Hacking No GBA rom will load (only white screens)

john1620b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I received my G6 Lite yesterday, and to my disappointment, nothing plays on it. I only wanted it for playing GBA games/homebrew, so NDS isn't an issue. Here's the deal:

After opening my G6 Lite, I tried putting GBA roms on it through drag and drop (which works, from what I've read numerous times on forums). When I put the G6 Lite in my DS Lite, it started up fine in GBA mode. However, whenever I would start a GBA rom, it would show the loading timer count up, and then go to a white screen. No rom would go past the white screen.

So, I emptied the roms off of the G6 Lite, then loaded them on using the G6 U-Disk Manager. I used the .gba files (not .zip files) and encoded different ones using Software, Hardware+Software, and Hardware. When I put the G6 Lite back in my DS, again none of them worked. The same white screen every time.

I then re-formatted the G6 Lite (to FAT16), ran the maintenance utility, then loaded roms on with the U-Disk Manager. Same white screen for every rom. I tried different Software/Hardware options, still didn't work. I tried re-formatting the G6 Lite again, loaded more roms on, and still: none of them worked.

Has this problem happened to anyone else? Is my G6 a piece of crap, or is there some way I can fix this? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

gr33dy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting...

-Are you absolutely sure that you are in GBA Mode (press "Y")? (You can not run GBA ROMs from NDS mode.)
-What games (specifically) are you trying to play? Have they been verified (CRC checked) against a known "good" list?
-Do NDS ROMS load fine? (I realize you only want it for GBA/Homebrew)
-What version of the G6 Loader are you using?

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I see that you're from Japan, maybe your ROMs have Japanese characters in their name and thus do not work. Just randomly throwing out ideas there...

john1620b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gr33dy:
Since I wasn't interested in NDS roms, I didn't buy a passcard. (Before I bought it, I made sure a G6 Lite would run fine in GBA mode without a passcard, as noted in these three threads.) So I'm sure I'm in GBA mode, because that's the only way it will load. And, consequently, I can't test NDS roms.

My loader version says it's 4.4 when I check in GBA mode, though I've updated to 4.6C by putting the g6loader.sys and g6verify.sys files on and running the G6 Update option in GBA mode. (Roms had the same problem with both 4.4 and 4.6C.) It still says 4.4 in GBA mode after I update to 4.6C -- is this normal?

As for the games I've tried to play, here's the list (all are (U) - US except where noted):
Advance Wars
Black Matrix Zero (J)
Castlevania - Circle of the Moon
Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance (E)
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Final Fantasy V Advance
Golden Sun
Legend of Zelda - Minish Cap
Legend of Zelda - Four Swords & A Link to the Past
Lost Vikings
Megaman Zero
Megaman Zero 2
Metroid Fusion
Mother 3 (J)
Snood
Snood 2 (E)
Super Mario Advance
Tetris Worlds
Warioland 4
I have not CRC checked them (and am not sure how to do that) but I don't think the roms are the problem: NONE of the roms above worked on my G6 Lite, and ALL of them work on my computer using emulators (they run fine in two different emulators, in fact). On my G6, I can't even get to an intro screen. Also, I downloaded all the roms from different sites, so it's not any one site's roms.

Pikachu025:
I'm an American living in Japan, so all of my roms (and computer, and DS) are US. Though I did try other regions of roms ((E) - Europe and (J) - Japanese) after reading your suggestion, just to be sure, and those also didn't work.

juggernaut911:
I have updated my loader, at least five times. I have tried both the 4.4 version and the 4.6C version, and still have the same problem. I tried downgrading to 4.4 after upgrading to 4.6C, and vice versa, and still nothing loads.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

phyee86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey! I get the exactly same problem like him!!!
Can somebody tell me wat happen?
cry.gif

john1620b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where did you buy yours from? I bought mine from BambooGaming.com

I'm exchanging it, by the way. After trying everything, I'm pretty sure it's faulty. The part that makes me angry is that I have to pay to ship it back. But, that was in the warranty terms on their site, so I guess I can't blame anyone but myself for assuming that my G6 would be fine.
nyanya.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The G6 has RAM on the cart for GBA games. It loads GBA games onto the RAM before it plays them, but DS games are played directly from the flash memory. If the GBA RAM is defective, DS games will play, but GBA games will not.

john1620b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From my original post:

"After opening my G6 Lite, I tried putting GBA roms on it through drag and drop (which works, from what I've read numerous times on forums). When I put the G6 Lite in my DS Lite, it started up fine in GBA mode. However, whenever I would start a GBA rom, it would show the loading timer count up, and then go to a white screen. No rom would go past the white screen.

So, I emptied the roms off of the G6 Lite, then loaded them on using the G6 U-Disk Manager. I used the .gba files (not .zip files) and encoded different ones using Software, Hardware+Software, and Hardware. When I put the G6 Lite back in my DS, again none of them worked. The same white screen every time."

So I've tried both.

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Yeah, it sounds like it could be your RAM. Just in case you should re-format, also, are you receiving the "Initiliazing please don't turn off power?" Another thing you need to try to do is leave your G6 inside of your computer overnight, just incase your battery has died. If it's a defective battery it can sometimes affect the RAM......

john1620b

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Update: I sent the G6 Lite back to BambooGaming. They tested it and said that it worked with three of their ROMs, and were going to just send it back to me, but I asked them for a new one instead. I was sure that if I got the same G6 Lite back, it would have the same problem. I didn't think they'd send me a new one since they couldn't duplicate my problem, but they said "Sure" and sent me a new one. I got the new one last night, and fortunately, it works perfectly. I can now run every GBA rom (and even every GB and NES rom) that I have.

Moral of the story: If you're consistently getting the white screen of death, send it back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson