Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

smarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Followed the simplistic mod guide and my jap wii is running 4.1J with the custom ios etc

Installed some wiiware games today but found out that the menus for are all in japanese :/ Is there a way to force the menus to english without changing my region settings?

My wii is also chipped and i'm not even sure what type it is... so i don't want to risk region changing until i figure it out.

Black_Knight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still need help with my issue.

Black_Knight said:
Okay, let's give this shot. Need to install the correct IOS to update my Homebrew to 1.0.6

Information on my case.
  • Currently updated to 4.2 through 'approved' means.
  • Had to change my IOS to IOS61 v19.26, (I used IOS61-6-v4890.wad) through WAD Manager v1.5 on Homebrew, because my HB menu was upside down.
  • Now when I try to update, the HackMii Installer v0.6 says 'There is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii'
Doing some quick research, should I just use IOS36 and install it as a wad to make an acceptable IOS for Hackmii and not have my Homebrew Menu revert to being upside down?

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMaster121 said:
i'm currently on 4.1e, but everytime i go to wad manager and select ios249 as the ios the remote dies and the same thing happens if i attempt to install cios 3.4 and my usb loader no longer loads up.

anyone? tia

killmoves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
erikk1 said:
If you try to load the system menu through preloader but it gives you the corrupted file message
Thanks erikk1, that's exactly what is happening.

QUOTE(erikk1 @ Oct 12 2009, 09:48 PM) you probably have to es_identify patch your system menu ios. Dop IOS can do that.
My system menu is v385.
I'm sorry, but i don't know what is "Dop IOS", can you explain it, please?

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
v385 is 3.4 it seems. I don't know which ios 3.4 uses, but you should be able to find that with google or something
wink.gif

Dop IOS is an application you can run from homebrew to redownload a IOS and apply the needed patches to the ios. You will have to google/search on these forums to find more info. Or hope someone else is gonna spoon feed it to you
wink.gif

killmoves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
bow.gif
erikk1 said:
v385 is 3.4 it seems. I don't know which ios 3.4 uses, but you should be able to find that with google or something
wink.gif

Dop IOS is an application you can run from homebrew to redownload a IOS and apply the needed patches to the ios. You will have to google/search on these forums to find more info. Or hope someone else is gonna spoon feed it to you
wink.gif
Thanks man, that was the quickest answer ever.
bow.gif

For now i think thats enough.

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
erikk1 said:
You can run the cios38rev14 installer from HBC and it does not require 249 to be installed. That wouldn't make sense, cause it's used to install 249.

You need a fakehash signed (trucha)/es_identity ios36 for it. It runs of that I guess.

Basically, it's steps 1-3 from the 4.2-guide in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=17190

I tried that using trucha bug restorer but when i try to downgrade ios15 which is the first step, it comes back with an (-1035) error.

Bravostar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello from a wii noob. I've had the console for a week now and thanks to a great guide from this forum I was able to install HBC and am currently using NeoGamma 7 for starting up backup discs (burnt ISOs).

Without fully understanding what I'm doing, I also installed PreLoader and now when I turn on my wii, I get the PreLoader screen. I try to launch HBC from it and get a message:

Error autobooting HBC, maybe title not installed? (what I also see on the screen is IOS v30, Systemmenu v354 and Preloader v0.29)

I dont know should I worry about this because when I select Systemmenu and activate it, wii menu loads normally, I go to HBC and start a game with NeoGamma.

1. So my first question is - should I just ignore this or is sth wrong with my preloader that I should try to fix?

2. A question about hacks.ini - after reading about it, it seems to me I should open this file on my PC, copy in the lines of hacks code and then save it to SD card and activate from PreLoader menu... is this correct? If so, does that mean hacks stay active at all times or do I need to load them each time I start the console?

3. I already tried playing backups of NTSC and PAL games via NeoGamma and they both work. That means I should not bother with a "region free" hack, right?

4. If I use hack for skipping disc check, that means that if I get a game that would normally try to update firmware, it won't be able to do so so I'm safe from game updating firmware and bricking my console, right?

5. Since those games that require firmware update don't really require firmware update but new IOSes, I can download and install those IOSes via WAD manager and those games will play normally, but because I have a hack that stops disc check, I'm safe from bricking?

6. If I'm correct in no 5. that means that it's not really necessary to ever update firmware for new games, just add new IOSes?

I appologise if some of my questions are fuzzy to understand, but my knowledge of wii and all this is fuzzy to, so bear with me.

I thank you in advance, whoever chooses to provide me with an answer to any of this
smile.gif

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DaMaster121 said:
erikk1 said:
You can run the cios38rev14 installer from HBC and it does not require 249 to be installed. That wouldn't make sense, cause it's used to install 249.

You need a fakehash signed (trucha)/es_identity ios36 for it. It runs of that I guess.

Basically, it's steps 1-3 from the 4.2-guide in http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=17190

I tried that using trucha bug restorer but when i try to downgrade ios15 which is the first step, it comes back with an (-1035) error.

Did you use TBR 1.0 or TBR 1.1

Grendel23

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to be a broken record, but it sounds like I'm not the only one with this dilemma- Is there any way to reset my Wii to the out of the box factory settings? I've on 4.1U with Preloader .29 and the latest version of the homebrew channel. I'm assuming doing the NUS 4.2 system update will brick it. Could I just do the 'Format Wii' option under settings? Any other options?

Thanks!

DaMaster121

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
erikk1 said:
If you are on 4.2, you need to use 1.1

same problem is says when downgrading ios15
"setting the revision to 0...
Error: ES_AddTitleStart returned -1035, maybe you need an updated downgrader"

btw i cannot install a patched ios36 either in TBR because it says my rev might be higher then what is been installed and the top right corner in TBR is says my ios36 is rev 65535 which seems wrong.

Mrstevo22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty well I havent picked up my wii in a good few months and i guess alot of people have upgraded from using version 3.2u and (starfall). What firmware should I upgrade to and how should I go about doing this. For some reason im having a tough time trying to find a guide for an already softmodded wii. Will I lose any feature from making the upgrade?

Thanks
- Steve

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bravostar said:
Hello from a wii noob. I've had the console for a week now and thanks to a great guide from this forum I was able to install HBC and am currently using NeoGamma 7 for starting up backup discs (burnt ISOs).

Without fully understanding what I'm doing, I also installed PreLoader and now when I turn on my wii, I get the PreLoader screen. I try to launch HBC from it and get a message:

Error autobooting HBC, maybe title not installed? (what I also see on the screen is IOS v30, Systemmenu v354 and Preloader v0.29)

I dont know should I worry about this because when I select Systemmenu and activate it, wii menu loads normally, I go to HBC and start a game with NeoGamma.

1. So my first question is - should I just ignore this or is sth wrong with my preloader that I should try to fix?

2. A question about hacks.ini - after reading about it, it seems to me I should open this file on my PC, copy in the lines of hacks code and then save it to SD card and activate from PreLoader menu... is this correct? If so, does that mean hacks stay active at all times or do I need to load them each time I start the console?

3. I already tried playing backups of NTSC and PAL games via NeoGamma and they both work. That means I should not bother with a "region free" hack, right?

4. If I use hack for skipping disc check, that means that if I get a game that would normally try to update firmware, it won't be able to do so so I'm safe from game updating firmware and bricking my console, right?

5. Since those games that require firmware update don't really require firmware update but new IOSes, I can download and install those IOSes via WAD manager and those games will play normally, but because I have a hack that stops disc check, I'm safe from bricking?

6. If I'm correct in no 5. that means that it's not really necessary to ever update firmware for new games, just add new IOSes?

I appologise if some of my questions are fuzzy to understand, but my knowledge of wii and all this is fuzzy to, so bear with me.

I thank you in advance, whoever chooses to provide me with an answer to any of this
smile.gif

1. you need to install preloader v0.29 Jodi this version will find your HBC
2.Hacks.ini belongs on the root of you SD card only no where else
3.you are correct on neogamma
4.there is a hack in preloader to block disc update so there is no need to mess with any ios or firmware update

cloud33092

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Newbie to modding the wii
I was thinking about getting a modchip for my wii.. I opened my wii to check the serial # on the IC chip but the chip didn't have a serial #.
Does this mean I can't modchip my wii and will need to do a softmod?
Wii serial # starts with LU70 and running FW 4.0u

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cloud33092 said:
Newbie to modding the wii
I was thinking about getting a modchip for my wii.. I opened my wii to check the serial # on the IC chip but the chip didn't have a serial #.
Does this mean I can't modchip my wii and will need to do a softmod?
Wii serial # starts with LU70 and running FW 4.0u

unsure.gif
But if you have a virgin 4.0u Wii it is free to softmod. why would you prefer chip over softmod?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here