SwingBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey folks!

I haven't messed with flash carts since I bought an original R4 back in 2007. I've tried looking over the GBA temp wiki as well as a few of the cart websites, but am afraid I still find myself a bit in the dark. I currently own a New 3DS with (presumably) 9.8 firmware. I'd like to get a flash cart that works with both Original DS and 3DS games, on my N3DS, with minimal issue/effort (I think I saw some required workarounds to work on the N3DS). If necessary, I don't guess it'd be the worst thing to have to get two carts, one for DS and one for 3DS, if such is necessary.

Another question I've had is, would a flash cart work properly with the GenVI Pokemon games? I've read they use a different save method than most other games, and I wanted to make sure they were compatible with flash carts.

Finally, with the glut of resellers out there, I was hoping to get recommendations on the cheapest legit sites to purchase from. I've seen a *lot* of disparity in device pricing from site to site, and want to make sure I'm making an informed purchase, since some of these things get pretty freaking expensive.

In summary, my needs:

- Recommendation of a flashcart compatible with N3DS 9.8+
- Recommendation of flash carts for DS/3DS games as applicable
- Advice on where to shop for the best deal
- Any other info I'm too noob on the subject to know I don't know

I greatly appreciate your time and assistance!

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3ds since you're above 9.2 for 3ds

Sky3ds.com and sift through the resellers section.
or a number of people here recommend https://www.peachds.com/?product=/sky3ds-for-3ds/

Ace3ds for DS games since it's cheap.
Bought my flashcart from here, you can check any of the other sites on Sky3ds that resell their cart as well.
http://www.modchipwarehouse.com/ace...ite-p-4.html?zenid=7qm1q7s46pkk9f8kapo9114ak3

If you're going to play online with any of the 3ds games, you'll either need access to a 3ds on 9.2 or lower FW to rip one of your retail carts - buy a header from someone - or buy a powersaves adapter.
You'll need a private header to inject into the Sky3ds template so you don't get temp banned (currently bans are temp) by nintendo.

Using one of these programs:
Sky Army Knife - what i'd recommend.
No Ban No Sky

SwingBlade

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, usernametaken! I bought the Ace3ds along with a save dongle for Pokemon purposes...

Could you explain the bit about the header more to me, or direct me to somewhere that can do so plainly? I've long been on the fence about buying a Powersaves Pro anyway, and if that is the easiest method to resolve making the Sky3DS functional then it'd probably be my most practical option.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First I should mention, that some games may not work with powersaves (Pretty sure a number of people have mentioned this on the forums)

This seems like a pretty good guide for using powersaves to extract your retail carts headers though
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-get-your-private-header-using-powersaves.385511/

Every game has a header (Its like a signature for each cartridge), but it's only used for online purposes. This is how nintendo checks if you're using a real cart (game) or a flashcart.
The Sky3ds template has public header(s) for every game it supports. When there's more than one person online at a time with the same header, you risk getting the 2week - 1month (on average) ban hammer.
Using a private header protects you (currently) from these bans though. So long as you're the only one using that header to play the game online, you'll be fine.

Edit: Just to note, if you play a game using the Sky3ds, then later apply a header to the game in the template file, your save will no longer be usable since they're tied to the headers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.