No 480p on HDTV?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by zzhou, Mar 19, 2010.

1. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    I have a Pal Wii (brought it with me, it is modded - so I am not going to buy a new one).
    I have Panasonic P46G10 that I bought in US (obviously, it is NTSC).

I became quite adept at navigating menus blindfolded [​IMG] so I can switch it to 480i - and at that that point I get a decent picture using component cable (actually I would never be able to tell it is interlaced (I'm turning it on blindfolded [​IMG] ) if not my tv menu showing the resolution. If I switch to 480p the TV simply goes blank.

I always thought that 480p does not depend Pal/NTSC...

Questions:
    1. Is the problem in TV? (I haven't found any setting in the TV menu to select mode for the input).
    2. Will it cure the problem if I hack the Wii to change region? Is there any hardware diffences b/ween Pal and NTSC Wiis? For one I noticed that standby led on my Wii is red and it seems to be yellow on the NTSC wii at my work.

2. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    Hmm. For whatever reason 480p now works (I tried switching it on several time - this time I thought I will try switching the inputs once it goes black - but it didn't)...

I guess the problem is with TV. Panasonic screen is gorgeous. But the software is utter crap. I had a Sony RPTV (like 4 years old) at home - it was awesome, with many setting and sweet options (like clock on the screen) - and Panasonic is completely irritating. But still - I can live with bed software as long as their colors are so wonderful [​IMG]

3. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    That's a new one. NSMB in 480p shows obvious interlace artifacts (teared image) while 480i is much more smooth. I guess the TV is trying to "improve" the picture...

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    is NSMB PAL?

5. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    Hmmm. I always thought it was NTSC back-up (the one that appeared first). I guess I need to try the official copy - I bought it here so it is obviously NTSC.