through my experience with Injections, some roms would run similarly to 3DS Homebrew Emulators (But I would then be reffering to GBA VC Injections, SNES Injections I'm not too sure).

GBA VC doesn't use emulation AFAIK, but a compatibility layer (DS mode), and as such, is missing many features such as save states, among other things. Snes VC has a higher compatibility I hear, would it be better to trade my 2DS for another 2DS XL or New 3DS XL for the sake of being on a lower firmware? Oh! Wait, so you're saying no matter what version I'm on, I need CFW no matter what, but that for the newer firmware, I have to install it via NTRHax or whatever it's called? Either way, it sounds like I need a flashcart, which unfortunately costs more money, along with the micro SD card. Guess there's no avoiding that, just don't know what cart is better.

UltraArceus3

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by UltraArceus3,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you take a look at the thread I posted? (https://gbatemp.net/threads/free-ntrboot-installation.480864/)

Anyway, if you don't want to use NTRBoothax, just use https://3ds.guide/ to look for any other methods and how to use those methods to get you CFW...

Huh, I wrongly assumed NTRBootHax was the only method that worked with 11.5, wasn't aware that other methods existed for CFW installation :blink:

the snes vc injects work really well. Even super mario rpg works without problems

I'm surprised SA-1 emulation works as well as it does, but the 2DS XL does have an 804 MHz CPU, so it makes sense.

If you buy an R4i Gold 3ds rts, you can flash if using your unmodified n2ds.

What about the Acekard 2i? Is the method for that different? Maybe I should post in the WTB section to see if anyone has any pre-patched carts. Too bad there's no free way to install CFW on a 2DS XL.

Apologies once more, Tempers, but I want to be sure I get as much info as I can before I dive in.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I know is that 'SNES9X' (the standalone emulator) has an extremely high compatability rate for those games that don't work quite right using the N2DS's own SNES emulator. Which isn't that bad, actually.

If you know someone who can help you with your CFW issue, don't hesitate to ask. Barring that, you could always return or exchange and make sure it's on a lower firmware. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with the really paltry selection of SNES games on the eShop. But, those are actually good games, though.

EDIT: I think I got NINJA'D.

Last edited by ZachariasBarnham,

UltraArceus3

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
What about the Acekard 2i? Is the method for that different? Maybe I should post in the WTB section to see if anyone has any pre-patched carts.
NTRBootHax works by having a .NDS file (Which is the Installer) for a specific flashcart. By running the .NDS file, it'll "permanently" flash the flashcart to a NTRBoot Cart...

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy acekard 2i unless you have a ds, dslite, dsi, or another 3ds that is already modded

So the R4 Gold will be the card of choice then, gotcha.

The only thing I know is that 'SNES9X' (the standalone emulator) has an extremely high compatability rate for those games that don't work quite right using the N2DS's own SNES emulator. Which isn't that bad, actually.

If you know someone who can help you with your CFW issue, don't hesitate to ask. Barring that, you could always return or exchange and make sure it's on a lower firmware. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with the really paltry selection of SNES games on the eShop. But, those are actually good games, though.

EDIT: I think I got NINJA'D.

I'm very picky about sound emulation, Snes9x unfortunately uses 1.43, which is before Blargg's S-SMP core was implemented, resulting in Zsnes like sound *shudder*. Snes VC emulation is pretty much spot on to real hardware, or Blargg's S-SMP, so I would preferably stick to that. I don't know of anyone personally I can ask to mod the 2DS for me locally, so I would have to send it out to someone, have it modded (but I would also need a cart beforehand), and then get it back, so yeah I'd be without one for a week or so. Even if it was a lower firmware, wouldn't I need CFW for injects anyway?

NTRBootHax works by having a .NDS file (Which is the Installer) for a specific flashcart. By running the .NDS file, it'll "permanently" flash the flashcart to a NTRBoot Cart...
I see, I suppose it makes sense on how it's permanent.

UltraArceus3

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I see, I suppose it makes sense on how it's permanent.
They say if you flash the flashcart using the DS/DSi method, the only way to flash it back is to leave the DS/DSi system turned on with the flashing program still running, and to reinsert the NTRBoot Cart after you're finished with it...

(Creative, I guess... :P)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They say if you flash the flashcart using the DS/DSi method, the only way to flash it back is to leave the DS/DSi system turned on with the flashing program still running, and to reinsert the NTRBoot Cart after you're finished with it...

Ugh, I don't know if I want to do that, I primarily want VC injects really, IDK, *sigh*. Sounds like either way, it won't be happening for a while, either I buy the card, flash it myself and follow the guide. Or I get the card, then send it off to someone and hope it doesn't take too long. Wish there was an easier way to install CFW without a cart, but sadly, even on lower firmware that's not feasible >< Oh well.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't have to worry about being able to reflash the r4i gold after, you can boot the flasher again with luma chainloader

Not gonna lie, there is a lot I'm going to have to read up on, Luma, Chainloader, etc, I've been out of the loop for quite a long time. Lots of catching up to do, so my apologies for not knowing what's what :unsure::ph34r:

The ultimate goal is for me to easily install Snes (and maybe other VC injects, which there was a Genesis VC)

- Get the R4 Gold
- NTRBootHax - CFW
- Snes VC injects

Not too keen on playing 3DS "backups" at the moment.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not gonna lie, there is a lot I'm going to have to read up on, Luma, Chainloader, etc, I've been out of the loop for quite a long time. Lots of catching up to do, so my apologies for not knowing what's what :unsure::ph34r:

The ultimate goal is for me to easily install Snes (and maybe other VC injects, which there was a Genesis VC)

- Get the R4 Gold
- NTRBootHax - CFW
- Snes VC injects

Not too keen on playing 3DS "backups" at the moment.
You can hold start on boot to load up a list of .firm payloads before the console even boots. You can load stuff like ntrflasher and stuff to unbrick your consoles

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can hold start on boot to load up a list of .firm payloads before the console even boots. You can load stuff like ntrflasher and stuff to unbrick your consoles

Will need to again, read up on what's what, and then decide if I want to get the R4 Gold card (assuming there are some in stock), along with a good sized micro SD.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will need to again, read up on what's what, and then decide if I want to get the R4 Gold card (assuming there are some in stock), along with a good sized micro SD.

To expand a little bit on what UltraArceus3 said about flashing on a DS/DSi, it will also be impossible to flash it back alone using an unmodified n2DS, since there's no way to make a backup to restore so it will be useable as a regular cart.

However, there is a workaround. If you can find someone else who has an R4i Gold 3DS RTS, you can ask them to send you a backup and simply restore that once your n2DS is hacked. I do believe Lilith Valentine had an R4i Gold 3DS RTS, although I may be mistaking her for someone else.

This doesn't matter if you don't care about using it as an NDS flascart, but it's worth considering so you get your money's worth when paying for the card.

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To expand a little bit on what UltraArceus3 said about flashing on a DS/DSi, it will also be impossible to flash it back alone using an unmodified n2DS, since there's no way to make a backup to restore so it will be useable as a regular cart.

However, there is a workaround. If you can find someone else who has an R4i Gold 3DS RTS, you can ask them to send you a backup and simply restore that once your n2DS is hacked. I do believe Lilith Valentine had an R4i Gold 3DS RTS, although I may be mistaking her for someone else.

This doesn't matter if you don't care about using it as an NDS flascart, but it's worth considering so you get your money's worth when paying for the card.

I would preferably keep the 2DS XL permanently CFW/hacked, as I'd have no plans to undo the hack, if I understand what you're saying correctly (and given what I'm feeling right now, I may be 100% wrong *shrug*). Currently no DSi or DS that I wish to flash, but the 2DS XL for the sake of decent Snes emulation or rather, VC injections. The device actually is pretty impressive for what it can do, things are gonna be rough financially until I get things together, long story.

Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would preferably keep the 2DS XL permanently CFW/hacked, as I'd have no plans to undo the hack, if I understand what you're saying correctly (and given what I'm feeling right now, I may be 100% wrong *shrug*). Currently no DSi or DS that I wish to flash, but the 2DS XL for the sake of decent Snes emulation or rather, VC injections. The device actually is pretty impressive for what it can do, things are gonna be rough financially until I get things together, long story.
I wasn't referring to the 2DS, I was referring to the R4i Gold cart itself. In technical terms, NTRboot is what is installed on the cart, which in turn installs CFW on the 2DS.
If you put NTRBoot on the R4i, it will not work as a DS cart while you have NTRboot installed on it, it will only work as an CFW installer and nothing else. I was trying to say you should uninstall NTRboot from the cart after you hack the 2DS, since ntrboot has no use besides hacking consoles. If you remove NTRBoot from your R4, it can then be used for it's original function, DS Homebrew and playback.
You probably don't care about using the R4i for DS homebrew or playback (since your priority is the VC injector). However, it would still be to your advantage to remove NTRboot in case you ever do decide you want that stuff.

Sorry for the confusion, if anything else is unclear feel free to reply here :) you may also want to check out https://3ds.guide or the Q&A thread on reddit.com/r/3dshacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1