Nintendo's Wii HDD Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by toasterhead219, Oct 22, 2008.

Oct 22, 2008
  1. toasterhead219
    OP

Newcomer toasterhead219 Member

United States

2. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    smart like, doubt it could hold the amount of game i have though hehe

3. turkish_punch

Newcomer turkish_punch Member

United States
    I don't mean to nuke your thread or your fun, the video is very interesting ,but has been seen before. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3348

Would be amazing if we could get this capability. In the video you submitted it is very obvious that the wii is a standard wii while the older video could have alternative hardware. It would be nice if the Team Tweezer team could get a hold of a display console to ensure that the software and hardware is the same as the ones consumers purchase. If everything is the same, then every wii as the capability to run an external HDD. However, the external HDD could be modified itself ,but I personally doubt it.

4. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    It would be (very) cool, yes. But it can NOT be achieved without a hardware mod. (Which I dislike, I'd rather have USB support (which is impossible due to slow read speeds).

EDIT: Didn't read the store part. I agree with ^, a display Wii should be analyzed by a hacking team. We'll see what's possible with the normal Wii then.

5. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    mind you ive not seen any videos of it loading games but its deffinately not fake, maybe noones bothered to record any videos while at hospital lol, poor blighters must be bad lol

6. night_chrono

Member night_chrono GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for the 80 BILLIONTH TIME. USB 2.0 is faster then a drive speed of 6x

7. KirovAir

Netherlands
    for the 80 BILLIONTH TIME. USB 1.1 is slower then a drive speed of 6x. (or even 3x!)

3x is already achieved.
    Wii has 1.1 USB slots, not 2.0 so the drive speed would be even slower. [​IMG]

8. turkish_punch

United States
    I don't see any reason to suggest a fake, we already have one source from the Children's Hopital (the like I already supplied) and the newer video which has some game variations. ie Updated Madden and no Hannah Montana on the store console.

Loading a game from USB is far from inconceivable. First of all since the Wii has no HDD it must already have an appropriate caching system for running games from DVD without have to swap memory or do any kind of writing and reading to the non-existent HDD. Then the wii has USB 2.0 which has transfer speeds far exceeding a 6x read rate from a DVD compare 480Mbps to 6x10.5Mbps. Then if you had a HDD loader, the game 'images' would not be stored in 4.4-8.7GB isos like they are on game disks. Rather they would more than likely be stored like PC video games or at the very least an extraction of the ISO. A HDD loader that is not intended for comsumer use would also likely negate the need of encryption and other security features. All of this is speculation of course.

My problem with the new video is at the end. The person recording the video shows us the back of the console and doesn't even go any where near the USB ports. Presumably there may have been nothing there so there may well have been some modification.

Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

9. turkish_punch

United States
    All sources I have seen indicate USB 2.0 so I put the burden of proof that it uses USB1.1 on you.

10. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    I know yeah, its either 1.1 or 2.0 make up your mind.

11. KirovAir

Netherlands

I'm 100% sure the wiki is wrong (at least about the speed, could be 2.0 porsts with 1.1 speed). Because I readed here that the 1.1 speed was the only limit from creating a HDD backup loader.

12. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    you are right about that, but the speed i software limited, cause the USB ports are in fact 2.0 working on 1.1

13. turkish_punch

United States
    Who is software limiting? Nintendo or Homebrew developers... I will have to do a Internet Speed test through the datel ethernet adaptor; I don't use nor trust wifi. Anything over 100KB\s would indicate that USB2.0 is software and hardware enabled through the Opera Channel.

14. Scha

Newcomer Scha Advanced Member

Norway
    USB 1.1 is 10 MBit.. right? so that would be what.. 1100kbyte/sec or something

15. toasterhead219
    OP

United States
    i'm gonna put my money on its 2.0. thats what the wiki said a while back and it just makes sense. if they wanted to use it for some crazy new feature or add on, which the wii has quite a few of, then they wouldn't limit themselves with speed.

16. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    so anyone setup a Paypal donate account and then buy a Children Hospital Wii, let some team check it out and then donate it to a Hospital.

A Win - Win situation.

17. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The stock wii running a hdd menu is in the Nintendo Store in NYC and it's sister store in Japan. That is the ONLY two that exist. The others are another (crappier) proprietary system.

So get the idea of someone dumping the software/hardware to this device out of your head. It ain't gonna happen in the lifespan of the wii.

18. toasterhead219
    OP

United States
    someone getting their hands on it is indeed highly unlikely, but its a really cool interface and would be awesome to have some unknown amount of time down the road.

19. jam3972

Newcomer jam3972 Member

United States
    isn't an HDD loader not too far away?

there's already plenty of homebrew that can use usb HDDs such as vmplayer

add WiiGator's new launcher code to that and to me seems like a logical step? maybe not as pretty a menu as this official one, but I would think the code isn't too far away.

this is, of course, wild speculation and I would love for someone to point out where I'm thinking wrong.

(is the problem that all the current homebrew usb apps run it at 1.1 speeds?)

20. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    right now the usb sppeds a way to slow for a hdd loader. the first thing what had to be done would be coding a working usb 2.0 driver. it seems like nintendo already did that, but i doubt it will be released with a update. there was a guy, with some experience in low level driver coding, here looking for help. but a couple of people, including well known sceners like markan, started to flame and kicked him out of the #wiidev irc channel. there point was, that there is no reason for a 2.0 driver except of piracy and they don't support piracy and don't wanna be related to piracy. i think he just dropped the idea of working for the community. thats pretty sad, because i think a good working usb 2.0 driver would be great for wiili and other projects too.