Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I got OoT3D recently to install homebrew on my New 3DS XL, running on the latest firmware. After some tinkering around, getting the save injected and all, I finally got homebrew working. Yay!

I've tried four times already to downgrade. It does it successfully with no errors when downgrading. First time with the sysUpdater update for N3DS and the next three were with safeSysUpdater. However, each time I did it, I had a soft brick upon boot, where I had to boot into safe mode and update to fix my system.

I ran the downgrade files through SafeSysUpdater, and they're all okay. I posted about this on Reddit, and it seems like the solution is to format my system in order to downgrade. Is this the only way to do it? I have Pokemon Yellow and Tomodachi Life, which can't have their save data backed up...

I think you can back up Tomodachi Life save using svdt. I used svdt to move a save from a hacked o3DS cia to a non hacked N3DS with a Sky3DS sav file. Worked like a charm.

Hua Quang Loi

Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys, so im completely new to this, please enlighten me.
my currently console firmware is 10.6 and i have little knowledge of these downgrade things. now i want to downgrade my console to 9.2 to install CFW.
so in order to use OOTHax or Ninjhax i would need to have a hard copy of Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time 3D, am i right?
I am currently using the japanese version 3ds so i'll use this JPN : 9.2.0-20J (full) downgrade pack for my console, am i right? or the (update) file?

Nak123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One final question, The only game I've played so far on my n3ds is Ocarina of time, and so I want to make sure I don't lose those save files after downgrading (it would even make me less hesitant to format). So are those save files saved onto the 3ds game itself? or are they saved onto my SD card which i can copy and paste into my PC?

-Thanks

Segtendo

#TeamMarie
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
By what I said over on Reddit, it sounds like I'll need to backup my saves and format my system to get homebrew working on my 3DS. Is there a way to do that and get back my friend code, friends list, etc.?
I think you can back up Tomodachi Life save using svdt. I used svdt to move a save from a hacked o3DS cia to a non hacked N3DS with a Sky3DS sav file. Worked like a charm.
I was able to back up Tomodachi Life, but all I got from it was a text file. I've decided that I don't mind losing my Pokemon data because I'm only in Cerulean City. Also, 3D Gunstar Heroes won't load on svdt, for some reason.
One final question, The only game I've played so far on my n3ds is Ocarina of time, and so I want to make sure I don't lose those save files after downgrading (it would even make me less hesitant to format). So are those save files saved onto the 3ds game itself? or are they saved onto my SD card which i can copy and paste into my PC?

-Thanks
For the game cards, the files are stored on the cart itself. For digital files, it's on the system. You only have to save your files if you have to format your system. Your games and such will remain if you downgrade.

Last edited by Segtendo,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mmk thanks for your help, Still lookin for a working download link for the 9.2 pack for n3ds, so I've got plenty of time i guess.. :/
Ill pm you one. Also if you do go ahead and downgrade, make sure to get downgrade_check so you can find out if it worked and tell me or someone else what mismatches you got.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello, I'm new to this and would love to receive some help:

I have a New 3DS version 10.5 and I would like to downgrade it to 9.2.

I downloaded the 9.2U full pack from the website, I'm running browserhax and I ran SafeSysUpdater to check for everything and it all returned as Good. But I run SysUpdater and it shows only a black screen.

I read that someone else in this thread had the same issue but they were able to downgrade it through SafeSysUpdater, but if I try to downgrade it from there it only says INIT HAX, and stays stuck there. Still able to restart the N3DS without issues.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Launch FTBrony and mash B like shit. Also safesysupdater doesnt work for sure it uses the old memchunkhax.

By what I said over on Reddit, it sounds like I'll need to backup my saves and format my system to get homebrew working on my 3DS. Is there a way to do that and get back my friend code, friends list, etc.?

I was able to back up Tomodachi Life, but all I got from it was a text file. I've decided that I don't mind losing my Pokemon data because I'm only in Cerulean City. Also, 3D Gunstar Heroes won't load on svdt, for some reason.

For the game cards, the files are stored on the cart itself. For digital files, it's on the system. You only have to save your files if you have to format your system. Your games and such will remain if you downgrade.
First question no. You dont need to format if you dont want to, so if you have important stuff just dont, I've downgraded without format without a hitch.
When you downgrade you dont lose game save data. BTW the txt is the backup so if you go into recovery and update back to 10.6 just use that txt to overwrite the data.

will tinyformat delete my 3ds apps?
Yes.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

Segtendo

#TeamMarie
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
First question no. You dont need to format if you dont want to, so if you have important stuff just dont, I've downgraded without format without a hitch.
If I recall, all the games are stored on the SD card if you buy digital, correct? If so, could I just take those off my SD card when I try to downgrade, then put them back on when successful? Like I said, I heard that formatting might be the solution to my problem, but I read that I might not be able to downgrade due to the amount of games I have.

Last edited by Segtendo,

pre10c

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So if the console is 10.6 then just use oot3dshax or ninjahax to get into hbl and just downgrade straight away? Just want to make sure because so far I only downgraded 10.3 consoles with menuhax.

wadaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello guys!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this whole scenario and even tho I've read a lot about this I still have a lot of questions.
I recently got myself a N3DS XL with 10.6 update and I'm going to get a hard copy of OoT anyways because I'm a fan of the series.

The thing is I don't really know how to access the entrypoint through the Powersaves.
Is there a Noob Friendly Guide or a good video explanation for the OoThax + Powersaves that currently works on 10.6?

I tried reading the yellows8's guide but I find it a bit confusing at times and I'm afraid I'll end up bricking the system for something I may miss.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will doing this and then installing CFW or the new arm9loaderhack cause me to lose my stuff? Like saves, play coins, all the street passes and Mii's I've collected (I have several hundred with multiple countries haha), etc?

AsemuAsuno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account just to conmment, holy shit I love you, 5 3ds's all first try, first success no bricks. Guide is so simple. Thank you!

Also I did not need to format my memory card. :D

FYI 3 N3ds
2o3ds

Nak123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So everything worked perfectly, Thanks to everyone that replied to my comments :D

I've got 9.2, so the first thing I should do now is get rxtools cfw?

Also, I'm planning on getting a bigger SD card (currently have a 4gb one), should I wait till I get the bigger one, or will the next things I do on the ds (in regards to emunand) be installed on the 3ds itself and not on the memory card?

Last edited by Nak123,

pre10c

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So everything worked perfectly, Thanks to everyone that replied to my comments :D

I've got 9.2, so the first thing I should do now is get rxtools cfw?

Also, I'm planning on getting a bigger SD card (currently have a 4gb one), should I wait till I get the bigger one, or will the next things I do on the ds (in regards to emunand) be installed on the 3ds itself and not on the memory card?

nope emunand, and every installed cia goes to your sd card. so depending on when the sd card arrives you might wait if you can.

pre10c

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
so this downgrade is still working on 10.7? and hos is styability of this sysupdater version? have there been alot of hardbricks?

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
so this downgrade is still working on 10.7? and hos is styability of this sysupdater version? have there been alot of hardbricks?
Confirmed to work on 10.7.
There have been no hard bricks due to sysUpdater crashing (not any that were reported by people following this guide). But there have been a couple of soft bricks for n3ds users because of not system formatting, and a couple of hardbricks due to installing the wrong CIA files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum