Noob Question don't know where to start.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by thingi, Dec 2, 2014.

1. thingi
    OP

thingi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    First hello all, need some advice as to how to best play all the nintendo games I’ve got.

Hardware:- PAL N64 (in my cellar along with the games).
    Jap/US switchable Spice Orange Gamecube (component out, in my cellar.
    PAL Wii with homebrew / region changer installed (component out).
    Adaptoid N64 Controller to USB Adapter
    Yellow N64 Controller with rumble pack
    x2 Spice Orange Gamecube Controllers
    Wiimote Motion Plus’s + Nunchucks + Classic Controller.
    Mac Mini (intel integrated gfx so not great) running Dolphin for Gamecube and Mupen64Plus for N64.
    Wjoy on my mac so I can use the N64 controller or wiimote & nunchuck/classic controller.

I’ve finally bought a PAL 8Gb Wii U + (256Gb usb ssd) and a Pro Controller and will happily spring for a Smash Bros gamecube adaptor but what do I need to do to play all my legally owned old games via just my Wii U if possible?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Ok, I'd homebrew-enable the Wii U using an exploit if you havent already. Next, I'd get a program called "Wii64" (this is a N64 emulator). This is the ONLY case that I would advise getting roms online, as not many people own a cartridge ripper (but, on the incredibly low chance you do, use that to rip your collection. Otherwise go to a site such as EmuParadise to get roms). For GameCube, there is a program called Nintendont (the thread is stickied, so I suggest reading up on it). Now, it is actually quite simple to rip GameCube games. I suggest using a program called "CleanRip" on your Wii to make a rip of the games onto either a HDD, flash drive, or SD card. Nintendont is also recently compatible with the GameCube adapter, but I don't believe that very many other apps will be for a little while yet. Also, if you have a drive connected to a Wii U that isn't formatted to a Wii U (drives should be formatted to Fat32) then the Wii U will complain with prompt boxes. I suggest looking up a program called "UStealth" for that (you do not need a Windows computer if you use the hide/unhide tool that comes with it for the vWii). Also, you may want to get either USBLoader GX or WiiFlow, this will organize all your games into a nice GUI (well, not N64 for USBLoader GX, but it's still a very capable app for Wii/GC).

As that is a very long post, this is the list of programs I recommend, consolidated
    -Wii64
    -Nintendont
    -CleanRip (for your Wii to rip 'Cube games)
    -UStealth
    -POTENTIALLY USBLoader GX/WiiFlow

EDIT: (Dont know how I forgot this) get the Homebrew Browser, It will make it easier to find apps later down the road without having to keep plugging drives into your computer

3. thingi
    OP

thingi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014

Awesome reply and even better summary. I now know what to look for, your post makes a lot of sense. I'll think I'll need to use two separate usb ssd's, one normal Wii U storage (only got an 8gb console) and another for ripped discs and the two front usb's for the cube adapter.

Luckily I've already got most of the roms/iso's in my physical pre-Wii library already downloaded, but have a lot of Wii disc ripping to do at some point (slow net connection) but I'll probably still use Dolphin for some cube titles because they look so much better, but well happy it's possible on just a Wii U - thank you!!!!!!

thingi

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No problem! Just glad to know that mess of a post helped :rofl: Anyway, happy 'brewing!

Ah! One thing I forgot to mention! While USBLoader GX and WiiFlow support UStealth, Nintendont does not, even when loading through them. However, the mastermods by AbdallahTerro do, so I suggest looking into those as well

5. jazzeux

jazzeux Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2014
    Canada
    Is there any kind of safety measure in Homebrew Browser for the vWii? I installed usbloader gx and HBC, but I wonder if I will install HomeBrew Browser to install the rest of the apps. I want to install Wii64, wiiflow and nintendont. If possible, I want them as a channel, but I'm not sure where to find the right version. I don't want to brick my WiiU (nor vWii) with an incompatible wad.

6. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Nope, not at all.