No Man's Sky Lag/Stuttering

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Skeet1983, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I recently purchased No Man's Sky for PC and installed it today. I am experiencing some lag/stuttering. I thought I met the minimum requirements. My laptop has the following specs:

- Windows 10 64 bit
    - 8GB System RAM
    - intel Core i7 Processor
    - 2 Nvidia GTX 870Ms with 6GB each in SLI mode.

I read on other sites that the game requires 4.5 OpenGL? I checked DXdiag and my laptop/graphics cards do support OpenGL 4.5. Not sure what else to do and how to proceed. Thoughts and help GREATLY appreciated :)

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    its a really bad port, you are not alone (read steam reviews)
    devs are saying they are working on fixing it

3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    You should return it until they fix the problems, as you can see from the Steam reviews the port is seriously bugged (arkham knight levels of bad).

4. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    Whoa now... it's not THAT bad. The main issues are the fact the game requires a GPU with OpenGL 4.5 support, and a CPU that supports SSE4.1 and they confirmed they're working on fixing the SSE4.1 crash. They also plan on fixing the other issues but they recommend everyone update to the latest drivers in the mean time (AMD just released a new driver for ex.) however if your GPU doesn't support 4.5 you're shit outta luck.

5. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    My Laptop Nvidia GPUs do support OpenGL 4.5 I believe (It said in "System Information" in Help Menu in Steam). Just wonder why I am experiencing lag/stutter. Been looking all over internet tonight for help/info: Went to Nvidia GeForce Forums, google, etc...

6. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    Hello Games recently posted on steam stating they're aware of all the issues people are experiencing and they'll be releasing a fix in a new experimental branch:

You can read more here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/275850/announcements/detail/812158047918689921

There's no telling if it'll fix the stuttering you're experiencing though but at least they're aware of it. We'll all have to wait for the newest patch though which hopefully comes out soon because I'm one of those people who has a CPU that doesn't support SSE4.1 (game crashes at start) so I can't even play the game :(

Last edited by Vanth88, Aug 13, 2016
  7. Finn_

Finn_ Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2016
    United States
    It seems like a lot of games have a rocky start on PC. I remember having a lot of trouble running Mortal Kombat X during week one, but past that it was fine. I assume that a lot of the problems with the framerate will become somewhat less severe within the next month.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm suppose I'm one of the lucky ones who has had a relatively playable experience with the game. Framerates drops, sure, but it never falls below a playable framerate for me on high settings (using an i7 4690K and GTX 980 Ti).

For the OP, does anybody know if the game is able to use SLI graphics, or if it's locked down to the first GPU?
    Edit: just looking at the steam forums, seems it's the latter - no SLI support until a driver update supports it, and even then it's likely only to be a minimal improvement unless the devs optimise it for SLI (and considering the lack of optimisation so far, it has a long way to go).

Last edited by Originality, Aug 13, 2016
    Finn_ likes this.