Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

Front-page
    GrookeyBattle.

Following up on the Pokémon Direct on June 5th, Nintendo has revealed more information on Pokémon Sword and Shield at the Nintendo Treehouse Live at E3 event. The showcase revealed a few things, such as the new Pokémon Yamper and Impidimp, as well as other general gameplay.

However, during discussions with Junichi Masuda, he revealed that not every Pokémon is going to be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield. "What that means for Pokémon Sword and Shield is that players will be able to transfer their Pokémon from Pokémon Home, only if they appear in the Galar Pokédex." This means that certain Pokémon will be completely omitted from the game, for the first time in the series' history. Naturally, people are upset about this, leading to a whopping 40,000 dislikes on Nintendo's official upload, compared to the video's 15,000 likes. Part of the frustration comes from the idea that all Pokémon can be transferred to the new Pokémon Home service, and have no way of leaving, leaving them in what is essentially a Pokémon Prison.

In an interview with USgamer, Masuda explained that the reason for omitting Pokémon was down to the "higher fidelity" of the game, as well as the "higher quality animations". He also said that they're looking to keep the battle system balanced, and to allow the new Pokémon to shine.
    Previously, all Pokémon were available through trades and cross-generation transfers of Pokémon. This meant that each game had a unique set of Pokémon that appear, but the others can be obtained in some form. It's currently unknown how many Pokémon have been cut from Sword and Shield.

You can find a list of Pokémon confirmed for Sword and Shield here.

:arrow: YouTube Video
    :arrow: USgamer Interview

Discussion (280 replies)
  1. Daisy
    OP

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    I can't see how anyone could defend this decision, honestly. Isn't the whole point of Pokémon to 'Catch 'Em All'?

2. Xzi

Xzi A terrible fate fills you with determination

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    'Tis a shame. For every step forward, GameFreak seems to feel like they have to take another step back.

3. Crimsonflare

Crimsonflare Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2013
    Brazil
    Juiz de Fora
    Such disappointing news... Again. Pokémon isn't what It was years ago, sadly.

4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Nintendo seems also recycle HD models from pokemon go, never expect that Big N would made such lazy decision!!!

5. Daisy
    OP

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    From X/Y actually, I believe. The models in the 3DS versions were made to be future-proof, which probably explains why battles run so poorly in the 3DS games.

6. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    What makes you think that? The old models came from the 3DS engine.

7. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    New tag line

Pokemon... Gotta catch some of em

8. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    This just makes me sad. I'd love to support more great Pokemon games, but I love playing competitive Pokemon. Not having access to them all is even more frustrating then having certain abilities be inaccessible due to transfer problems or lack of events
    edit: I have no problem with them reusing materials either tbh.

Last edited by MythicalData, Jun 13, 2019
  9. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    As long as all my pokemons are safe in Pokemon home, I'm good ^_^

10. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    I invite to model, rig and animate 900 unique freaking monsters. It is insane, even for Game freak.

Gimzie, gamefan5, epickid37 and 12 others like this.
  11. sup3rgh0st

sup3rgh0st Top Tier Ghost

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    This is an outrage, Game Freak should just create 800+ unique sets of animations for every single Pokemon. As fans, we are entitled to a series of games that grows in size and scope after every single release. All they need to do is copy-paste the models over, it's really easy, trust me. /s

Gimzie, ken28, Lumian and 12 others like this.
  12. KirovAir

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Dec 7, 2006
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    It's kinda to be expected with so many pokemon. It's basically a cost/returns calculation. They will probably release the remaining models later on. I can't blame them for this.

Last edited by KirovAir, Jun 13, 2019
    Gimzie, ken28, Lumian and 4 others like this.
  13. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    The thing is: they have the models and the animations. This is not an excuse.
    Stop defending an incomplete game.

14. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Personally I’ve always thought Pokemon needed a heavy overhaul so this seems to be in line with my vision.

Upsetting your players isn’t a consequence that should be taken lightly though.

JustANoob;) likes this.
  15. Xzi

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    They already created the animations, the problem is that they want all the animations to be different in Dynamax form.

16. Daisy
    OP

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    They're all already modelled and rigged, as well as animated, bar the new Pokémon. That, and Pokémon is one of the biggest media franchises of all time, they can damn well afford it.

Pluupy, grey72, DarthDub and 7 others like this.
  17. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    Yeah, and if it's as DLC, I think it should be free, like if it was an optional update.

18. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I'm not going to buy this game.

19. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Is it really insane to expect them to put in the works for a franchise that generated over 90 billion dollars in it's time?

Not that this one will sell very well, it's going to lose a huge chunk of it's core buying base (nostalgia nerds and online players) This move will cost them so much more than paying a dozen animators for a few months ever could.

Monti64, Pluupy, grey72 and 9 others like this.