Hacking Noob Questions regarding System Software, exfat support, NAND backup, etc.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several questions here... any help is greatly appreciated, even just a point in the right direction for research. (As of now I have had little time to investigate on these matters.)

Info: My Switch is on 3.0.0. I have used my SX Pro once, to confirm functionality and then did a Reinitialization of my Switch to get the game backup I tested off the home screen. Does that game's license information persist somewhere in the Switch's memory, and if so can I get rid of those records?

1. I have several goals:
a. I want to get exfat working on my 128GB SD card, and I'd prefer to do it in the way that will work on any firmware, though I'm aware there is a way to do it for the firmware that you are on but that it won't work any longer if you update or that updating could brick your console.
b. I would like to be able to use Homebrew such as emulators.
c. I want to be able to play any game that I own without worrying about updating the firmware.
(d. I don't care about online play and I won't be using a Nintendo account with any important puchases.)

2. Questions:
a. Is there a good tutorial for backing up NAND for a 3.0.0 console, or can I just follow the Skullator or sthetix YouTube videos? Those seem geared towards 4.0.1 and 5.1.0, but my confusion might be that certain versions of hekate seem to work for those two firmwares, but I have read that the most recent hekate works for any FW.
b. From what I have read, Atmosphere will include a cold boot option for 3.0.0-4.1.0, so it is best not to update...?
c. I'm fairly confident that Homebrew like emulators will be updated to work on current firmwares, so I'm not too concerned about that, though initially it was only a 3.0.0 affair, right?
d. Do I need to wipe some logs on the Switch after using the SX Pro once and reinitializing my Switch? I'm just seeing if I need to take precautions before creating my sysNAND so that it will be as clean as I can make it.
e. I read that there is a way to update or downgrade to any Switch FW without bricking, though it may be a really long process, and also that Atmosphere may have a simpler way to switch between different firmwares. Would this make it possible to update to 5.1.0 and get exfat working and play any games while retaining coldboot, and possibly downgrade back to 3.0.0 if there is a reason to do so?
f. Can I play games on a higher firmware than the one I'm on without updating? (Silly question, but doesn't hurt to ask.)

Many thanks for any help!!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had made a NAND backup prior to loading SX OS, you could have used that to get rid of that but now its too late. There are no tools that can eliminate whatever traces of using SX OS and people have been banned for using SX OS purely offline.

2a. To backup your NAND, you can utilize this version of Hekate (Hekate is supported on all firmwares): https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/ This one just came out so guides are not up-to-date yet. However the aforementioned link does not teach you how to enter RCM and send payloads. This one will: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/ In short, you will need something to short pin 10 (farthest away from the screen) on the right side of your Switch Rail (where the Joy-Cons connect to). Once it is shorted, you press vol + and power and the Switch should boot into RCM. You will know because there is no Nintendo Logo (make sure you actually pressed power!). Then you need a USB cable and something to send payloads with, depending on your preferred device. TegraRCMSmash is preferred for Windows devices, NXLoader for Android devices, and many more.
2b. Do not confuse coldboot with warmboot. We already have a coldboot method which is what I detailed earlier. The warmboot is known as Deja Vu, works up to 4.1, and involves loading a webpage. For future reference, coldboot refers to exploits that are used before the Switch is turned on while warmboot refers to exploits used after the Switch is already on. For reference, this is what it looks like.
2c. Initially, most homebrew were designed on 3.0 due to PegaSwitch being the only exploit to load hacks previously. Now since homebrew can be loaded on all firmware, its a bit of a tricky situation. In short, it depends on the homebrew and the developer. While they are aiming to make it work on the latest firmware, not all homebrew are being actively updated or are inconsistent in which firmwares they work. Since there is no longer a golden firmware, all firmwares have their ups and downs when it comes to homebrew functionality. While the latest is the easiest to make all homebrew work on, Nintendo can keep updating their system firmware leading to a never-ending struggle between developers and Nintendo.
2d. I've already touched upon this in my preface.
2e. While there is a way to do this, its not considered true downgrading. Instead we preserve the fuses burnt and update without burning fuses. Then when we want to return to a specific firmware, we restore your NAND dump of the firmware that matches the current number of fuses burnt. This means that if you update to 5.1 and get the exFAT update, it will be lost when you restore your NAND dump. This is the guide you are referring to:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
However, all is not lost as there are ways of getting the exFAT update offline. The following are 2 different guides you can use to get the update:
  1. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/
  2. https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/
2f. We have no way of spoofing the firmware currently so all games that need a higher firmware to be played must involve updating your console. However I have already linked you to a tutorial that can allow you to update whilst retaining the ability of returning to your original firmware.

Reactions: REDNikolai

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for your time, help and expertise! As I see it, I have two (or so) options:

1. Full NAND backup, then update using Rajkosto's non-fuse-burning update method, then exfat support using the offline method, then wait and see how Atmosphere works for 5.1.0 and 3.0.0 and downgrade if there is any good reason to do so.
2. Update to 5.1.0 the retail way and get the exfat support the retail way, then NAND backup, then wait and see how Atmosphere will work for higher firmware.
(3. Add exfat functionality using the offline method, wait and play around with Homebrew on 3.0.0 and only play games that are on 3.0.0 or lower.)

(Preamble: I still wonder if there will be a way to 'clean the slate' in terms of SX OS and the one game backup I tested once the SX OS has been fully cracked.)
To find the best option (am I leaving out a better alternate option?), I need to answer:
Is there a good reason to stay on lower FW, in this case 3.0.0? Perhaps much easier functionality in Atmosphere when it reaches a full release state? I've had a hard time figuring out if there really is a good reason to stay low except certain things I've read from MScires or Kate Tempkin saying it'll be good for Atmosphere...

Thanks again!

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If there is any way to remove any console-identifiable information (ie certs etc) then I have a rawnand from a Never turned on, complete virgin switch on 3.0.2. Just taken out the box - never even done initial setup. I`d like to upload it. Just a bit concerned about certs etc...

Though the All Rights Reserved police might have something to say about it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for your time, help and expertise! As I see it, I have two (or so) options:

1. Full NAND backup, then update using Rajkosto's non-fuse-burning update method, then exfat support using the offline method, then wait and see how Atmosphere works for 5.1.0 and 3.0.0 and downgrade if there is any good reason to do so.
2. Update to 5.1.0 the retail way and get the exfat support the retail way, then NAND backup, then wait and see how Atmosphere will work for higher firmware.
(3. Add exfat functionality using the offline method, wait and play around with Homebrew on 3.0.0 and only play games that are on 3.0.0 or lower.)

(Preamble: I still wonder if there will be a way to 'clean the slate' in terms of SX OS and the one game backup I tested once the SX OS has been fully cracked.)
To find the best option (am I leaving out a better alternate option?), I need to answer:
Is there a good reason to stay on lower FW, in this case 3.0.0? Perhaps much easier functionality in Atmosphere when it reaches a full release state? I've had a hard time figuring out if there really is a good reason to stay low except certain things I've read from MScires or Kate Tempkin saying it'll be good for Atmosphere...

Thanks again!
The only reason to stay on lower firmwares is if you don't want to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks or if you don't want to keep the console on/in sleep mode forever. There are unreleased softmods that work up to 4.1 that will be released sometime after Atmosphere is completed and will involve loading a webpage. If you are fine with using a jig and USB cable, then you can update. But since we have a way to update without burning fuses, people can return to their original firmware at any point. One thing to note is that if you update past firmware 4.0, you will no longer be able to use cartridges on lower firmwares due to a patch being applied and is irreversible so far.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I read that if I don't load via hekate, I'll lose the advantages of using Rajkosto's update method, since the fuses will burn. So you can't really use SX Pro after updating that way, right?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I read that if I don't load via hekate, I'll lose the advantages of using Rajkosto's update method, since the fuses will burn. So you can't really use SX Pro after updating that way, right?
If you substitute Hekate with SX OS V1.2+ and do not update the official way, it will work the same way. SX OS V1.1 and below did not bypass the fuse check (although V1.1 did prevent fuses from being burnt). Following the tutorial until the end will leave the device in AutoRCM which is perfect for the SX Pro.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using Rajkosto's update method to get to 5.1.0, can I get the exfat update from Nintendo, or will that burn fuses?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

...and again, thanks so much!!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using Rajkosto's update method to get to 5.1.0, can I get the exfat update from Nintendo, or will that burn fuses?
The exFAT update only requires your Switch to be on the latest firmware. Once you insert an exFAT formatted SD card, it will install the update without rebooting the system. However, if you restore your NAND backup, it will not have the exFAT update anymore.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you go on Nintendo's eshop with AutoRCM on (5.1.0 FW), or is there another way to get game demos on your system?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you go on Nintendo's eshop with AutoRCM on (5.1.0 FW), or is there another way to get game demos on your system?
You can only download and use demos on the latest firmware. And while you can access the eShop with AutoRCM installed, it presents a potential ban risk. So far, nobody has been banned for having AutoRCM installed only, but there is always a risk theoretically. Everyone who followed that guide should be made aware of that risk if not already.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can only download and use demos on the latest firmware. And while you can access the eShop with AutoRCM installed, it presents a potential ban risk. So far, nobody has been banned for having AutoRCM installed only, but there is always a risk theoretically. Everyone who followed that guide should be made aware of that risk if not already.

Thanks!

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my current plan is: (either wait for Atmosphere and see what it has to offer or...)

1. Backup 3.0.0 NAND for safety
2. Rajkosto update up to 4.1.0
3. Backup NAND for possible downgrade if lower FW offers something extra in Atmosphere (plus cartridge slot still works)
4. Rajkosto update to 5.1.0
5. Backup NAND for safety
6. Get demos from eshop (if possible, other method if not)
7. Get exfat support using the official method if possible, offline method otherwise

Any holes in this plan that you see?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my current plan is: (either wait for Atmosphere and see what it has to offer or...)

1. Backup 3.0.0 NAND for safety
2. Rajkosto update up to 4.1.0
3. Backup NAND for possible downgrade if lower FW offers something extra in Atmosphere (plus cartridge slot still works)
4. Rajkosto update to 5.1.0
5. Backup NAND for safety
6. Get demos from eshop (if possible, other method if not)
7. Get exfat support using the official method if possible, offline method otherwise

Any holes in this plan that you see?
I don't see any reason to do the 4.1.0 update part. By following Rajkosto's guide to update from 3.0.0 to 5.1.0, you are keeping your three burnt efuses, making it so you can downgrade to 3.0.0 and higher if you later choose to do so.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any reason to do the 4.1.0 update part. By following Rajkosto's guide to update from 3.0.0 to 5.1.0, you are keeping your three burnt efuses, making it so you can downgrade to 3.0.0 and higher if you later choose to do so.

I just thought that would save the extra step of updating to 4.1.0 later if I wanted to downgrade back to 3.0.0, and at 4.1.0 I would still have cartridge functionality. Does that make sense or do you still thinks it's pointless extra work? Thanks for your input!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought that would save the extra step of updating to 4.1.0 later if I wanted to downgrade back to 3.0.0, and at 4.1.0 I would still have cartridge functionality. Does that make sense or do you still thinks it's pointless extra work? Thanks for your input!
Updating to 4.1.0 instead of updating directly to 5.1.0 won't save you any steps if you decide later to downgrade to 3.0.0.
As for cartridge functionality, you will have that on 4.0.0-5.1.0 after following the guide to update to 5.1.0, regardless of whether or not you install 4.1.0 first.

Updating to 4.1.0 first is definitely pointless.

REDNikolai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating to 4.1.0 instead of updating directly to 5.1.0 won't save you any steps if you decide later to downgrade to 3.0.0.
As for cartridge functionality, you will have that on 4.0.0-5.1.0 after following the guide to update to 5.1.0, regardless of whether or not you install 4.1.0 first.

Updating to 4.1.0 first is definitely pointless.

I was thinking it would give me the option to downgrade to 4.1.0 directly instead of going back to 3.0.0 and then updating to 4.1.0.

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
For 4.1 fw do you need definetely need wifi to launch Deja Vu? What exactly does it do and what about if you have no wifi on the go? I could not understand what is going on in that video above

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1