Noob question about first PS3 with PS2 chip and rebug

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TheProxyOne, Aug 26, 2018.

1. TheProxyOne
    OP

TheProxyOne Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hello there here is my question:

I might soon have PS3, version CECHAxx with PS2 hardware emulation chip. I plan to install Rebug on it. What I don't know is, if I play iso of PS2 game through rebug, will it use PS2 hardware to play iso, or just software emulation?

Sorry for my English :)

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    "Rebug" itself is not an iso loader (though it includes Cobra, which is off by default, that is); and Cobra (which is in turn typically controlled by a "*man" homebrew like Webman) supports both hardware PS2 mode (by default) and 100% software emulation :)

So, unless you manually request otherwise, PS2 mode will use hardware if available

3. TheProxyOne
    OP

TheProxyOne Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2016
    Netherlands
    Thanks, and what about PS2 classics format?

4. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    I thought the default was software mode. I'm sure I had to do something to make it use hardware mode.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    At least for rebug + webman and ferrox cobra + webman combos, the default is definitely hardware
    (the newest versions of said two cfws add a temperature display when pressing home in the software-only emulator, so it's also easy to double check what's in fact used)

6. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    The next time I have a BC console out I'll try it, my normal test is inserting a PS2 burnout game that doesn't work on the software emulator.