Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

oMETCALFEo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using wii firmware 3.4E have no clue what ios I have installed (way to many to keep track) I've installed cIOSCORP. My main, very annoying, problem is that Donkey Kong Country Returns, does not work. and it p**ses me the f**k off. I have tried for DAYS to get this working, ANYTHING will help me, even a back up of your wii that I can put on my wii using bootmii. I'm desperate to play this. Help, HELP, HELP!!

Thanks
smile.gif

noobconfused

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there I bought a wii on ebay the mod wasn't mentioned now that I have it though its awesome the kids don't destroy the discs like they did on our PlayStation. Now I have the problem of it not playing the newer games though that my kids want to play, New Super Mario, Sports Resort, Just Dance 2 etc. I know they are getting at least one of these games for Christmas from relatives cause its cheaper for them to buy us one family gift then a gift for each of 7 kids lol.

I have read the soft mod guide but I don't know where I should start, I'm terrified of bricking it the kids will have my hide! I am somewhat able to do things technical although my first computer video card install I over thought it and ended up at the computer shop. I now know how to build my computer from parts, so I learn from my mistakes. I just don't want to learn with the wii I want it to just be fixed. Please can someone tell me what steps I need exactly?

Wii specs:
Use an external HD to load games in conjunction with a SD card
Homebrew channel- 1.0.3 lOS51 v18.25
Wii Backup Launcher
USB loader

Thank you in advance for your time

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobconfused said:
Hi there I bought a wii on ebay the mod wasn't mentioned now that I have it though its awesome the kids don't destroy the discs like they did on our PlayStation. Now I have the problem of it not playing the newer games though that my kids want to play, New Super Mario, Sports Resort, Just Dance 2 etc.
I know they are getting at least one of these games for Christmas from relatives cause its cheaper for them to buy us one family gift then a gift for each of 7 kids lol.

I have read the soft mod guide but I don't know where I should start, I'm terrified of bricking it the kids will have my hide! I am somewhat able to do things technical although my first computer video card install I over thought it and ended up at the computer shop. I now know how to build my computer from parts, so I learn from my mistakes. I just don't want to learn with the wii I want it to just be fixed. Please can someone tell me what steps I need exactly?

Wii specs:
Use an external HD to load games in conjunction with a SD card
Homebrew channel- 1.0.3 lOS51 v18.25
Wii Backup Launcher
USB loader

Thank you in advance for your time
Just use ModMii, it's stickied at the top of the wii hacking section, and it is a program that will download all the files you need, and then walk you through the process of installing them on your wii. The only problem is, IIRC, it only runs on windows, so if you have a Mac or Linux, you won't be able to use it.

If you want to use the stickied modify any wii guide instead, just start from the beginning, all your outdated mods will be overwritten with the new ones.

noobconfused

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I do that will whats on the external HD be safe? Also will it come with the game covers? My 6 yr old can't read yet so the pictures are helpful. Some of them have the ?

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use cfg-loader to load the games off of your external HD. You can go into the options and download the covers over wifi.

Download the cfg-loader forwarder channel to put on your wii system menu to make it easy to access.

EDIT: If you dont have wifi on your wii go to http://wiitdb.com/ and download them manually and put them on your sd card.

noobconfused

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I went to that wiitbd and dled the file then I put it on the SD card in the Config file but I wasn't sure if I should unzip or not so I put one zipped and one unzipped file in there. There was no improvement on the number of ?

I never did the wifi for it cause I thought they might brick the wii somehow. I have wifi available is this a step I should take?

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobconfused said:
Ok I went to that wiitbd and dled the file then I put it on the SD card in the Config file but I wasn't sure if I should unzip or not so I put one zipped and one unzipped file in there. There was no improvement on the number of ?

I never did the wifi for it cause I thought they might brick the wii somehow. I have wifi available is this a step I should take?
OK, dont worry about bricking, really, there is hardly anything that you can possibly do that will brick your wii, aside from installing wads, messing around with IOS's (which are completely different then ISO's) and installing wii menu themes.

But if you have installed bootmii as boot2 (check if you can by running the latest Hackmii installer), then your wii is as brick-proof as possible. And priiloader can also get you out of most bricks. So if you dont have either, I would suggest getting them.

Anyway, back to your question, there is no possible way that downloading covers to your USB (or SD) with your wii could possibly result in a brick.

OminousFool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, first time user here. I wanted to ask a quick question, any help is appreciated. I installed a Wii with version 4.2U a while ago, I didn't plan on playing japanese Wii games earlier but now I want to fix the Wii to play them. From what I remember, I followed a guide mentioning that I had to downgrade the Wii to 4.1U to make the japanese games work, I didn't do that. So my question is, I saw the ModMii and I'm wondering if it could fix up the Wii to play them again. Thanks.

mcfly1968

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm new here. Just a quick question, most probrably been answered before but cannot find it after searching for 30 minutes. Is there anyway to save whilst playing a gamecube backup on the wii without having a gamecube memory card? Thanks in advance.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
mcfly1968 said:
Hi, I'm new here. Just a quick question, most probrably been answered before but cannot find it after searching for 30 minutes. Is there anyway to save whilst playing a gamecube backup on the wii without having a gamecube memory card? Thanks in advance.
no, you need a GC memory card because when playing GC games the new hardware on the wii that didnt exist in GC is turned off

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OminousFool said:
Hey, first time user here. I wanted to ask a quick question, any help is appreciated. I installed a Wii with version 4.2U a while ago, I didn't plan on playing japanese Wii games earlier but now I want to fix the Wii to play them. From what I remember, I followed a guide mentioning that I had to downgrade the Wii to 4.1U to make the japanese games work, I didn't do that. So my question is, I saw the ModMii and I'm wondering if it could fix up the Wii to play them again. Thanks.
If your using backups then their regeon shouldn't matter, however if you want to play legit games from other regions then you should get priiloader and enable the region free hack, or, if I remember correctly, you could load the games through gecko OS

noobconfused said:
QUOTE(Riley @ Dec 16 2010, 08:09 PM) Use cfg-loader to load the games off of your external HD.

I don't see where this helps me get stuff off the HD, the way I read it all its talking about is uploading?
Could you explain a little more. What do you mean by "get stuff off the hardrive"

OminousFool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, person66. Got everything on the Wii working as it should. I ran into another problem(s) though. There were two problems, the first problem is, how do I run the HBC and play games using the USB loader with an SDHC card (I don't have a SD card big enough to fit the game and data), is this even possible? (I tried WBFS it wont accept the USB loader data and FAT32 doesn't fit the 4 GB game). Also, I formatted the same SDHC card through the computer with NTFS, I immediately put a 4 GB game inside, when I inserted it into the Wii it did not take it. I decided to go back into the computer and format it back to FAT32. I tried to do this multiple times but now the computer won't recognize the SDHC card and a lot of times it'll respond by saying its write protected (it's not locked and I know it's working correct because if I use another computer it will work). If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.

jtime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have 4.3e, i installed HBC with indiana exploit but not bootmii
can i now install bootmii through HBC
also i want to use modmii - i went thru the wizard and said no my wii is not a virgin
is modmii going to reinstall the HBC?
is modmii going to reinstall the System menu?
am i gonig to lose any saved data eg. mii characters
also is any external hard drive better than others for using to play backed up games?

noobconfused

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an external HD with games already on it. The loader was recommended to get the games off the HD I thought? I paid $600 for all these games because I thought I was getting a Wii with 100 games...real games not some digital copy, so I really dont want to lose them when I update the wii from the modmii.

person66

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OminousFool said:
Thanks, person66. Got everything on the Wii working as it should. I ran into another problem(s) though. There were two problems, the first problem is, how do I run the HBC and play games using the USB loader with an SDHC card (I don't have a SD card big enough to fit the game and data), is this even possible? (I tried WBFS it wont accept the USB loader data and FAT32 doesn't fit the 4 GB game). Also, I formatted the same SDHC card through the computer with NTFS, I immediately put a 4 GB game inside, when I inserted it into the Wii it did not take it. I decided to go back into the computer and format it back to FAT32. I tried to do this multiple times but now the computer won't recognize the SDHC card and a lot of times it'll respond by saying its write protected (it's not locked and I know it's working correct because if I use another computer it will work). If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.
Well you could try using any one of the backup manger tools to convert your .iso file to .wbfs which should trim the size quite a bit. Then put that .wbfs file in a folder named "wbfs" on the root of your sd card and make sure the .wbfs file is named using the six character game id. Now see if it loads.

jtime said:
i have 4.3e, i installed HBC with indiana exploit but not bootmii
can i now install bootmii through HBC
also i want to use modmii - i went thru the wizard and said no my wii is not a virgin
is modmii going to reinstall the HBC?
is modmii going to reinstall the System menu?
am i gonig to lose any saved data eg. mii characters
also is any external hard drive better than others for using to play backed up games?
Yes, you can install bootmii with the homebrew channel, just run the hackmii installer dol.
Dependin on the options you picked in Modmii it may or may not reinstall the homebrew channel, and seeing as your already on 4.3, it won't reinstall the system menu. No, you won't lose save data. And I guess some hard drives may be a little better, but any hard drive that the wii recognizes is fine for playing backups from.

QUOTE(noobconfused @ Dec 18 2010, 09:09 AM)
I have an external HD with games already on it. The loader was recommended to get the games off the HD I thought? I paid $600 for all these games because I thought I was getting a Wii with 100 games...real games not some digital copy, so I really dont want to lose them when I update the wii from the modmii.
Well Modmii isn't going to delete stuff from your USB hardrive, and updating the wii won't delete stuff from the hard drive either. All USB loaders do is let you play games that are already on the hard drive, they don't take games off the had drive. So they won't remove anything from it either.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
noobconfused said:
Use this to extract your Games as ISO and burn them to DVD-R http://filetrip.net/f23160-Wii-Backup-Mana...6-build-48.html

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can soft modding a wii cause it to shutdown automatically ever 10-15mins? I had helped a friend & now he reports that his wii is turning off every "x" mins as stated. Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition v14.5 was used to update all his IOS, ModMii was used to update his channels and to grab the SM4.3u.WAD for installation. That's basicly all that was done considering he had already had it done. So i guess my question will also include does updating a premodded wii, will this cause your console to shut off periodically?

I have asked him to put his hand behind the console to see if it is hot, he has yet to respond. He has also already contacted Ninty about this and the 1st thing they asked him if it was mod'd which he replied no obiviously LoL. Which is why i ask this question cause it never occured to me that a soft-mod would do this. Im unsure and just need a little insight cause he is not the brighest tool in the shed. An example would be he has a windows 7 installation disc and he had to call me up to figure out how to reinstall windows....
frown.gif
So befor he does something stupid i would like to know what i may possibly do cause i gave him the option to let me try my power supply thinking that his may be damaged in some way or another. Thanks in advance.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he is using one of those Western Digitial MyBooks 500gb exter hdd with it's own powersupply. so the usb drive is most likely the issue then. I also want to make it clear that a softmod would have nothing to do with this, am i correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: wrong stick la