Not every Pokémon will be available in Pokémon Sword and Shield

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Daisy, Jun 13, 2019.

1. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Let's go was an obviously rushed game. I don't think this says much about SS. I am withholding judgement until we see just what they've done.

2. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's the exact same model, though, it's just different shaders applied to gen8.

3. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    completely understandable. there are too many pokemon to make the transition in such a short time period to a completely new architecture and platform.

4. Zeldaplayer67

Zeldaplayer67 (Secretly a Yo-Kai)

Apr 1, 2018
    United States
    The Moon
    Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee

findonovan95 and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I'm just happy to hear that they are focusing on quality over quantity, this is a good direction for the series.

Snugglevixen likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Old news is old. I've been seeing this news on Facebook for a few days now.

7. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Literally that's the defining quality of Pokemon that created fans of the series. Of course, the real solution is to acknowledge that Pokemon can "go extinct" after a while. Maybe Pokemon: Apocalypse to reboot the series? I mean, that worked for X-Men, right?

PS - Never been a Pokemon fan precisely because it was always rooted around gotta catch 'em all and the progressively expanding Pokemon base/abilities to drive more sales. It's good to see it's finally biting them in the ass. The only thing left is when they start offering Pokemon DLC.

8. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    I do get the rage, but it's ignorant.

People saying "Gotta catch 'em all"? How many did you catch INSIDE THAT GAME? The ones that spawn IN. THAT. GAME. You already caught those others - in the other games! YOU ALREADY CAUGHT THEM ALL!

The national dexes have been optional content for a while now (since I think Gen 4 postgame?). They have no actual purpose other than keeping track if you own EVERY INDIVIDUAL POKEMON.

Beyond porting over pokemon for battle from older gens... what do you need them for? To complete your National Dex? The new PokeBank or whatever the hell it's called (too lazy to look, bad nuff memory not to remember) covers that fetish.

Look, I get it, you guys are mad. But hell, I remember Gen 5 first games being THE EXACT SAME.

Also you got to remember that every Pokemon added is file size. At some point, those Switch carts can't handle all that info. They have to cut the memory cap eventually, and the easiest way to do that? Superfluous pokemon. Cuts down on that many models worth of info and allows them to make more intricate maps, character models, etc.

So as I said, what's there to be angry about? That you can't port older pokemon to the new ones? So what? You can't port your Shiny Charizard (example)? Oh no.

You can't complex your National Dex in-game? Do it in Pokemon Brothel.

You can't get laid? Do it in Pokemon Ba- ...I think I mixed these last two lines up but you get my point!

MarcusCarter likes this.
  9. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 28, 2015
    His excuse is retarded almost as bad as when they admitted they cant make games anymore and ha ded matroid 3 to a different studio.

Then here commenses pokemon as fucking dlc.

Nevermind if it can be transferred its still within the game and like every other cash cow pokemon game, you only need the one version and experience how to hack it, and youll have every single pokemon at your disposal.

DarthDub and Subtle Demise like this.
  10. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    if they use a standard format for the models, and keep the files for the animations which they proven they have since they've reused them dozens of times since x/y, then yes, yes it is that easy. models and animations aren't platform specific

11. sks316

sks316 Meloetta, the Melody Pokémon!

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Unova
    Correction: It is THE biggest and highest-grossing media franchise of all time, at least according to Wikipedia.

I said it in the other thread, I'll say it again: There is no goddamn excuse for this.

Last edited by sks316, Jun 13, 2019
  12. graeme122

graeme122 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    United kingdom
    Is it just pokemon models that are reused, Or is all games since XY made at super high quality buildings and all and then scaled down to the 3DS. So could Sword shield be scaled down to 3DS also.

13. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    The models? Yes. Animations and special effects? Probably still incomplete.

14. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Your entire post is pure ignorance... It's not about just catching them all or "Oh no my shiny". People want to be able to experience the entirety of the Pokemon universe. There are a lot of people who have transferred their Pokemon from gen 3 all the way up to Sun and Moon. You can't expect people to just accept a huge feature to be cut and nothing is used to compensate (Gen 3 had Leaf Green and Fire Red). Competitively, this changes a large portion of the meta-game and it will make a lot of Pokemon redundant or just plain unusable. And your argument about file sizes is flawed because these are the exact same Pokemon models from prior games just using different shaders. Also, have you even bothered to look at the "High quality animations" that Masuda is so proud of?.... They're absolute shit

Last edited by gman666, Jun 13, 2019
  15. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    We have a Hashtag going on Twitter right now so voice your displeasure there
    #BringBackNationalDex

DarthDub, Subtle Demise and Lacius like this.
  16. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    You couldn't experience the entire pokemon universe IN ANY POKEMON GAME THUS FAR. That argument is so easy to poke holes in. You can't go to Kanjo Sectors in Gen 3+ games sans FR/LG and LGTH P+E, for example. And transferring pokemon was somehow not a huge deal with LGP+E, which is still extremely popular (although not AS popular).

Each one has been limited to, bar transfers, the pokemon IN THEIR OWN GAME. They've been limited to the REGIONS in their own game. You can still transfer your old pokemon - if they exist INSIDE THAT REGION in Sw&Sh's case. This implies that they more or less will establish a lore-based reasoning (I hope).

To complain about the Pokemon, but not complaining about being unable to visit old regions, etc, is a form of subtle hypocrisy which doesn't even come up considering Gen 2 and HG/SS have proven that they can include multiple regions in one game, and yet nobody has complained about them removing THAT feature, subtle as it is. Nobody complaining about them removing Mega Evolutions AND Z-moves (they said flat out Megamax is replacing M.Evos and Z-Moves, the former being a feature for 2 gens). No, it's for some reason the Pokemon themselves? I don't buy it. It's selective rage over a complete unknown on WHAT pokemon aren't coming, and I wouldn't be shocked if the pokemon not coming are ones you don't care much, if at all, about.

You have your reasons, but in the end, all I see is deflection. You claim I'm ignorant? You are ignorant how many Pokemon AREN'T coming, WHICH aren't coming, and you're raising a hella stink.

17. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Looks like another generation I'm skipping then. Wasn't THAT excited for it already though.

18. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    Let's go was not a main line Pokemon game and including other regions has been a feature that people have been asking about FOR YEARS. And people have asked about refining Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves since they've been released (Yet Game Freak continues to deny fans). Everything that you just posted only adds to the fact that people have a legit reason to be pissed about the continuously disappointing performance from Game Freak. I didn't mention any of those other facts because that is not what this discussion was about.

19. TangentingTangerines

TangentingTangerines Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2015
    United States

Pokemon Lets Go: Only has 151 Pokemon, still has worse animations than Pokemon Stadium from 2 decades ago.
    Pokemon Sword and Shield: "We needed to remove Pokemon in order to have better animations."
    Bullshit. Animations still look just as bad as Lets Go from the footage I've seen. Every Pokemon already has standardized animations, one for idle, one for special attack, one for physical attacks, one for appearing from Pokeball, just like in Lets Go, just like in Sun and Moon, just like in ORAS, and just like in X&Y. I wasn't complaining about it up until Lets Go because of just how many Pokemon and how many moves they'd need to animate, but either give us good animation and a limited Pokemon roster, or give us shit animation and the full roster like you've been doing up until Let's Go.

20. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    It's amazing given the popularity and hysteria that the production values are always so low.

AaronUzumaki likes this.