Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like all 8BitDo compatible controllers will stop working then and users will have to buy "authorized" low quality crap ones (coff, coff, PowerA and alikes).
As far as I am aware the 8BitDo Xbox controllers were made in a collaboration with Microsoft and are officially licensed.

Reactions: retrospect

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
That's a new low. You know you fucked up if you did something that not even the most notorious companies out there did.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like all 8BitDo compatible controllers will stop working then and users will have to buy "authorized" low quality crap ones (coff, coff, PowerA and alikes).

Nice move MicroSucks, "awesome" gaming experience for your more and more limited gamebase.

Another reason not to buy anything xbox related stuff... checked.

Who's next sunny?
If 8BitDo chose to cheap out and skip whatever authorisation Microsoft requires, this is on them.

Reactions: Skelletonike

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If 8BitDo chose to cheap out and skip whatever authorisation Microsoft requires, this is on them.
8bitdo has officially licensed xbox controllers in their line up, and I highly doubt Microsoft would allow them to cheap out on those. If they don't have the hardware in them they're probably going to be put into an exception list just for optics. The bigger question would be about the non-xbox branded 8bitdo controllers. Those are generally identical in every aspect except the color scheme and that they offer a wider range of compatibility. I wouldn't be surprised if those get locked out.

Reactions: retrospect

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen alot of pro customer moves in the last 2 years from ms. This is completely the wrong direction. Do I own my system or do I just rent it.

as gaming systems become less hackable we migjt stary to see more and nore dictitorial moves like this across the board. all to try and squeeze every last cent.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Thankfully this doesn't effact me bacauee I don't own an Xbox, but depending on how this will go by, this will either be a massive disappointment or not much of a problem to see some of the controllers not being able to work.

Reactions: console

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd wager this is to specifically block Aliexpress crapware.
Any worthwhile 3rd party already has a license going on.
People feeling all enraged for something so basic blows the mind.

Besides the known 3rd parties, what decent replacement gamepad you can get? None.

I would also go and advance that this is to make it impossible to use tailored gamepads that might give advantage in online games.

I would break the news differently, instead of blocking the device outright, but the idiots running the show are idiots.

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Xbox Series X/S controllers had hall effect triggers and joysticks to make them driftproof, then people wouldn't have cared about getting cheaper alternatives :rofl2:

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move.

Whilst it wasn't for controllers, MS have blocked certain unlicensed accessories in the past:
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/xbox-360-update-blocks-unauthorized-memory-units-19-10-2009/

This combined with MS reportedly questioning the future of Xbox, I'm not really surprised TBH.

I'd wager this is to specifically block Aliexpress crapware.
Any worthwhile 3rd party already has a license going on.
People feeling all enraged for something so basic blows the mind.

Besides the known 3rd parties, what decent replacement gamepad you can get? None.

I would also go and advance that this is to make it impossible to use tailored gamepads that might give advantage in online games.

I would break the news differently, instead of blocking the device outright, but the idiots running the show are idiots.

I suspect it's more about revenue, considering the Xbox supports things like KB/M.

Personally, I think doing something like this mid-gen is a stupid BS move because you're going to have people who already have the hardware and it will just annoy people.

If anyone is going to pull a move like this, it's better to do it at the start of a gen where you have a bit of a clean slate and the consumer/manufacturers are aware from release that you have to buy licensed hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...