Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

john.jingle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me out with the Backup Launcher? I'm using version 0.3 gamma by wiigator. I have never used it before so I have no idea what is going on. I'm attempting to run my Super Paper Mario game that I have burned at 4x speed on a DVD-R. My current wii version is 4.0 using this tutorial so I'm not sure if that'll affect the backup launcher... Anyways
When I boot it up, it says IOS249 at the bottom, which might be of some importance. There are so many options on this thing. My Super Paper Mario wii is PAL region so do I enable Force PAL50/60 or NTSC? And in addition, my attempts to run this game always ends up with DVD read error (361), anyone have an idea how to fix this error?

Ell2Cool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys im just trying to boot SSX Blur from the USB loader and its not working. at first when i used to boot it, it used to show the health screen and then the screen used to go blank and my controller lost sync and couldnt do anything and had to hold down the power button.

installed all of the cIOS from cIOScorp and now it gets to the same screen but then resets back to the system menu.

any advice?

thanks.

btw i can load other games, ive booted rayman raving rabbids tv party fine and it works but thats the only other one ive tried.

EDIT: i can also boot madworld
biggrin.gif

EDIT2: and super mario galaxy

i have also tried patching the game using the IOSpatcher to use 30, 36 and 249, none of them make the game boot.
frown.gif

pandapandapanda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I try to install some WADs with WAD Manager 1.3 I get ret=-1022, why? I'm on 4.0 with cIOS36rev9 installed. Anything in particular I should check to make sure I have running?

reissbcfc

Trophies
XP
Country
i am going to install homebrew channel and usb loader. do i need soft mii or anything for usb loader to work or do i just need cios36 rev9. also i am thinking about installing preloader but i dont know whether or not it is worth it and if i do install preloader is it easy for my child to accidently access the menu and mess around with the options and brick my wii. thanks

D

Deleted User

pangasinan said:
ether2802 said:
ALL, and yes you can just do that, but it is way way way way way way better to install preloader (on 3.2 or 4.0 only)
Thanks,i really dont want to do any more mods to my Wii and risk bricking it...so i might just use brick blocker.
Stop being paranoid. If you are, then you should stay away from backups, seriously.
So install Preloader! It's safe.

How can i tell if a game wants to or is already updating my wii ??
It'll ask to update.
Also i am using Sony discs as i read they are one of the the best to use,but before i was using some cheap LG discs(half the price of the sonys) and they seem to be working ok,but i read somewhere that the cheaper discs can ruin the laser a lot quicker,is this correct?,do you recommending that i reburn my iso files onto the sony discs to make the Wii laser last longer ?...thanks again.
What the hell's up with this laser-screwing thing? Wii's laser is going to die no matter what you do. Plus, by the time it dies, Wii 2 is released. Inb4 paranoid.

john.jingle said:
Can someone help me out with the Backup Launcher? I'm using version 0.3 gamma by wiigator. I have never used it before so I have no idea what is going on. I'm attempting to run my Super Paper Mario game that I have burned at 4x speed on a DVD-R. My current wii version is 4.0 using this tutorial so I'm not sure if that'll affect the backup launcher... Anyways
When I boot it up, it says IOS249 at the bottom, which might be of some importance. There are so many options on this thing. My Super Paper Mario wii is PAL region so do I enable Force PAL50/60 or NTSC? And in addition, my attempts to run this game always ends up with DVD read error (361), anyone have an idea how to fix this error?

What version is your Wii?

DVD Read Error, can't help you with that.

QUOTE(pandapandapanda @ Apr 8 2009, 06:51 PM) When I try to install some WADs with WAD Manager 1.3 I get ret=-1022, why? I'm on 4.0 with cIOS36rev9 installed. Anything in particular I should check to make sure I have running?

Bad WAD, I think.

QUOTE(reissbcfc @ Apr 8 2009, 08:14 PM)
i am going to install homebrew channel and usb loader. do i need soft mii or anything for usb loader to work or do i just need cios36 rev9. also i am thinking about installing preloader but i dont know whether or not it is worth it and if i do install preloader is it easy for my child to accidently access the menu and mess around with the options and brick my wii. thanks

No you don't need Softmii. You just need HBC and all the things in the USB Loader pack. Preloader is worth it. It's hard to go to the menu without proper knowledge (Being that you set up the Preloader nicely).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
thilixD said:
does the USB loader loads "wads" such as Wiiware Games or Virtual Console from a external drive?
no

QUOTE(Django0 @ Apr 8 2009, 06:30 PM) Is there any advantage/disadvantage for using a USB/Ext. HD instead of burned ISOs on DVDs?
advantages: no need to burn disc, so no bad burns and its way faster (even faster than original discs)
disadvantages: bad compatibility (ok not bad, but worse than burned ISO discs), no cheats (in the works) , not all USB devices work

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
reissbcfc said:

For the latest released Preloader version there is, if you update, your Wii will brick, but still able to recover if you have a cIOS249 installed and Wad Manager 1.3, but in the next release (Preloader v0.30) I believe this is going to be corrected...!!
smile.gif

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel said:
Django0 said:
I'll just pray that my External HD is compatible then...

You can check here if it will work or not.

Well mine is listed (yay, from the 8 tested ones mine is one of them ^^) and it says:
Not tested|Not tested|Works

So I guess it works ^^

//edit So I searched in that list for WD Element Ext. HDs and they all say "Works" so I hope that my 1TB isn't a exception.

superman101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a quiestion, how do people have that thing on their startup screen (normally the health screen), that takes them to different things??? and if i do get a brick, how do i use preloader if i have a brick???

curdstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello folks! My first post on these boards so I guess it was always going to be in the NooB section!

Having just installed the HBC by rolling back to 3.2e and installing Starfall, Back up launcher and cIOS36rev9 and with everything working fine(for the most part) I just have a few quick questions...

1) I see that there appears to be a safe way to upgrade to 4.0, but is it really worth it if like I say I have everything functioning properly? So far as I can tell it seems to be only worth it if I wanted the SD card features of 4.0 but is there a little more to it than that?

2) When playing back up games, I have noticed some FMV/cut scenes don't run entirely smoothly. Is this just a side effect of back ups and single layer burning? I am burning my discs using kodak and Sony DVD-R at X2 using IMGburn.

3) Is the structure of the HBC/hacking of the Wii scene such that users that remain on 3.2e will never need to worry about not being able to play new releases? What I mean is, will the relevant cIOS updates and .wad files needed for certain titles always support every firmware?

4) Occasionally, when playing my purchased PES2009 disc it crashes completely during the opening FMV sequence. I can hear the drive struggling but after a reset all seems to be fine. Again is this just a side affect of softmodding? Like I say after a reset all seems fine but I am just wondering.

5) Accessing the Shop Channel from 3.2e. I don't really need it, but I am just curious as to wither I can still access it and what I would need to do in order to do so? Internet Channel works fine from 3.2e.

6) If I do get semi/fully bricked I have read starfall is useful to recover. Is there any specific settings I would need to install from the package besides the bottom three options. Should I get a version of Preloader that is compatible with 3.2e and can work alongside Starfall(is that even possible?)

7) With the Wii's internal memory being only 512mb, is there any real danger of overloading the thing if all I am doing is housing HBC/Wad manager/starfall/ backup launcher cIOS upgrades and game saves? Any app that could let me manage this kind of thing? Is any title deleter the way to go here?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and I must say all the information and help this site provides is top notch!

D

Deleted User

superman101 said:
i have a quiestion, how do people have that thing on their startup screen (normally the health screen), that takes them to different things??? and if i do get a brick, how do i use preloader if i have a brick???

For that, we install Preloader along with another application.

We don't use Preloader, we install it. There's a guide somewhere by me.

QUOTE(curdstar @ Apr 9 2009, 07:32 AM) Hello folks! My first post on these boards so I guess it was always going to be in the NooB section!
Still, I suggest you to read and search because your questions are only a few pages back.

Having just installed the HBC by rolling back to 3.2e and installing Starfall, Back up launcher and cIOS36rev9 and with everything working fine(for the most part) I just have a few quick questions...

1) I see that there appears to be a safe way to upgrade to 4.0, but is it really worth it if like I say I have everything functioning properly? So far as I can tell it seems to be only worth it if I wanted the SD card features of 4.0 but is there a little more to it than that?
Yes everything works fine. Trucha will be blocked though.

2) When playing back up games, I have noticed some FMV/cut scenes don't run entirely smoothly. Is this just a side effect of back ups and single layer burning? I am burning my discs using kodak and Sony DVD-R at X2 using IMGburn.
Side effect of backups. This question has been asked many many times before. Due to the fact that the Wii reads DVD at 3x, FMV stutters.

3) Is the structure of the HBC/hacking of the Wii scene such that users that remain on 3.2e will never need to worry about not being able to play new releases? What I mean is, will the relevant cIOS updates and .wad files needed for certain titles always support every firmware?
Yes.

4) Occasionally, when playing my purchased PES2009 disc it crashes completely during the opening FMV sequence. I can hear the drive struggling but after a reset all seems to be fine. Again is this just a side affect of softmodding? Like I say after a reset all seems fine but I am just wondering.
Possibly, but I heard that PES needs something. But don't quote me on that.

5) Accessing the Shop Channel from 3.2e. I don't really need it, but I am just curious as to wither I can still access it and what I would need to do in order to do so? Internet Channel works fine from 3.2e.
Install the latest shop channel update along with IOS 61.

6) If I do get semi/fully bricked I have read starfall is useful to recover. Is there any specific settings I would need to install from the package besides the bottom three options. Should I get a version of Preloader that is compatible with 3.2e and can work alongside Starfall(is that even possible?)
We use Preloader, and chuck away Starfall. Starfall is pretty much outdated. And no, there aren't a release that can cope with Starfall.

7) With the Wii's internal memory being only 512mb, is there any real danger of overloading the thing if all I am doing is housing HBC/Wad manager/starfall/ backup launcher cIOS upgrades and game saves? Any app that could let me manage this kind of thing? Is any title deleter the way to go here?
If anything for installations, the Wii DOWNLOADS first. So if the space aren't enough, error will come out during the downloading process.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and I must say all the information and help this site provides is top notch!
Then, if you appreciate GBATemp, do search and read. Most of your questions has been asked countless times.

ASSPOP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi Guys, im a total newb on installing cIOS_rev9 on my wii so i can use the hard drive loader. This is what i get.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5172/img0189dns.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7453/img0190f.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have IOS254
IOS 37

which i try to delete with anytitle deleter and it doesnt delete them. It just says

Error 2011

then if i try install cIOS 36_rev9 it gives me another error saying error (-1)

I put it in the root directory named "IOS36-64-v1042.wad" of the sd card. But I'm not even able to delete the damn ios's... i have a 3.4u wii with a modchip installed.
I havn't installed any custom IOS's before this. This is my first time.

then i try any title deleter to see if it will let me delete some IOS but this is what i get.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3387/img0193kqs.jpg

curdstar

Trophies
XP
Country
afif95 said:
superman101 said:

For that, we install Preloader along with another application.

We don't use Preloader, we install it. There's a guide somewhere by me.

QUOTE(curdstar @ Apr 9 2009, 07:32 AM) Hello folks! My first post on these boards so I guess it was always going to be in the NooB section!
Still, I suggest you to read and search because your questions are only a few pages back.

Yes everything works fine. Trucha will be blocked though.

Side effect of backups. This question has been asked many many times before. Due to the fact that the Wii reads DVD at 3x, FMV stutters.

Yes.

Possibly, but I heard that PES needs something. But don't quote me on that.

Install the latest shop channel update along with IOS 61.

We use Preloader, and chuck away Starfall. Starfall is pretty much outdated. And no, there aren't a release that can cope with Starfall.

If anything for installations, the Wii DOWNLOADS first. So if the space aren't enough, error will come out during the downloading process.

Then, if you appreciate GBATemp, do search and read. Most of your questions has been asked countless times.

Thanks for the feedback and I will be more resourceful in future by using the search facility!

I dare say I will be back at some point though!

Thanks again

EDIT: I wasn't too clear about PES2009. The game(purchased) works fine, it just sometimes crashes on the FMV intro, but once I reboot and reload it is fine. I think it might be something to do with playing a backup prior. I had to install the relevant WADS which I obtained no probs by extracting them using WUFE and doing a little searching on the net.

I might well just stick with starfall for the moment as it is doing the job it needs to, but I am tempted by Preloader I have to admit.

outlawpika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a serious problem.....
i recently attempted to change my wii to a pal 3.2e.... didnt know anything about video modes though.....
anyways i restored back to a 3.2u.. all the settings are correct in Anyregion but anything i try to install fails....
my DVD dumper wont work... it tries to mount the DVD and fails.... suspect its because i cant get the cIOS installed.... but anytime i try to run the cIOS installer it gives me an error back... i know its not a bad wad.... ive DLed sevral of them just to check.....
also my wad manager fails to install anything with the err=-1029....
nor does my dvdx installer work...
SD card is formatted correctly to FAT.... i cant think of anything wrong....

EDIT:
ive had all of these working before..... no idea whats up....

Edit2:
generate the actuals wads needed so i know it not the wads.....
my homebrew apps still work just not able to install cIOS or install any kind of wad.....
yet im allowed to remove them?.....

outlawpika

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ASSPOP said:
hi Guys, im a total newb on installing cIOS_rev9 on my wii so i can use the hard drive loader. This is what i get.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5172/img0189dns.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7453/img0190f.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have IOS254
IOS 37

which i try to delete with anytitle deleter and it doesnt delete them. It just says

Error 2011

then if i try install cIOS 36_rev9 it gives me another error saying error (-1)
i only got the -1 error when i ejected my SD card.... just to point out.....

Fildy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3.2u wii with hbc, gamma loader and starfall.

I recently started having a problem with the system memory. It wont show anything. I want to reformat my wii system memory, but want to make sure that I wont brick in the process.

So....Is it safe to format my system memory? Once I have formatted my system memory and go through the twilight process over again, is there any steps I can skip? (I.E. Do cios stay on the wii?) Do I Run a risk of bricking if I try to rehack after formatting?

Thanks and Cheers,
Fildy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.